Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe I'll chuck the bike on the turbo and see if I can get the technique nailed before trying it on the road!

I eventually got a turbo, having sworn I wouldn't go near one.

It's made a huge difference to my riding that's for sure. All in a good way, mainly in terms of cadence.

Was a huge help in shifting a fair bit of weight over this very wet Winter too. Probably got fitter and lighter from lots of short HIIT on that than I ever did from mile crunching out in all weathers over my favourite time of year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION] I've been giving some thought to the old advice I picked up about climbing.
I can't quite place it and it is written here, somewhere... :lol:

If I remember rightly

Eat 10 mins before a big climb (on a decent length ride)
Note and regulate your breathing
Drink well on the last flat before ascending.
On a straight forward climb get into the gear that guarantees reaching the top.
Sit in and concentrate on your breathing
3/4ers of the way up assess your plan to the top. (steady or sprint)

The key take away is your breathing, big lungfuls in through your nose out through your mouth.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
That is useful, I find myself panting on the climb I usually do (it isn't long, but it is long enough!!). I'll keep my breathing in mind - the other points too, but the breathing one seems like something I can really focus on.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is useful, I find myself panting on the climb I usually do (it isn't long, but it is long enough!!). I'll keep my breathing in mind - the other points too, but the breathing one seems like something I can really focus on.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Yeah, sorry that really should have been the first bit of advise.

I'm no personal trainer but I think I can safely say the pain/burning and general struggles of going up hill is largely cause by a build up of lactic acid, which in turn is an oxygen deficiency.
So ideally you ought to match your breathing to your cadence, assuming you're not spinning out!
While also keeping all other movement to a minimum.

I ought to warn you though.
I have an incredible blind spot when it comes to nutrition and food groups.
I genuinely have no idea what foods are starch, protein, fats etc and what each group does.
(Really no idea, I just can't learn it, honest)

So all of the above might just be bollox.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], ignore everyone apart from scientists. There is no silver bullet. It takes time.

You have to recalibrate your red zone. You can't do that overnight. You do it after a couple of months of commitment. Lots of static training and go as vegan as much as possible. They go hand in hand. As you drop weight your heart has less strain to take. This means you can go further and faster up a climb without noticing it. It also means you can get out of the saddle more easily.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1278657625887059974[/tweet]

CYCLOPS junctions

CYCLe
Optimised
Protected
Signal

Skimming over the document that the link takes you to, it certainly reads like it was designed primarily thinking of cyclists, rather than a wholistic approach - want to make it so cyclsts aren't affected by the traffic lights, is relying on intuition for cycle/cycle or cycle/pedestrian interactions, but lights for cycle/traffic ones. I can see a number of cyclists speeding through their lane, expecting pedestrians to give way, and lots of pedestrians crossing without looking expecting cyclists to stop.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Unlike [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION], I have been looking at other chaps' average ride speeds with some envy. Going solo this morning, I decided to address that by getting my head down in the flatlands. I think I pulled it off and tentatively offer up my best statistical 'long' (66 mile) ride. 3,200ish feet ascending with an average of 17.1. I'm pleased with that. My legs aren't.

I also think/hope I have an answer to my creaking. I have a partial saddle collapse. When out of the saddle, no creaking... Also right next to my hamstring problem. I want to get fitted for a new one but have at least a month to wait. Ar5e.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Been struggling with motivation the last 2 weeks (as the roads have got stupidly busy again?), but got out for a ride last night on the local trails. I have to admit, Im loving gravel riding more than any other discipline right now, and Im seriously thinking about selling the MTB (which barely gets used these days) to get myself a proper gravel bike. I find it the perfect blend of both worlds....I much prefer the "road" position on a bike, and with so many easy trails locally I can get some decent miles in right from my doorstep.

Anybody else ride a gravel bike, or thinking of making the switch?

20200706_203558-01_resized.jpeg
20200706_204236-01_resized.jpeg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Been struggling with motivation the last 2 weeks (as the roads have got stupidly busy again?), but got out for a ride last night on the local trails. I have to admit, Im loving gravel riding more than any other discipline right now, and Im seriously thinking about selling the MTB (which barely gets used these days) to get myself a proper gravel bike. I find it the perfect blend of both worlds....I much prefer the "road" position on a bike, and with so many easy trails locally I can get some decent miles in right from my doorstep.

View attachment 125795
View attachment 125796

Calling Doctor No.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Paris - Roubaix - anyone ridden the etape? If so, would I be ridiculed for doing It on a MTB (my excuses are RSI in wrist and shoulder rotator cuff deterioration)?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Finally! Took bloody ages to find anywhere to get a bike online during lockdown, but.....

Delivery day today

bike.JPG

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Paris - Roubaix - anyone ridden the etape? If so, would I be ridiculed for doing It on a MTB (my excuses are RSI in wrist and shoulder rotator cuff deterioration)?

I’ve done it, with@Hamilton.

It was bloody painful, and I had blisters on my hands afterwards. Brilliant, though.

Quite a few mtbs were there, and no one gave them any stick, out loud anyway. Go for it, I say

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings

View attachment 125795
View attachment 125796

I converted an old steel frame into a semi gravel bike with the wider tyre clearance and yes love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here