Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
7 then lard arse. :lol: :kiss:

Yeah pretty much.

I think you're going to need to introduce a form of regime to your riding, that's what worked for me.

Have a non-commuting set distance.
Ride it at least once a week.
Ride it either too your max, or at/above whatever your average cadence is.

Over a period of time I think that will help become nearer to your new 'normal', just putting the comfortable miles in really isn't going to move the dial.

Either that or train to a big event that's outside your comfort zone.

Signing up for next years 'Sportive over the World Championship course', ought to focus your mind which in turn will make an average ride now seem easy and worth attacking.

Thanks! Would love to do that, but we're having a second baby in November and I'm worried that even standing up will be a challenge by then!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks! Would love to do that, but we're having a second baby in November and I'm worried that even standing up will be a challenge by then!

Possibly not the time to concentrate on your cycling. :whistle:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think you're going to need to introduce a form of regime to your riding, that's what worked for me.

Have a non-commuting set distance.
Ride it at least once a week.
Ride it either too your max, or at/above whatever your average cadence is.

Over a period of time I think that will help become nearer to your new 'normal', just putting the comfortable miles in really isn't going to move the dial.

Interesting concept that. But why not just spin to or from work? Having a fixed regular non commute ride would get on my tits.

I've been looking at cadence [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] but in truth I'm too old. The older you get the harder you have to work to maintain the same fitness. If you want my tips, go vegan and hit the climbs. And mix it up generally to confuse 'muscle memory'.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Interesting concept that. But why not just spin to or from work? Having a fixed regular non commute ride would get on my tits.

I've been looking at cadence [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] but in truth I'm too old. The older you get the harder you have to work to maintain the same fitness. If you want my tips, go vegan and hit the climbs. And mix it up generally to confuse 'muscle memory'.

Vegan? Not against the idea completely but why would that help?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

You had me there. Then you had to go and mention the V word.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], its very good for weight loss. I'm trying to go dairy free and am cutting down on meats. [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION], we aren't pros. Getting assertive with your diet is worth a fair amount of training.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
20190904_113646.jpg

Interesting new case for the Spanish police.....:D

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How can Eurosport offer "coverage of The La Vuelta" ?

That double 'The' is almost beginning to bug me more than Carlton Kirby.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday I was momentarily all excited about cycling again.

Myself and Phil abandoned our arranged ride, because of the weather, but kept to our cake-stop.

I was bemoaning my lack of oooomph, chuntering on, again, that all would be well if I got a new frame, in order to 'Trigger's Broom' my Bianchi.

Phil's listing off makes, to which we're both saying 'no'.
He's poo-poohing anything Italian in favour of Germany.
I'm turning my nose up at all things German.

We head over to France and a light bulb goes off above Phil's head.
"What about that Time bike you wouldn't stop going on about?"

The Time RXR VIP

time-rxr-vip-med.jpg

Boom we're in.

Old enough to have depreciated massively.
New enough to still be an upgrade on my Bianchi.
Hopefully cheap enough I can now afford it.
But exclusive enough to still turn the odd head.

One slight problem:-

I now can't for the life of me find one. :down:.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Vegan diet? Today I tried the Marie Antoinette diet - nothing but cookies and cake all day. About 4ish I feared a mis-fart. Straight to the bog for a detonation. As I got changed, knowing I was about 90 minutes from a bog again, I blew it out again. Pleased not to have white shorts.

I'm tempted to ride with a tyre now. My front feels as rough and wrinkly as Theresa May's labia majora.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], can you put the link up for the cool shoes again please?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Vegan diet? Today I tried the Marie Antoinette diet - nothing but cookies and cake all day. About 4ish I feared a mis-fart. Straight to the bog for a detonation. As I got changed, knowing I was about 90 minutes from a bog again, I blew it out again. Pleased not to have white shorts.

I'm tempted to ride with a tyre now. My front feels as rough and wrinkly as Theresa May's labia majora.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], can you put the link up for the cool shoes again please?

I think the shoes you were referring to were from Planet X. Luck road shoes. I got myself a pair last year, but a quick search on their site is not showing them anymore. I got the white ones, couldn’t quite pull off the bright orange.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yesterday I was momentarily all excited about cycling again.

Myself and Phil abandoned our arranged ride, because of the weather, but kept to our cake-stop.

I was bemoaning my lack of oooomph, chuntering on, again, that all would be well if I got a new frame, in order to 'Trigger's Broom' my Bianchi.

Phil's listing off makes, to which we're both saying 'no'.
He's poo-poohing anything Italian in favour of Germany.
I'm turning my nose up at all things German.

We head over to France and a light bulb goes off above Phil's head.
"What about that Time bike you wouldn't stop going on about?"

The Time RXR VIP

View attachment 114983

Boom we're in.

Old enough to have depreciated massively.
New enough to still be an upgrade on my Bianchi.
Hopefully cheap enough I can now afford it.
But exclusive enough to still turn the odd head.

One slight problem:-

I now can't for the life of me find one. :down:.

Change the name to The Time RXR RIP...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just finished watching today's stage back as live.

What a season it's been for youngsters! I can't remember a season where so many of them have announced themselves in such fine style. It's bloody brilliant! :O

Had Pogocar not crashed in the TTT and lost 30secs to a mechanical on the ITT, he'd be clear in 2nd place already. And even if he does blow up from here and slips off the podium, with two stage wins already it's been a dream debut GT regardless.

Brilliant race again!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This week I recalled two more hills that needed purging. One was sorted yesterday. The other (Sundridge) was scheduled for today.

Spare a thought for Sir Julian. He was informed that today would be hilly yet he still did a long run yesterday as training for a marathon or something. Today, straight up a hill and he was nowhere which I put down to not being warmed up. I then did a PB up Ide with him lagging. I then introduced him to Brasted where I did another PB but with a nice wait/rest at the top. I then dispensed with Sundridge and had another wait/rest. He had a proper work out today.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], your speed thing. I have noticed with my analysis that nearly a year into roller training, I can do some consistent rates whether up hill or on flat but I'm not sure it makes a difference to an average mph.

I reckon every other ride set a few 'peg it' sections. The more you do the better. Eventually, it will fall into place. It is the ascending pace that will 'up' an average mph.

Anyway, this really needs a review by our speed king [MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here