Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow! That was a turn up for the books! Great ride by the break, superb KoM battle and brilliant win for Teuns!

I was convinced the break couldn't survive today. I looked at Meurisse before the stage @125/1 but was sure he'd just get KoM points then the GC battle for the stage would take over on the final climb.

A mention for G too. Great ride today! I was sure the GC battle would be between Pinot and Bernal, starting with today's stage.

As someone wrote on my twitter feed:-

'Perhaps the surprise winner of the Tour will be defending champion G'. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As someone wrote on my twitter feed:-

'Perhaps the surprise winner of the Tour will be defending champion G'. :lol:

I'm now a little bit concerned for Pinot.

Still a good performance today, but really he should have hammered home a bit of an advantage here. Perfect stage for him, home region, perfect weather (he hates it when it gets too hot) and the perfect lead out from Gaudu.

Oh well, as someone once said... It's a snickers, not a sprint :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm now a little bit concerned for Pinot.

Still a good performance today, but really he should have hammered home a bit of an advantage here. Perfect stage for him, home region, perfect weather (he hates it when it gets too hot) and the perfect lead out from Gaudu.

Oh well, as someone once said... It's a snickers, not a sprint :wink:
There's something very reassuring to be living in a world where Movistar so so perfectly Movistar up a finish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
D_NkENQW4AA2_l7.jpg

If ever a picture painted a thousand words!

Top ride from the gorilla today :bowdown:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I get that transitional stages are needed to get le Tour from one mountain range to another. However today seems a little pointless. 230km, of which the last 5km are all that really matter. The mountain points aren't enough to interest any of the mountains jersey contenders, therefore it is only the intermediate sprint and the final sprint that will see any racing as such.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I get that transitional stages are needed to get le Tour from one mountain range to another. However today seems a little pointless. 230km, of which the last 5km are all that really matter. The mountain points aren't enough to interest any of the mountains jersey contenders, therefore it is only the intermediate sprint and the final sprint that will see any racing as such.

GCN were on about this the other day, saying they could probably do with mixing up the tour to avoid such dull days.

The transitional stages could be mixed up with more intermediate sprints, meaning that you need to be in more breakaway groups if you really want that points jersey. Can you imagine 6 or 7 intermediates on a stage, worth more points in total than the group finish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What a stage! :clap:

Three beautiful victories in one there.

Crash aside that is. Never nice to see that.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My heart was in my mouth when G went down. De Gendt... what a man!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My heart was in my mouth when G went down. De Gendt... what a man!!

I really have mixed feelings about G and crashes. A big part of me believes no one crashes that much through bad luck alone. Yet I do believe that some folk are just unlucky.

Hard to tell today exactly what happened in that crash. Thankfully everyone seems ok. And hard to say anyone profitted directly from the crash as race was already full on at that moment.

One thing's for sure. It will be edge of the seat stuff all the way until the end hoping and praying both G and Pinot make it to the end without incident.

And yes... What a man Sir Thomas of de Gendt is :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet Jules Big Al and Phil is gutted that he didn't have a creditable companion to get the stage victory.

That said I'm well happy for Tommy The Ghent, a very infectious nutter.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Had to contend with this happening on the way to work at 0510 this morning.

IMG_20190714_214116.jpg

No idea how it happened, all I do know is I managed to get from Rottingdean to Brighton Station with 1 pedal and still not be late for work. Can't be bothered taking it back to where I got it from as its only a couple of months old, I'm just using it as an excuse to upgrade the crank and pedals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read yesterday that de Gendt AVERAGED 311W for the 5 1/4 hours he was out front on Saturday. Insane.

I cycled to work everyday last week, on my busy work week.
Which meant I worked (on my feet) for 60 hours and cycled 152 (non Strava so it didn't happen) miles.

I'd like to see The Ghent matching those kind of numbers. :lolol: :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another (unsurprisingly) spectacular region of France

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I wasn't expecting this an hour ago.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
What a stage! I managed to sneakily watch the last few k at work.

It seems that every time there is a crosswind, it is the same few teams that benefit... Making me wonder whether wind is something that only exists in England and Belgium!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Stunning country.

Every year I say Im going to go out there and ride for a couple of weeks during the summer - every year I fail miserably to do it.

I know. If only we knew someone with a B&B out there so we could all meat up and have a best friends' cycling holiday. (And perhaps more importantly no wives to put the mockers on such a plan.)
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], on the one hand glad to see you are still riding - I was worried you had AIDs or something. On the other, why not pop the commutes on strava you poof?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here