Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS have been fighting with Jnr's V-Brakes on his really old second hand mountain bike.

The brake blocks were so worn it nearly killed me when I hopped on it to nip to the village.
Who knew stopping wasn't really a 'thing' among teenagers.

So new blocks have arrived.
I now can't for the life of me get them into the calipers without them being permanently 'on'.

Standard fishing tackle Acera V-brake.
Standard Clarke's V-brake block.

The springs weren't great but I seem to have managed to correct that.

I've gone through all of Youtube's tutorials but still cant get any space with the blocks allowing for some springbackability for the calipers.

Help.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FFS have been fighting with Jnr's V-Brakes on his really old second hand mountain bike.

The brake blocks were so worn it nearly killed me when I hopped on it to nip to the village.

I now can't for the life of me get them into the calipers without them being permanently 'on'.

I've gone through all of Youtube's tutorials but still cant get any space with the blocks allowing for some springbackability for the calipers.

Help.

It's not just teenagers. Nacer and Nairo don't need brakes either :wink:

Good luck with the fishing tackle. Sounds like you'll need it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The first 2 days it was Marty McDonald (who does all the CX races for them, Dan Lloyd, and Bernie Eisel - then the last 2 days was just Dan Lloyd and Carlton Kirby! :lolol:

Ok thanks.

I don't know who the first one is. Don't think I've ever heard Bernie Eisel commentary. I quite like Dan Lloyd, but as they've let Kirby loose, I'll make sure to avoid in future :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Ok thanks.

I don't know who the first one is. Don't think I've ever heard Bernie Eisel commentary. I quite like Dan Lloyd, but as they've let Kirby loose, I'll make sure to avoid in future :thumbsup:

Marty Macdonald is a commentator on SKY, Eurosport, GCN...also an illustrator / cartoonist apparently. According to his Linkedin page he was also the Global PR Manager for Santini for a few years, and also owned "Martys Beanshack" coffee shop in Surrey 2010-13...any Geeks ever stop there on rides at all? Hes pretty good on the mic tbh, and knows his stuff - but mainly focuses on CX as I think he used to compete in that discipline.

It was Eisels first attempt last weekend, and obviously so - very nervous & not as "free flowing" as the others shall we say....He did OK though and I expect GCN will get him back at some point. Dan Lloyd was very good tbh - wouldn't surprise me if he went the same route as Matt Stephens and did commentary for Eurosport in the future, as his involvement with GCN seems to be getting less these days.

First time I've heard Kirby on GCN tbf - not something he usually does I dont think? He and Dan actually made a decent pairing for the last 2 days.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Help.

Im having problems with the V brakes on my new MTB / Gravel conversion too. Im at the point of thinking of visiting my LBS & getting them to sort it for me as I just cant get them right.

45 & I still cant sort out a set of bike brakes....how embarrassing :dunce:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Here is my latest project btw.

Hawk Trakatak (nope, me neither) mid 90s MTB, bought for £20 from a dealer in Hurstpierpoint on eBay. Non QR steel wheels, unbranded crankset, centre pull cantilever brakes, and basic non indexed Shimano thumbshifters.
Sourced a lot of the replacement bits from old stuff I had laying around, friends donations, and a few new bits like the cables / stem adapter / mega range cassette / seat post etc off eBay again. Just need to sort the brakes out, get the chain hooked up properly & adjust the gears.

Less than £100 for the whole build. The most expensive parts were the Schwalbe CX tyres at £15 each, but Im thinking I may go with a set of 26 x 2.0 low profile treads for a bit more comfort during the summer on the hard-pack & gravel (if the ground ever dries out!)

20200218_090806.jpg20200216_114235-01_resized.jpeg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Terrific race coming up tomorrow...the Volta ao Algarve. Some big hitters starting the race this year again, although Degenkolb has withdrawn with illness - replaced by Brit Jon Dibben.
Will be great to see Remco Evenepoel & Matthieu Van Der Poel lining up as well.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/volta-ao-algarve-2020/preview/

If the weather is good we could be in for some beautiful racing the next 5 days live on Eurosport (sorry 1066...I expect its your mate doing the chatting :whistle: )

*Just realised its the start of the Ruta del Sol as well tomorrow in Andalucia. What a week for racing!

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
A supply rep we know well here at work emailed a load of photos over yesterday to me and our Production Manager, who he goes riding with every weekend. They are from his career as a very successful domestic racer back in the 70's (over 200 wins), and there are some cracking pictures. This one grabbed me though (Greenwich Premier Race c.1975, around Woolwich Barracks), as on the front of this group is none other than the late Gary Wiggins, "father" of Sir Bradley Wiggins. Our mate Pete is 3rd in line, and went on to win the 4 up sprint :bowdown:

pete.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I managed to get a sense of function from Jnr's v-brakes.

They ain't great but they do now stop him.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Oh I managed to get a sense of function from Jnr's v-brakes.

They ain't great but they do now stop him.....

....Like an oil tanker, or in less than 5 miles? (give or take) :lolol::wink:

In all seriousness though, I was chatting with my colleague whos a bit of a whizz with bikes, and he said if the V brakes are feeling a little loose, and there doesnt seem to be much pressure in the springs, just bend them slightly to create more tension...and that should help improve the grab & performance of the brakes. Will be trying it myself on my project later.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
....Like an oil tanker, or in less than 5 miles? (give or take) :lolol::wink:

I've not ridden it, but they will stop him which instantly makes them an improvement.

I can't ride it as I get so angry with him when I do.

He's completely trashed a fantastic old mountain bike.
The other day he was full of 'It's had a good run, I've had it 18 months, I ride it every day for my paper round and for school - it doesn't even have suspension'.

It was all I could do to stop myself putting the 6ft 2 gangly poophead over my knee!!

He didn't take too kindly to me once again pointing out 'why are you then trashing your one source of income, transportation and independence?'

Bloody kids, I'm now looking at a new chain and cassette for it, grrrrrrrr.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Was bored of the gym so thought cycling would be a good way to keep fit and healthy! So went out a purchased the Giant Escape 2 disc - had it a couple of weeks now - enjoying the 4 mile ride to work and back! Forgot how hard it is cycling against the wind !!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Was bored of the gym so thought cycling would be a good way to keep fit and healthy! So went out a purchased the Giant Escape 2 disc - had it a couple of weeks now - enjoying the 4 mile ride to work and back! Forgot how hard it is cycling against the wind !!

That'll be the disc brakes make it hard work. Not the wind.

Get a bike with proper brakes on and you'll fly :wink:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Honestly, when I next upgrade my road bike (I'll say it quietly...)

I want disc brakes

Yup, I commute on my disc equipped Orro and it is the norm for me. A shock therefore when I rode in the Peak District a few weeks back on my rim brake bike. I ran out of road at the hairpins at the bottom of a couple of descents. I'm now looking for a new bike!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yup, I commute on my disc equipped Orro and it is the norm for me. A shock therefore when I rode in the Peak District a few weeks back on my rim brake bike. I ran out of road at the hairpins at the bottom of a couple of descents. I'm now looking for a new bike!

I found similar when I joined a cycling club last year (which I haven't been on a ride with in ages...) - I'm at the heavier end of the spectrum, and my weight coupled with the fact pretty much everyone else rides with disc brakes made stopping without taking out the rider in front an interesting experience!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I saw Ned Boulting re-tweeted Corriere Della Sera this morning saying that the Milan - San Remo, Tirreno Adriatico, AND the Giro, are all in danger of being cancelled because of the corona virus outbreak in Italy.
Probably wont happen (especially in the case of the Giro being a way off in May) but worrying nonetheless....

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw Ned Boulting re-tweeted Corriere Della Sera this morning saying that the Milan - San Remo, Tirreno Adriatico, AND the Giro, are all in danger of being cancelled because of the corona virus outbreak in Italy.
Probably wont happen (especially in the case of the Giro being a way off in May) but worrying nonetheless....

My brother lives in Bologna. He says that Italy has gone into full panic mode, everyone is wearing a mask, all the schools are closed, all sporting events are being cancelled. They are virtually in lockdown.

On the plus side, he says it’s 25 degrees with blue skies and sunshine. :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here