Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Did anyone get to see them at the old ice rink, which is now the Odeon cinema?
Where they as good a team as some people have told me?
tigers_programme_cover_1950_400high_s.jpg

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Used to watch them regularly when we were down on holiday and they were indeed the best of the best - the Man U of the ice rinks in their day!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Would have loved to have seen them. Back in the day, bloody crap council turning ice rink into a muddy car park and a cinema, when we had the Cannon cinema all along.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Man Utd. Arsenal. Chelski all rolled into one team. Got in free a few times, had to skate round and push the ice scrapings down the hole, into what was supposed to be an underground river at the back. I don't suppose it was , probably just a drain.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Well I apparently went several times, while my Mum was pregnant with me. It must have made some sort of impression because I am now a season ticket holder at my local rink (watching MK Lightning). Growing up though all my parents used to talk about was how good the Brighton Tigers were. I believe they even once defeated the mighty USSR as it was then.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Bloody hell looking into the history the beat the Soviet Union in 57.
So we have a great team and the council turns there home into a cinema, sounds familiar!
I love Brighton but i have always felt the powers that be have never been behind sport in our community.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Really were they that good?

Genuinely that good.
Ice hockey was a big time sport in the UK in the post war years but rinks were almost all municipally owned and as they were closed in the pressure for local authorities to redevelop in the 60's and 70's it slowly died and by the early 80's had almost disappeared. Brighton, sadly. was a distant memory by then but I often watched Solihull in the latter part of the 70's and would talk to regulars whose eyes lit up that I had been lucky enough to follow the Tigers

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I believe that the core of the team were ex Canadian servicemen who stayed on in England after the war; a number of them lived off Edward street, just up from Dorset Gardens

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The father of a childhood friend used to play for them. A beast of a man. I got elbowed by a Brighton fan having a swing at a Portsmouth fan in our FA Cup tie when they invaded the North Stand. He picked up the Portsmouth fan and handed him over to the police. :legend: :bowdown:

Noddy11

Nov 24, 2011
They were awesome and i have been lucky enough to play with a couple of them and get some of their stories first hand. Real brighton born legends like Mike O'Brien are all to quickly forgotten. Brighton still had Ice hockey teams all the way through until the early naughties when the present club was mothballed. Even without an ice rink (queens Sq does not count)we still had several players who played at semi, professional and interntional leve. We still have a hardcore of players who travel to London for training and games each week.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Genuinely that good.
Ice hockey was a big time sport in the UK in the post war years but rinks were almost all municipally owned and as they were closed in the pressure for local authorities to redevelop in the 60's and 70's it slowly died and by the early 80's had almost disappeared. Brighton, sadly. was a distant memory by then but I often watched Solihull in the latter part of the 70's and would talk to regulars whose eyes lit up that I had been lucky enough to follow the Tigers

Its so interesting i come from a Brighton family, in which half loved their sport. But all of them would talk passionately about the Tigers. Would have loved to had the chance to see them with the other 4,000 on Thursday night.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
My dad used to love them and watched them all the time in the 50s and 60s. He always said they were the best Ice hockey team England EVER had. Seem to recall him saying there were quite a few Canadians in the team. They were the final part of the holy trinity: Albion, Sussex CCC, The Tigers.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Tiger-131.jpg

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey Club, 1953-1954.
Back row: Bill McDonald, Johnny Oxley, Bob Kelly, Lorne Trottier, Bob Bragagnola, Jim Herriot, Bobby Lee (manager and coach).
Front row: Gilles Trudel, Freddy Sutherland, Allan Bucholz, Mike O'Brien, Lea Hardy.
Missing: Fish Robertson, Merv Kahoot, Mike Daski.
From the SS Brighton Archive

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My dad used to love them and watched them all the time in the 50s and 60s. He always said they were the best Ice hockey team England EVER had. Seem to recall him saying there were quite a few Canadians in the team. They were the final part of the holy trinity: Albion, Sussex CCC, The Tigers.

What colours did they play in, is it the same as the programme, yellow and black?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here