Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Nice one. I flew to Girona and cycled back to the UK...what a lovely part of the world. It was back in 2011 but the name just jumped out at me.

I did a write up here ..its the top link, Spain back to the UK.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=1mr&user=Iain1&v=9

Kudos to you! i will have a read of that.

The roads around Quillan are superb, so many beautiful climbs, and it's always hot and sunny.

I can't tell you how much I am missing it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Nice one. I flew to Girona and cycled back to the UK...what a lovely part of the world. It was back in 2011 but the name just jumped out at me.

I did a write up here ..its the top link, Spain back to the UK. (day4 for Quillan)

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=1mr&user=Iain1&v=9

Just sat down with a coffee for an hour and read through your other travelogs listed there - chapeau sir! Some wonderful trips you've documented...although you dont have much luck with the weather! I urge all the other Geeks to read through them if they can :clap2:

Weve done the Normandy beaches & battlefields, but by car, & I've always thought it would be great to take a couple of weeks doing it properly by bike. Still got so many museums to visit, and landmarks to see, that were critical to the D Day operation.

Also stayed at La Chapelle St Mesmin 3 summers ago (twinned with Newhaven down here) just outside Orleans - what a great city that is! Did you see Orleans Cathedral at night with the light & music show? Amazing. Would love to go back to that region again one day.

Weve been to a few of the German areas you've toured through as well (as usual, by car) & I was totally taken with it. Stunning country &, once again, one that I would love to explore more on two wheels.

Well done on all your tours - really quite jealous!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Well, there we have it...the 2020 road season done and dusted. A weird one no doubt, but thoroughly enjoyable....fingers crossed we get back to a more "normal" schedule next year. I did rather enjoy Northern Spain in October though I must say.
Will be good to get straight into the cx season - hopefully Eurosport will be showing plenty of it in the weeks to come.

Right, time for the mudguards, lights, and hi viz to go back on for the winter riding! :down:

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I'm getting a new bike delivered in a couple of days.
I've been advised to use a torque wrench to assemble it but don't have one - always just done it by feel in the past.
Should I fork out for one? What do people think?

Hangullton

Jun 13, 2010
Sompting
I've been advised to use a torque wrench to assemble it but don't have one - always just done it by feel in the past.
It's fairly easy to over tighten bolts especially with carbon parts which can cause (expensive) damage. I'd recommend you get one and not take the risk. Won't break the bank and will be useful for future maintenance [emoji106]

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Do it, they can be had for about £30 online and at least then you know the job has been done right. Just make sure it covers the full range that you need. I've got 3 that cover everything from 2nm up to 210nm.

This should cover almost everything you'd need on a bike.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've started doing no-handers on the rollers. I'm gonna get hurt aren't I?

Maybe I have already banged my head as I fancy doing a bit of CX.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FWI a new tranche of £50 repair vouchers have dropped.

Got mine no probs.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can anyone recommend:

1. Tyre levers - I'm running out - is this normal?
2. Pump - I don't want the cylinder silliness

Getting a rear with a fully intact tyre was a puzzler until I found the matching rim liner crease.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Quick question Geeks.

I have picked up a new (old) frame as a replacement for my project bike I built last year. I can basically swap everything over as its the same era (just a lot lighter!) BUT I want to try and fit bigger wheels so its more of a CX style bike than a 26er.
My mate has given me a set of basic 29er wheels - but they have hubs for disc brakes...whereas I will be running rim brakes of some sort. Before I take them home and start work, does anyone know if they are likely to fit in old style MTB frame dropouts?

Here's the bike with some 700c hybrid wheels off my sons bike (which fit perfectly), just to see how it looks with the bigger diameter hoops. Would there be any major difference in hub width etc for the other freebie set?

shogun.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I see from British Cycling's Instagram account, Geraint Thomas has been aerotesting the British Cycling Hope/Lotus bike in the velodrome.

Possibly considering a tilt at the rescheduled Olympics?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1334942208026415104[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here