Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I had my sensible head on. Maintain enough pace to keep the heart pumping the blood and the brain releasing adrenaline. That and to avoid pot holes. Calling the emergency services, Mrs M, was not an option. Only yawn was half a mile from home.

Up there will my most favorite ride. Roads were pretty empty. But going so off manor wasn't wise. I did a clipped in Zaha trying to read road signs in the middle of nowhere. Not quite the route in mind but we had to improvise to keep return ETA in check. Much hillier than expected.

A huge fluke, not only back within a few minutes of sunrise but also another 100er. I won't pretend that was planned.

Thank you bike for being spot on. Them chinese torches were awesome too.

Right now I feel what rhymes with completely plucked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS.

I had a torrid time on my commute in the week.
It was the day after Easy 10 implied we were all vermin, and I gave him a hard time.

So naturally I put my p******* and subsequent issues down to karma, c'est la vie.

The final issue was a broken spoke 298mm straight pull spoke.

The spokes on my 'spare' wheels - Nope
LBS - Nope.
Halfords - (unsurprisingly) Nope.
Southdown Bikes - Nope.
Grizzling to local friend of friend who works for Strada - Nope, couldn't bring myself to do it, for one spoke.
Amazon as I have a few pence left on a gift card - Nope although they did have ONE SPOKE by Halo - £124.00

So I have finally resorted to buying 1 spoke from ebay for £3.50. :rolleyes:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
My old Scott has bizarre length spokes. My LBS fabricated one the right size and only charged me an extra NZ$5 for his effort.

One area of the bike in a chicken about touching is truing wheels and replacing spokes. Cost vs effort means the LBS can do it for me.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My mate got knocked off his bike today by a car. Happily cruising along the Lewes to Newhaven road past the Kingston Garden Centre on his way home from work...and a car pulled out from the junction opposite & turned right into the back of him.
Thankfully only cuts and bruises, although his elbow is a right mess, and his bike is a bit of a mess too. Back wheel is mangled (he had only put a new one on the evening before), and the carbon frame is scratched up badly - but expect he will have to get it checked out for frame cracks etc. Someone else who was there gave him a lift home thankfully, and he is insured, but could've been so much worse knowing the speeds cars do along that road.

The drivers first response...? Just the standard "I cant believe I didn't see you".

If you're taking your time at a junction, and looking properly for any other road user, you probably would've seen him......:annoyed::facepalm:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Someone else who was there gave him a lift home thankfully, and he is insured, but could've been so much worse knowing the speeds cars do along that road.

Rotten luck to be hit, but good that he's mostly OK.

One thing I only realised the other day is if I use a bike path then I'm more likely to be hit by an uninsured person than if I'm on the road. I'm especially thinking about some of the faster bits of bike path along embankment where head-on crunches do happen. Luckily I've never needed to use my BC insurance, but I've kept it going since the kids started cycling to school.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Time for a cycling accessories rant.
What is it with every light now coming with nothing but a poxy elastic band for attachment?
Front lights come with a "quick release" rubber band that splits after about 12 months, rear lights come with nothing more than an elastic band that looks like it'll fall off if you fart near it.
What happened to the good old days of needing a screwdriver to fit/remove accessories? At least that way you knew they were attached and wouldn't fall off when you hit a pot hole.

Grrrr!!!!!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What is it with every light now coming with nothing but a poxy elastic band for attachment?
Front lights come with a "quick release" rubber band that splits after about 12 months, rear lights come with nothing more than an elastic band that looks like it'll fall off if you fart near it.
What happened to the good old days of needing a screwdriver to fit/remove accessories? At least that way you knew they were attached and wouldn't fall off when you hit a pot hole.

Grrrr!!!!!!

I think it depends on the light. I quite like the Knog blinders with their stretchy attachers. I had too many screw tight fall offs.

Anyway, I've been exercising demons this week.

A few years ago I got broken by a couple of hills (one near home and Toys Hill) and never went back. This week coming home, I beat the local one - not saying it was easy but I never felt it wasn't on.

Today we went straight to Toys. Again, not saying it was easy but I did it. The thing with Toys is once at the top, you are pointing at Hogtrough. They are completely different; Toys is nasty near the top whereas 'Hog' is nasty at the bottom. With Hog, you don't even have to go there as you can go left or right. At the bottom you see the nastiness immediately. Again, not saying it was easy but we did it. Had a couple of others to 'pace' us up which helped.

At the time, a third nasty one was not looking likely but as we approached, I knew we had to go for it.

I feel like I'm on a roll. All the winter rolling and mild winter riding has paid off. But I know when I feel good, something is just round the corner to stuff it up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh dear god.
I'm just back from a commuting return trip to Worthing.

Coming back a woman passed by at the Cake Cafe Ferring.
Got caught at the level crossing.
Passed again on the bike path at Asda.

She was fully laden, panniers, rucksacks, mermaids tale, the usual.

But...

...but from the waist down she was seemingly only wearing knickers.

Having overtaken, one of her panniers fell off, naturally I stopped to help, before she set off in front again.

TBH I was feeling somewhat guilty for being a filthy creep, which I took as being progess. lol.

I was with Lil Miss Stat. :down:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Oh dear god.
I'm just back from a commuting return trip to Worthing.

Coming back a woman passed by at the Cake Cafe Ferring.
Got caught at the level crossing.
Passed again on the bike path at Asda.

She was fully laden, panniers, rucksacks, mermaids tale, the usual.

But...

...but from the waist down she was seemingly only wearing knickers.

Having overtaken, one of her panniers fell off, naturally I stopped to help, before she set off in front again.

TBH I was feeling somewhat guilty for being a filthy creep, which I took as being progess. lol.

I was with Lil Miss Stat. :down:

Are you sure they were panniers?? You did mention she was only wearing knickers. :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you sure they were panniers?? You did mention she was only wearing knickers. :whistle:

Honestly she must have been wearing knickers, all shorts have sides and a back. :lol:
It was just arse across her saddle.

We went our separate ways at the garage crossing, but saw her again round the corner from my house.
I guess I should have offered to fix her pannier!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Grrrr!!!!!!

I noticed the same so bought a fancy light that mounts directly to the stem using some fancy longer bolts, unfortunately the stem that came with the bike uses M6 bolts rather than the more standard M5.

Long story short I now have a new stem on the way, along with some carbon handlebars and some bright green Easton grips.

Help me, I have a problem.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No Cav at the Tour.

Even thought he is out of form, I wasn't expecting that.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yeah, I couldn't see him winning the green, but he's still got plenty to give and is a marketable name.

I guess I'm gonna be cheering on Bardot for yellow and anyone but Sagan for green this year.

Dont fancy her chances of yellow if shes riding that bike tbh....:wink:

Brigitte-Bardot-Bike-2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here