Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists riding in the dark no lights & wearing black

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
If someone hits one because you can't see them - who's to blame?

What is it with these people? If its dark you should be wearing something reflective at least.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Fully agree with both of you. These people give all cyclists a bad name. I just don't understand why anyone would take such an obvious risk with their own safety.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It is a legal requirement that they use lights. As far as I remember flashing lights are acceptable if it isn't too dark (i.e. area where there are street lights).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It should be as illegal as driving in the dark with no functional headlights.

It is - fixed penalty of £60. I know someone who got fined £25 for riding without lights (that was about 20+ years ago).

I agree with Pantani, they're the sort of people who give cyclists a bad name.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I nearly hit one last night. Reversed off the drive and he rode across behind me - no lights/dressed in black, is it some sort of uniform? I missed him by inches. Could've damaged my car!

Bet if I had hit him it would have been me got done (f not maybe I could go back and have another go :) )

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Totally agree with the OP - cycling at night without lights is suicidal, especially as there are far too many vehicle drivers who fail to see cyclists irrespective of how many lights and hi-vis they may have on.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
This really winds me up - motorists always get blamed for not paying attention to cyclists yet they ride around at night like a pedal powered Batman then moan if you cut them up but you can't friggin see the bastards!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly, the Rozzers don't enforce things like this unless you do it right under their noses and even then They would probably only get a talking to. I've got about 25 years driving experience with no points on my licence but every day I see Cyclists ignoring red lights, cycling on and off the pavement or lacking lights and going the wrong way up one way streets or cycling through pedestrian precincts.
Now if I did that in a car, I would be banned within a week !

Throw the book I say

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Probably the same sort of cyclists who brag (and blog) bout going out to 'play' in traffic, like it's some sort of game, then bleat to high heaven when one of them is hurt in an accident. They ride bikes with no brakes then blame drivers for making them have to jump off thier bikes to avoid a collision, when a cyclist with brakes would be able stop. Too many of them are irresponsible for it to be considered isolated cases, there is a growing number of these selfish people, they know it is impossible to deal with them, you can't tax them, or make them pay insurance. look at the cyclist who jumped a red light and filmed the interaction with the policeman who stopped him, yes the copper was a shambles, but the cyclist was intolerable and utterly offensive. As a fraternity, there is a wretched and significant minority who are an affront to decent society.

D

Deleted member 18477

if i hit a cyclist who was wearing dark clothes and had no lights... i'd probably feel a bit bad but i'd know there was nothing i could have done. i don't drive around with no lights on or walk around in dark clothes in the middle of the road. so why the f*** do these thick c**ts think its ok for them to do just that! tossers all of them!

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Totally agree with everyone on this.

It's the thing that really annoys me at the moment.

I see it every day on my way home from work. I got grief off 2 cyclists today when I pointed out to them that they didn't have lights on.

FWIW, in Oxford they have a scheme where, if you get caught with no lights, you can avoid a £30 fine if you buy a set of lights and show the receipt to the police within 7 days...

http://thamesvalley.police.uk/yournh/yournh-tvp-pol-area/yournh-tvp-pol-area-oxon-oxfd/yournh-tvp-pol-area-oxf-newsitem?id=196164

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The government like to encourage bike riding. After all it's eco-friendly. However in that encouragement they and the police generally allow them to flaunt the rules! Red light busting, pavement then road then pavement!No Lights, no insurance requirement. Multiple infractions up the nearside of vehicles on roundabouts and junctions! Kicking out at vehicles when they do and are cut up by physics! The recent web-hit incident with the london helmet=cam wearing Lycra lout! Whats NOT TO HATE about them?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They should be forced to EAT their bicycle on the spot. That'd teach 'em. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
it is illegal they need lights, and even if it wasnt there retarded for not using them.

When they do that annual offensive nude cycle ride the Police should confiscate their saddles

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sadly, the Rozzers don't enforce things like this unless you do it right under their noses and even then They would probably only get a talking to. I've got about 25 years driving experience with no points on my licence but every day I see Cyclists ignoring red lights, cycling on and off the pavement or lacking lights and going the wrong way up one way streets or cycling through pedestrian precincts.
Now if I did that in a car, I would be banned within a week !

Not supporting cyclists who do anything of those things but it's just not true to say that if motorist break the law they'll be punished. Take talking on mobiles, something like 80% of motorists admit doing it, yet the number that have been fined is derisory.

In an average day, I know that I'll see drivers go through red lights, drive through no entry signs, park on double yellow lines or on zig-zag lines, talk on mobiles and break the speed limit. Thousands of drivers break the law every day for the same reason that cyclists do - because they're not going to get caught. Yes, lots of cyclist are irresponsible but don't try to pretend that lots of motorists aren't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here