Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean Years DVDs

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Having just received my copy over here (thanks dad!) I've just sat through all three disks in one sitting, pausing only for toilet trips and to fetch SNACKS.

If anyone here hasn't seen this...well, I can't recommend it highly enough as it is magnificent. There's so much that's great but some things that stood out for me anyway:

The raw emotion on display. There's a few eyes turning a little dewy at the edges at times; you get great sense of how much it meant to them which is perhaps often kept hidden at the time, in a fairly macho environment.

No surprise maybe but I'd almost forgotten what a gang of tough little street urchins that first Micky Adams side was: heading to the pub from going swimming in the morning, or that about every match featured a mass brawl. We now know that approach was never going to work 10 years later but at the time...great fun. I think I felt so lucky to have a club at all in those early 2000s and then they were SO great and so chock-full of great characters like Cullip and Oatway.

Some of the players who'd entirely skipped my memory...Tony Rougier, Dirk Lehmann, even relatively recent ones like Livermore.

The whole Dean Wilkins sacking saga - still the single biggest mystery of the whole era really - still doesn't really get satisfactorily explained.

Anyway - absolutely unmissable. It made me really fancy a quick JD and coke with the clique in the Sportsman at 2.58pm before going out to get soaked while watching Torquay beat us in the 93rd minute. Brilliant.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For me not enough goals. The interviews are great but not worth 30.00. Also dont like the fact that you have the borders when it comes to the goals. Like a box set of 24 or Boardwalk Empire it should have been six hrs and evert goal from those years. 6/10.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
You'd forgotten Sir Anthony Rougier? :ohmy:

I know, piss poor of me. Now having watched it I dimly remember slightly un-PC rumours on here at the time about the size of his cock.

For me not enough goals. The interviews are great but not worth 30.00. Also dont like the fact that you have the borders when it comes to the goals. Like a box set of 24 or Boardwalk Empire it should have been six hrs and evert goal from those years. 6/10.

I think you might be nitpicking a teeny bit, with all respect. I'm fascinated by these insights as to what went on behind the scenes; I can live without some late consolation goal vs Bury that went in off Aiden Newhouse's ARSE, tbh.

Another point: I ended up feeling a bit sorry for McGhee. I know he had his faults but he did cop some terrible grief over the Leon Knight affair, something which I don't think anyone could have handled any differently.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The whole Dean Wilkins sacking saga - still the single biggest mystery of the whole era really - still doesn't really get satisfactorily explained.

That bit stood out to me as well, Hearing Wikins side of it (almost insultingly offered his old coaching role back with the kids), and Dick Knights ("Dean wasn't too good on the admin or media side of things..." EH ??) just went to illustrate what a stitch-up it all was.

Adams was available and interested, him and DK were still good mates = see ya Deano. Very unfair.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
That bit stood out to me as well, Hearing Wikins side of it (almost insultingly offered his old coaching role back with the kids), and Dick Knights ("Dean wasn't too good on the admin or media side of things..." EH ??) just went to illustrate what a stitch-up it all was.

Adams was available and interested, him and DK were still good mates = see ya Deano. Very unfair.

Unfair but at least it was honestly portrayed. Quite moving seeing DW visibly emotional about the situation, even after a few years.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think you might be nitpicking a teeny bit, with all respect. I'm fascinated by these insights as to what went on behind the scenes; I can live without some late consolation goal vs Bury that went in off Aiden Newhouse's ARSE, tbh.

If I see the withdean years then I expect ALL the goals. Sorry but I dont buy a box set and they leave two or three episodes out because they were the "crap" ones...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If I see the withdean years then I expect ALL the goals. Sorry but I dont buy a box set and they leave two or three episodes out because they were the "crap" ones...

For me it was the interviews that made the dvd's enjoyable. if it was just a goals/highlight reel I would have been disappointed. What we got was an interesting, albeit partial, telling of our struggles on and off the pitch. Fascinating stuff.

Although I do believe Phil Stant's BULLET HEADER was a glaring omission from the goals coverage, so I'd I agree with you up to a point.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I love all the honesty and openess of the players. It was a refreshing change.

Easily the best thing to buy in the club shop!

with the exception of the Gullys Girls calendar SHIRLEY?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

12 years worth of goals ? Really ??

I start flagging on half a seasons worth by the end on those freebies they send out. Goals were not the ONLY story of Withdean, were they ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Look forward to picking this up - when it's a tenner.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My MUM (a fellow STH) would like to buy me something from the club shop for my impending birthday, I'm sure.

I'm torn between this DVD set, or a copy of Build a Bonfire AND the 'college' scarf.

Would the DVDs be interesting to watch more than once? I could just borrow them off [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] to watch...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
12 years worth of goals ? Really ??

I start flagging on half a seasons worth by the end on those freebies they send out. Goals were not the ONLY story of Withdean, were they ?

Goals plus interviews to make it worthwhile. You are not sposed to watch all in one sitting but a season or two at a time like an american tv series. I bought series 4 of madmen the other day. An episode or two a day. Like how i watched boarwalk and game of thrones.

In short its very overpriced for what it is.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh and borrow off hiney hkfc and wozza is right till wait till its a tenner or something.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My ONLY complaint is I felt they skipped past our superb football last season very quickly. Including "that" goal from the Orient 5-0 last season (the long flowing passing move) would've been to great to show how we played last season.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I havnt seen the DVD yet - what comments abou this are made by other board members or shareholders at the time (e.g. Ray and Tony Bloom, Martin Perry etc)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here