Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone else venturing over to Belgium this weekend for a couple of classics? Apart from Tour De France in Brighton years back and the occasional Milk Race passing along the seafront, lve, never seen a professional race. My cousin is very in to it so we are travelling via Eurostar on Thursday to watch the E3 Harelbeke on Friday on the Kwaremont, then the Gent-Wevelgem on the Kemmelberg on Sunday. Staying in Ypres.

I've been addicted to watching the 3 Grand tours on TV over last few years, so very much looking forward to seeing these nutters up close, with lots of Belgian beer to savour, and the history of Ypres to soak up too!

How was your trip?

We had a great time!
Riding with The Lion of Flanders himself being the clear highlight :O

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Riding into work today I came a right cropper around Waterhall (coming north to south). Basically wiped out just before the tunnel under the A23.

Someone saw me checked to see if I was OK and said I probably came off due to the oil spill that happened last week, which it seems is this:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17554362.extensive-oil-spill-across-a27-causing-slow-traffic/

There were no signs of an oil spill and clearly it hasn’t been cleaned up sufficiently to prevent accidents occurring. Everything was fine and then all of a sudden it was like being on ice.. I am quite pissed off TBH. The right hand side of my body is pretty beaten up and I have a nasty cut on my hand. My bike is damaged, I need at least a new rear mech hanger and probably a new rear mech. Luckily no broken bones.

Do I have any grounds for compensation, at least to cover the cost to fix my bike (£70 if rear mech needed) on the basis BHCC didn’t clean up sufficiently and/or put up any warning signs? This happened last Friday, no like an hour before I arrived.

Goes without saying if you are around there take it very easy!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Do I have any grounds for compensation, at least to cover the cost to fix my bike (£70 if rear mech needed) on the basis BHCC didn’t clean up sufficiently and/or put up any warning signs? This happened last Friday, no like an hour before I arrived.

Yes. Go for it.

Sorry to hear that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Over 3 years of Brexit social media-ing this is the very first overtly 'Leave' thing I've seen from someone connected with cycling.

The fact that it's a shop owner as well is all the more curious as he seems to be completely at odds with his customer base.
The Twitter replies follow very much the same tone as [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]'s in that Wiggle would seem to be doing rather well on the back of that 1 sign.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Quiet this morning at work, so been looking through my year so far on Strava. 870 miles to date which Im pleased with as I never get this many done so early - but even more pleasing is that I've managed 38 PR's, 1 KOM, & a 6th O/A - all on uphill segments.
As a rider whos always struggled when the road or trails go uphill (5'11", 200lbs), Im chuffed to bits that getting the miles in early this year is paying off & Im seeing the improvements :clap:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pompey fan Phil is doing Roubaix this weekend.

He said he went on a reccy ride yesterday and found himself riding the cobbles with a couple of fellas from UAE Team Emirates, Phil thought they made him look amateurish. :shrug:

Once again pointing out just how great cycling is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll attempt to keep a long convoluted story short.

On Sunday Lil Miss Stat (13) had the arse
Finally she plonked down on the sofa.
I was watching German Eurosport.

At this point they were in the 6 man break.

I said to LMS "so who's going to win?"

She looked at the screen and German commentary and replied:-

"Well Peter Sagan doesn't look like he'll win".

:lolol: Not many 13 year old girls would have said that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here