Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I have a Kona Kikapu 2005 which has served me brilliantly and am thinking of upgrading, want full suspension again.

There aren't that many bikes for sale at present seeing as suddenly fashionable again so been looking at Kona Process 134 AL 29 2021, can any good NSC people in the know suggest anything better around that price ?

The Kona is a nice bike - but it really depends what sort of riding you'll do re: suggestions. I have a full sus XC Giant Stance (bought after spinal surgery thinking I would need the extra comfort) but I ride it less and less these days tbh as its not really needed for general ambling across the SDW like I do. For "proper" cycling I find it slow and cumbersome tbh, so unless you're hitting somewhere like Bike Park Wales regularly for DH riding, or getting "gnarly" over at Friston etc, do you really need full sus? That Kona looks like a full on enduro bike as well...probably not great for general riding? I would've thought a hard-tail with a decent front fork would be adequate around here.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Kona is a nice bike - but it really depends what sort of riding you'll do re: suggestions. I have a full sus XC Giant Stance (bought after spinal surgery thinking I would need the extra comfort) but I ride it less and less these days tbh as its not really needed for general ambling across the SDW like I do. For "proper" cycling I find it slow and cumbersome tbh, so unless you're hitting somewhere like Bike Park Wales regularly for DH riding, or getting "gnarly" over at Friston etc, do you really need full sus? That Kona looks like a full on enduro bike as well...probably not great for general riding? I would've thought a hard-tail with a decent front fork would be adequate around here.

I do general urban road / bike lane cycling, would a hardtail be that different from full suspension ?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I do general urban road / bike lane cycling, would a hardtail be that different from full suspension ?

I have a Scott Spark 960 2018 model. Its a fantastic bike and under the price bracket of your 2020 equivalent.

What swayed me was the front and rear suspension lockout with remote from handlebars. 3 modes on it, full travel, mid and lock out.

I ride everyday commuting but love a blast through the woods. So full sus for the rough stuff, mid Sus for light stuff and lock it out when I hit the tarmac bits.

Modern geometry good spec gear/brakes.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Are you still using the knobbly tires ?
Do you find the moment you stop peddling You almost stop straight away ?
Like an anchor s been thrown out
If that make s sense

Yes you would notice a difference Between hard tail and full suspension
as some of your effort is absorbed by the suspension

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've quoted the wrong person/bike above so apologies....

If all you do is mainly urban riding and maybe a leisure ride along a tow path or Riverside or a jaunt up and over the downs then you're best bet would be a hybrid MTB.

Not as fast as a road bike but a more relaxed riding position similar to what you have already, they have tyres that can handle things when its a bit slippy but won't fail on a wet manhole cover.

Depends on your budget but the Carrera Subway is well rated for that sort of thing....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Definitely. I have a full suspension Specialized Stumpjumper that I use on Pyrennean mountain trails, and it is brilliant.

In Brighton, though, I wouldn't want full sus. A Hardtail 29er, as well as being less than half the price, is far better suited to both urban riding, and the local trails.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Definitely. I have a full suspension Specialized Stumpjumper that I use on Pyrennean mountain trails, and it is brilliant.

In Brighton, though, I wouldn't want full sus. A Hardtail 29er, as well as being less than half the price, is far better suited to both urban riding, and the local trails.

Thanks, current bike has 27.5 wheel size what benefit would a 29 wheel size have ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My wife rides on 27.5 inch wheels, but she is only 5'5". I am 6'3". They scale up!

Ok I am around 5'11" so 29" wheel is fine ? Presumably a medium sized bike still.

I realise my current bike was around £650 15 years ago but what sort of price for a pretty decent one

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok I am around 5'11" so 29" wheel is fine ? Presumably a medium sized bike still.

I realise my current bike was around £650 15 years ago but what sort of price for a pretty decent one
If you google 'hybrid bike buyers guide' the 'trades' will all have guides:-

Eg https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/hybrid-bikes-buyers-guide-206065

Bikeradar road.cc etc.

There always was a decent second hand market.
I can't for the life of me remember the best website for that, but you'll find a link to it here on geeks :lol:

Assuming you're not looking at a tight budget, I'd suggest setting your sights higher than Halfords.
See what the Giant store has in Shoreham.

NO SUSPENSION.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you google 'hybrid bike buyers guide' the 'trades' will all have guides:-

Eg https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/hybrid-bikes-buyers-guide-206065

Bikeradar road.cc etc.

There always was a decent second hand market.
I can't for the life of me remember the best website for that, but you'll find a link to it here on geeks :lol:

Assuming you're not looking at a tight budget, I'd suggest setting your sights higher than Halfords.
See what the Giant store has in Shoreham.

NO SUSPENSION.

Definitely having suspension, Giant Shoreham has nothing quite like the look of a Trek Procaliber 9.5

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

For the same price as you paid fifteen years ago you will get a far superior bike now. The Specialized Rockhopper Elite is on my radar at the moment - a really good bike for about £800.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/17524/2021-rockhopper-elite-29/

But for £500 you could get the Rockhopper Sport. I'm not sure if the £00 extra is worth it for the Elite, as this is a bloody good bike.

https://www.cycle-revolution.net/bi...MI0In44cCy7AIVjbTtCh3OSg57EAQYASABEgKWWfD_BwE

I know that I am a bit of a Specialized fanboy, but they are always at the forefront with their designs, and their bikes always suit me.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Oh, and 29" wheel would be perfect for you. Try out sizes - large may suit you better. I ride an XL.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

While I'm on a roll, I'll just add that Stat is right, generally, that Halfords should be avoided.

BUT...

The Voodoo Bizango gets fantastic reviews, and mbr (Mountain Bike Rider), who are not affiliated, rated it as the best hardtail under £750 last year. I will be checking this out too.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...bike---16in-18in-20in-22in-frames-448053.html

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/voodoo-bizango

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
quite like the look of a Trek Procaliber 9.5

My lad has a Trek Marlin 29er - stunning bike for the low cost. He basically does the same sort of stuff as you, with a bit of riding over the Downs thrown in...and he loves it. This years range look amazing, and you'd be saving yourself a bundle over the Pro Caliber.

This is the Marlin 7...£660. Tempted myself tbh.

ZTYyZGYwY2E5ZDdmMjM5NzA4MTQ0NWU4NWExMDI4Y2HPIOzcpB3S5qIMQA1cbOeNaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20v.jpg

If its only bike path & urban riding you do, do you need a full carbon top of the range trail machine like the Pro Caliber...even if it is a hard-tail? :shrug: I know they look great, but dont fall into the trap of getting something that is unsuitable for your type of riding. If you intend to progress to proper off road stuff then fair enough but, for now, just stick a pair of slicker tyres on whatever you get and you'll be zipping along a lot quicker.

As Pogue says, Specialized do some great bikes, and they're worth a close look. My 1994 Rockhopper is still going strong, so they're built to last!

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
*Just to add to the list of options...Marin have made a bit of a comeback lately, and their Bobcat Trail range is lovely....as is the Team Marin1 for £1k. Definitely worth checking out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here