Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's a 3G pitch and who can't train on it and why?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Gus on the club website:

The fixture change has naturally proved a headache, but Poyet has praised Wrexham's hospitality.

"We were in a great hotel last night but when it's that good it is very difficult for us to re-book another 20 rooms for tonight. We had a small pitch booked this morning for a bit of light training but now we will need a proper training session, so we need to find a suitable place to train.

Hopefully that will be on the grass but if not we have the option of using a 3G pitch thanks to Wrexham, who have been great to us. Unfortunately we have four or five players who normally do not train on 3G so they will be in the gym if that's the case."

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Like the stuff round the edge of the pitch at the Amex (where the linesman runs) and in the warm up rooms. Artificial grass. Presume some can't train on it as there may be less 'give' in it and it could aggravate certain injuries?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
An up to date, more modern version of Astroturf.

No idea why some players can't train on it.

Problems with knees/ankles maybe?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Like the stuff round the edge of the pitch at the Amex (where the linesman runs) and in the warm up rooms. Artificial grass. Presume some can't train on it as there may be less 'give' in it and it could aggravate certain injuries?

The stuff in the warm up rooms is 4G. (I've no idea what the difference is, but remember them making a point of telling us, it was the 'first 4G in the country...)

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
4 or 5 players who won't train for 3 grand? No wonder we can't get any players in.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
3G is the astroturf which is covered with those little rubber bits that get everywhere when you take your shoes off. The older 1G/2G pitches are covered in water and sand respectively.

I'd guess as suggested earlier in the thread, any of our players with a history of injuries to joints in the leg would avoid them, because they are less stable underfoot?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
3G is the astroturf with those little rubber bits that get every rather than sand/water on old 1G and 2G pitches, I'd guess as stated above any of our players with a history of injuries to joints in the leg would avoid them.

Maybe we just have three or four players who's wives go disco-mental, when they get home from training on 3G, and take their shoes off, covering the lounge carpet with those tiny little bits of rubber crumb?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Less concerned about the training aspect (these guys are essentially super-fit after all) but by the change in hotels - it may sound silly and the usual suspects will doubtless bite straightaway, but anyone who has had to spend an unexpected extra night away and had to move hotels with all the hanging about and farting about it involves will know that it can be ridiculously tiring and put your energy out of balance. Not ideal for focussing for a key game.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The stuff in the warm up rooms is 4G. (I've no idea what the difference is, but remember them making a point of telling us, it was the 'first 4G in the country...)

I'm pretty sure that 3G is one down from 4G. They may even be doing a 5G but 6 is right out.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
3G pitches are fancy astroturf pitches with lots of little bits of black rubber (made out of old care tires) on the surface to give the ball a more realistic bounce. Despite the extra 'spring' it's still not a real pitch and can knacker out your knees and ankles if you play on them too often.

Here in norway most teams have these pitches due to the climate so i play on them at least twice a week. My ankles ache if i play any more than that.

Gus won't want anyone with a slight strain training on it. Rules out half the team then.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do we know who did and didn't travel to Wales?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Less concerned about the training aspect (these guys are essentially super-fit after all) but by the change in hotels - it may sound silly and the usual suspects will doubtless bite straightaway, but anyone who has had to spend an unexpected extra night away and had to move hotels with all the hanging about and farting about it involves will know that it can be ridiculously tiring and put your energy out of balance. Not ideal for focussing for a key game.

Have you seen the hotel they stayed in last night? I wouldn't worry about them too much.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Have you seen the hotel they stayed in last night? I wouldn't worry about them too much.

I've stopped there and I reckon the bill for 30 odd payers and staff must have been around £4K to £5K for one night - I'm not surprised they hadn't got 20 rooms for a second night. Guess they will have to slum it at the Ramada instead :)

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
As said above, 3G is forgiving but not as soft and as easy to turn as on grass. I've got a left knee problem that repeatedly comes up when playing on 3G often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here