Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Anyone done John O’G to Lands End before? (or ‘Jogle’ as its apparently known). Have been roped into doing it next year (2 weeks x 60 miles per day apparently). My main bike is a Giant Rapid (essentially a road bike with straight bars) and I’m fairly sure that’s not going to cut it. Any bike advice/general advice appreciated. One of us is doing it on an old, steel framed Dawes road bike/touring racer on which he’s insisting on fitting a Brooks saddle to ‘save his arse’ although I’m not sure it will. Thanks in advance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone done John O’G to Lands End before? (or ‘Jogle’ as its apparently known). Have been roped into doing it next year (2 weeks x 60 miles per day apparently). My main bike is a Giant Rapid (essentially a road bike with straight bars) and I’m fairly sure that’s not going to cut it. Any bike advice/general advice appreciated. One of us is doing it on an old, steel framed Dawes road bike/touring racer on which he’s insisting on fitting a Brooks saddle to ‘save his arse’ although I’m not sure it will. Thanks in advance.

LeJoG.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I did LEJOG in 2012. We did it in ten days, a total of 976 miles.

When I did it, it was a charity event for Marie Curie Cancer Care - we had full support (so didn't need to carry anything on our bikes) with accommodation organised each night. Is this similar to your trip, or are you going fully laden? :eek:

It was one of the best things I have ever done - I had never ventured up north (except for football) before, and it was great to see what a beautiful country Britain is.

Everyone on our trip did it on a road bike, most on carbon frames. Mine was a Specialized Roubaix, which is designed with comfort on long days in the saddle in mind - and as many on here will know, I am quite evangelical about the Roubaix. Your Giant will probably be fine for 60 mile days, but you could make yourself so much more comfortable (and make it easier, relatively) if you have the budget for a good road bike. Britain is NOT flat anywhere on the route, so make sure that you have adequate gearing to cope with the hills.

A normal road bike saddle is the most comfortable, much more so than a Brooks to my mind. Much more important is your shorts - bibs with a very comfortable pad are a must.

It is a fantastic experience, and I envy you. Make sure you take it all in. There is no hurry - it was great to know that all we had to do was get to the next stopping point. None of the normal pressures of 'things I have to do' that I feel when cycling from home. Take loads of photos. Do lots of stretching. Drink huge amounts of water.

And enjoy the evenings - we had a few pints each night (having promised myself I wouldn't before I left). Good for carbohydrate intake!

I made some great friends back then that I still see, still keep in contact with. It was a truly 'together' experience.

Feel free to PM etc. if you need more in depth advice!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] I've got a pair of horrid overshoes like these. They seem to work for visibility as it's a moving reflective/glowing colour instead of just a static yellow/reflective object. Also, warmer tootsies in the winter is a great bonus
https://www.wiggle.co.nz/bbb-heavyduty-hi-viz-overshoes/

I see your BBBs, and raise you the SealSkinz waterproof & windproof over-socks. Wore mine last winter and they kept my feet totally dry and warm in some pretty horrible conditions.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalo...icGFnZSI6MSwicGFnZVNpemUiOjQyLCJwb3MiOjEyfQ==

Looks like they only have orange at the moment, but I bought bright pink ones that really stand out!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Can’t get the link to work? Asking for account details.

sealskinz-oversock.jpg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I did LEJOG in 2012. We did it in ten days, a total of 976 miles.

When I did it, it was a charity event for Marie Curie Cancer Care - we had full support (so didn't need to carry anything on our bikes) with accommodation organised each night. Is this similar to your trip, or are you going fully laden? :eek:

It was one of the best things I have ever done - I had never ventured up north (except for football) before, and it was great to see what a beautiful country Britain is.

Everyone on our trip did it on a road bike, most on carbon frames. Mine was a Specialized Roubaix, which is designed with comfort on long days in the saddle in mind - and as many on here will know, I am quite evangelical about the Roubaix. Your Giant will probably be fine for 60 mile days, but you could make yourself so much more comfortable (and make it easier, relatively) if you have the budget for a good road bike. Britain is NOT flat anywhere on the route, so make sure that you have adequate gearing to cope with the hills.

A normal road bike saddle is the most comfortable, much more so than a Brooks to my mind. Much more important is your shorts - bibs with a very comfortable pad are a must.

It is a fantastic experience, and I envy you. Make sure you take it all in. There is no hurry - it was great to know that all we had to do was get to the next stopping point. None of the normal pressures of 'things I have to do' that I feel when cycling from home. Take loads of photos. Do lots of stretching. Drink huge amounts of water.

And enjoy the evenings - we had a few pints each night (having promised myself I wouldn't before I left). Good for carbohydrate intake!

I made some great friends back then that I still see, still keep in contact with. It was a truly 'together' experience.

Feel free to PM etc. if you need more in depth advice!

Many thanks for posting that and some serious food for thought there, we’re still in the early stages of planning and your post is very helpful, not to mention a serious reality check! (having done a 600 mile round trip yesterday driving my daughter to Manchester Uni it puts cycling it and much further into cold perspective!) :). As for the Roubaix, I might have to speak to my bank manager, the Giant definitely won’t cut it. Thanks again and will keep you posted/PM.
:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Many thanks for posting that and some serious food for thought there, we’re still in the early stages of planning and your post is very helpful, not to mention a serious reality check! (having done a 600 mile round trip yesterday driving my daughter to Manchester Uni it puts cycling it and much further into cold perspective!) :). As for the Roubaix, I might have to speak to my bank manager, the Giant definitely won’t cut it. Thanks again and will keep you posted/PM.
:thumbsup:

Depending on how you breakdown the ride I wouldn't completely dismiss your Giant.

On top of all the good advise, already, I'll add you should probably invest in some cycling shoes, cleats and pedals, if you haven't already.
Think skiing.
You attach plastic cleats to the bottom of the shoes, these then snap into the pedal.
You'll instantly pedal considerably better and most importantly efficiently.

Also you may well need to change the tyres.
Let us know what you have at the moment, I doubt they are as road specific as they could be.

Depending on it's age you might want to get it in for a service, so your training is smooth.

You'll definitely need a service a couple of weeks before LeJoG and have that incorporate a new chain and rear cassette (cogs)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Depending on how you breakdown the ride I wouldn't completely dismiss your Giant.

On top of all the good advise, already, I'll add you should probably invest in some cycling shoes, cleats and pedals, if you haven't already.
Think skiing.
You attach plastic cleats to the bottom of the shoes, these then snap into the pedal.
You'll instantly pedal considerably better and most importantly efficiently.

Also you may well need to change the tyres.
Let us know what you have at the moment, I doubt they are as road specific as they could be.

Depending on it's age you might want to get it in for a service, so your training is smooth.

You'll definitely need a service a couple of weeks before LeJoG and have that incorporate a new chain and rear cassette (cogs)

God yes, training, I didn't mention that.

You need to do a lot of training, building up the miles week by week and actively seeking out hills, which you then need to cycle up repeatedly.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
To whoever recommended the Rubino Pros, I thank you. Been enjoying riding on them so much that I've just bought another twin pack of them (with only 1000km on the current pair). The 3C compound seems to provide bags of confidence and grip.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Feeling good today. Rode up Gibbon Road in Newhaven at lunchtime & was only 5 seconds off a PB, despite still trying to get the legs back in shape after the layoff. The fact I did it all on the big ring as well made it even better :)

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
oh, tyres, tyres, tyres.

I've had a pair of Pirelli cinturato 28s running tubeless on my commuter this year. The front is behaving itself, but the rear is shot - many deep cuts seeping sealant, squared off - so it's time for a new tyre. Under my rear mudguard I can fit a 28 or a 30. I had a peep about and saw a WTB exposure 30c advertised as tubeless, but alas the reviews are "not tubeless as they leak on the sidewalls". I've now set my sights on a spesh roubaix 2Bliss 30 tyre. Fingers crossed.

Why tubeless? I tend to load 2 panniers up and enjoy bumping off kerbs without thinking about pinch flats. I also find I'm on bridlepaths from time to time as I blindly follow my bike computer instructions.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Schwalbe ONE tubeless for me on the road bike. 28c, nice and comfortable and can run them at relatively low pressures too. They're fast and handle great, even in the wet. Absolute pig to set up on my Reynolds wheels, but once on, it's hassle free. I'd never go back to tubes.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
£1500 to spend on a bike that will be used 99% of the time for commuting 7miles each way Monday to Friday, what should I buy?
Been looking at gravel bikes like the cube NuRoad Race and Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL.
Also tempted by something from Planet X

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£1500 to spend on a bike that will be used 99% of the time for commuting 7miles each way Monday to Friday, what should I buy?
Been looking at gravel bikes like the cube NuRoad Race and Canyon Grail AL 7.0 SL.
Also tempted by something from Planet X

That seems like a lot of bike for not a lot of riding.

I take it you'll not be riding on the road?

If you're looking to 'future proof', as in you expect/hope to eventually ride more, my advise would be, you really ought to pick a discipline, instead of spending a lot of money to attempt to have the best of both worlds but potentially come up short in both.

My friend loves his Mason gravel/adventure, but soon into ownership realised he was a tarmac boy.
As much as he still loves that bike it was a lot of money for something that wasn't quite fit for purpose, but he's ok as his stable also includes a Focus road bike and Scott mountain bike.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This weekend, riding solo, I had a chance for a mash up ride. Options are more limited when I knock for Sir Julian. I went for as much of a bit of everything as possible: flat, hills, familiar roads, new roads, opposite directions etcs. Did some infrequently visited hills and was surprised with the PBs. Removing the chat enabled me to get my head down more and 'enjoy' a bit of a tanked feeling again. I made a woman do a proper scream too. Two of them walking (in jogging gear) down a narrow country lane with a bit of a chicane facing the sun in the middle of the road having a natter hearing a 'good morning' as I picked a gap did the trick.

I'm done commuting this year now. It was fukken chilly in the dark lowlands but otherwise glorious.

Oh 10, I descended Hollingbourne Hill for the first time today. Felt like it ook ages coming down which explains why it is a bit of handful going up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here