Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good lad! Mistakes always there to be learnt from :thumbsup:

I shall be borrowing the meatier torque wrench from work this week for that job as my little one only goes up to 20odd NM.

I shall be following this video for that particular job :)

Btw, what were the threads like on the BB of that frame of his? I had to take mine into the LBS to have the threads re-chased :( Got him to face it up while he was at it too, so he ended up putting the cups on for me while he was at it.

No problem with the threads, the frame has clearly been well looked after.
I've just got one issue, and one oddity.

The fork stem is mahooosive, requiring 7 spacers around the handlebar stem.
I'm not a fan of stacking the bars, esp with 7 spacers above, we've currently got it at 4 below and 3 above, although the bike is a smidge big so that'll have to change to make it fit. (You'll grow into it)

But oddly the seat post clamp, wouldn't fit, it was exactly the same size as the frame, I tried all the clamps in the house.
It took me a while to get my head round it, I even bought a bigger clamp which naturally was far to big.
The frame wasn't marked or anything like that, so I have no idea what clamp the previous owner was using.

Anyway after a little thought I finally solved the problem by tightening a jubilee clip around the frame, 'convincing' the clamp to go on, and then loosing the clip over the clamp.
All good now, but as that was the first thing we did, after I only moderately successfully tried to Mr Miyagi.jnr in the ways of bonding with his bike through T-Cut :lol:, I did wonder if I'd bought a dog and we were going to struggle with everything.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Tour de Yorkshire Route out today. Am moving to Ilkley in a couple of months time! Hoping this will start a cycling renaissance in me! Stage 2 goes past one of the houses we're looking at.

View attachment 91717
I've just started working in Wakefield and will be moving up to Yorkshire next year. I'm hoping to take it the the Barnsley stage.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Very long shot...

...Anyone have a Campag freehub for a Mavic Askium Race wheel kicking around in their spares box that they might want to sell on?

Failing that, anyone want to buy a Sram/Shimano Mavic Askium Race wheelset? In good nick and perfect as a set of Winter/training wheels.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you say anyone, you mean me don't you? :lol:

A - No I don't have a spare freehub kicking around!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
When you say anyone, you mean me don't you? :lol:

A - No I don't have a spare freehub kicking around!

Yes, yes I do mean you :blush:

That's a shame. No harm in asking though, so thanks for the reply.

I'll put the Hunts on the new build anyway at first I think, but ideally I don't want to subject them to too much Winter riding and so was hoping I could get my spare Aksiums up and running instead. Unfortunately it's not easy even identifying the exact model hub I need as Aksiums come in the standard model, race and Elite versions. Plus I'm going to 11 speed, which just complicates things further.

The more I get into this build the more I can see why fishing tackle is so popular :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In my desperate desire to get Jnr's birthday present finished before he receives his Christmas one, I just have indexing to go.
:ohmy: :facepalm:

I have a teeny-tiny slither of confidence as in the test run it wouldn't quite go up to the big ring on the front, or the 2 biggest at the back, so it can't be too far away, can it?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In my desperate desire to get Jnr's birthday present finished before he receives his Christmas one, I just have indexing to go.
:ohmy: :facepalm:

I have a teeny-tiny slither of confidence as in the test run it wouldn't quite go up to the big ring on the front, or the 2 biggest at the back, so it can't be too far away, can it?

I feel your pain, out at least I will be very soon when my turn comes. Next to getting the new chain the right length (I have no old chain to measure it against this time), indexing is the job I'm least looking forward to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel your pain, out at least I will be very soon when my turn comes. Next to getting the new chain the right length (I have no old chain to measure it against this time), indexing is the job I'm least looking forward to.
I had 2 old measuring chains, but saw this a few days ago:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.afwd.clc&hl=en_GB

I'm about 0 for 5 when it comes to indexing, and usually hand it over to be LBS.
But as he's gone (who knew you couldn't make a living off my indexing woes) and I'm yet to make friends with the bloke, I'm going to give it one more go.
Hopefully we can go for a spin and photoshoot tomorrow morning.

Alternatively the boy will need to get used to riding a single speed bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gonna give this fella a crack at the big prize:-

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I had 2 old measuring chains, but saw this a few days ago:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.afwd.clc&hl=en_GB

I'm about 0 for 5 when it comes to indexing, and usually hand it over to be LBS.
But as he's gone (who knew you couldn't make a living off my indexing woes) and I'm yet to make friends with the bloke, I'm going to give it one more go.
Hopefully we can go for a spin and photoshoot tomorrow morning.

Alternatively the boy will need to get used to riding a single speed bike.

I saw that calculation on GCN video. The other two methods involved big ring and big ring without threading through the jockey wheels, or little ring and little ring via the jockey wheels. I shall have to watch the video again at the time of installing and go from there, but the maths formula does feel like the best option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's finished, kind of!
The indexing is functional and therefore, by some margin, the best I've ever done.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Superb @Stat Brother. Straighten the seat though.

That's some drive your gaff has got too.
Funny you should say that, the seatpost is a cheap Cinelli one and it's been an absolute bugger to get right.
Because Jnr needs every inch squeezed out of the bike I want the saddle as far forward as possible.
The moment I do that the saddle takes a nosedive.

I'll get it right eventually, today was only about getting it outside and moving, before Christmas.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good work SB :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Doesn't look like I need worry about getting the chain the right length after all.... as I won't bloody well be doing it! :angry:

Turns out Campag 11 speed chains require a special Campag tool to fit. Yeah yeah yeah I thought, typical Campag nonsense about how death and injury can occur if a fully trained Italian Campag mechanic doesn't fix your bike for you. Only, after extensive reading and video searching, you really do need a special tool when it comes to their 11 speed chains.

Cost of said tool? £152.99 :eek:

So it's either see if local bike shop has said tool, or look into alternative chains like KMC instead and sell the brand new chain.

I'm fast falling out of love with Campagnolo, as the more I get into this bike build the more they are resembling the Apple of the bike world.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There is a Lezyne chain tool which claims to work with 11 speed Campag. At £18.99, do I go for it, or go for a less hassle KMC chain I wonder?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here