Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It has been widely reported that 5 Albion players, as well as 1 Bournemouth player, were arrested yesterday in connection with an alleged sexual assault.

Those players have since been released on bail.

Some media outlets are naming those players. At the time of writing, the BBC are reporting those players to be Lewis Dunk, Tommy Elphick, Anton Rodgers, George Barker and Ben Sampayo.

No charges have been brought. All names associated with this incident are currently seen as completely innocent.

When these stories break, NSC becomes a difficult site to manage. Run for the love of the club and staffed by moderators who do the job without reward, we have no access to media lawyers to help us keep on the straight and narrow. As such some may view our stance as overly cautious. We respect such views, of course, but we also ask you respect our rules as to what can be discussed.

With today's turn of events and associated media exposure, it is futile to try and stop all discussion relating to this incident so we are now going to permit it, within very strict guidelines. Please adhere to these rules if you wish to continue using NSC.

- This is to the be only thread for these discussions - this will help the moderating process. All subsequent threads will be immediately deleted or merged.
- There shall be no speculation as to who did what to whom and when.
- There shall be no speculation as to the alleged victim's identity
- Users should remember at all times that there has been no charges and no convictions.

You should strongly consider this post before passing any comment.You are responsible for all you write. If required all of your user details, email address and IP addresses would be surrendered to a legal authority.

Simply - please use some common sense with each and every post. Any offenders who post speculation will receive an immediate life ban from NSC - no leniency will be shown to anyone. No appeals will be listened to. If in doubt - don't post.

Last edited:

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Argus are a scum paper. Should have waited to see if they did it or not before naming them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
"Six men arrested in Brighton and Bournemouth... on suspicion of sexual assault have been questioned and bailed"

Is that bit new? I hadn't seen the bit where it said they were arrested on suspicion of sexual assualt before.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Will be interesting to see how the national media emphasize the story based on it involving a Premiership manager's son

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I dont agree with the way the Argus present their front page today, I know they need sales but the way it is presented is crass in the extreme considering the young men in question have not yet even been charged. That is all.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I can see Greer and El-abd in centre for a while TBH & IMO I think this would be for the best.

Can't imagine Dunk will start tomorrow but he's got to play at some point. Will certainly make him less appealing to potential buyers this window, which is about the only positive thing that can come out of this who debacle.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
And there are many that think we mods do not converse with whats going on...this is proof!!

Nice one Bozza :thumbsup:

Hmm I wonder if this thread will overtake the word game :)

Have fun guys but please do heed the warnings :thumbsup:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Irrespectective of what is to follow, seeing the Albion connected with such a horrible allegation makes me feel sick.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The Sun got into trouble naming the bloke in the Joanna Yeates case, what is the difference with what the Argus have done? I can't remember what the Sun headline was, but the way the Argus front page looks, it does imply they are guilty by association.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just bad news all around for the players, alledged victim, all friends and family, the club and its supporters.

I hope Gus and the club can operate while the media circus abounds, on the Argus front page the use of club badge and picture of the AMEX not good.

Lets give the team our support and hope everything is resolved quickly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
And there are many that think we mods do not converse with whats going on...this is proof!!

Nice one Bozza :thumbsup:

Hmm I wonder if this thread will overtake the word game :)

Have fun guys but please do heed the warnings :thumbsup:

Get some sleep! :)

well earned :clap:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Irrespectective of what is to follow, seeing the Albion connected with such a horrible allegation makes me feel sick.

But they are no more than that at this stage ... allegations!

They could be made against anyone at any time, without there being a shred of truth in them, and the problem is how that will inevitably lead to a strain on someones charater regardless of what happens now.

At the moment I feel VERY sorry for those players, BUT, if guilt is proved, my feelings will change rather dramatically. For now though, they are absolutely INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. We do get that right in this country at least, even if we don't protect those who are accused on that basis.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Argus are a scum paper. Should have waited to see if they did it or not before naming them.

I totaly agree.

I wish there was some way the paper could be reprimanded for this. Talk about sensationalising the fact.
OK the names are out there now but to emblazon them in the headine.
Surely it would of been more professional to just name them in the main body of the story.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
As for the Argus coverage, the paper was the only media to report the story legally yesterday with it's "five men from Brighton arrested". Just naming the club associates every player with the accusation and then giving ages narrows this further.

The fact is legal action is rarely taken against media when this blatant flouting of the law takes place. The Argus have followed suit and no doubt argue that by naming the five they are avoiding the pitfalls of incriminating those with nothing to do with the accusation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here