Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Esp for Fignon

2 from 2 for Cav

[tweet]1381937400075665408[/tweet]

Which is nice.

Oh and out for coffee with my mate Phil, last week.

You'll be pleased to know he spent 5 minutes slagging off Stan's cycling cafe, completely unprovoked by me.

That's what a year after it closed down?

Never let it be said we can't hold a grudge. :lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
But is he "back"? :shrug:

As good as it is to see him winning again, the quality of sprint competition is pretty poor in Turkey this week. I reckon Philipsen is the only one who would really be capable of beating him (apologies to the Gorilla), but even hes still very up & down with his form from race to race.

Put Cav in a bigger race with the latest generation of fast men, and I doubt he would be near the top 5 across the line tbh....

Its a nice way to bow out this season though I guess.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cav winning always brings out a smile.

Enough of this sprinting. Time for climbing. And science.

It has taken me six weeks to get to a minimum satisfactory fitness, so now the bumpy rides can return. That said, my normal last couple of miles after a lot of flat sees a mini ramp (no in between - attack or mince - strange that) before a long mostly gentle hill. I have noticed that I cannot find a good gear and want a new half way gear. Anyway, my plan is to find more comfort by using the rollers better. I am now having a focused 15 minute session in the highest gear, building up to 100% from 2/3 time is the goal. It is a grind at my comfortable climbing cadence; 73ish. I get the best training is on the asphalt, but hopefully before too long those sessions will see faster climbs as the consistency under controlled conditions pays off.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Cleaned the bike at the weekend with a power washer for the first time as it was absolutely FILTHY - came up really clean in no time at all. Only problem was, it took the main down-tube decals straight off :facepalm:
Quite liked the plain frame look, but decided to change things up a bit by putting some new silver decals on, white bar tape up front, & a new set of Mile Muncher tan walls.

Bike is looking fresh and summer ready :)

20210414_184500-01_resized.jpeg

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
For the first time in over a year I went out on a ride for something other than work, with friends! First time off road in a very long time, 10 years+ I'd say.

The body took a bit of a battering and I almost binned it due to getting stuck in a deep rut at one point but I bloody well enjoyed it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Going out riding the next couple of days with friends...but the big question is:

Do I wear the winter gear as we are starting out early, or go with the summer gear (& just arm warmers) for when it heats up a bit by lunch time? ???

So damn cold in the mornings still :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going out riding the next couple of days with friends...but the big question is:

Do I wear the winter gear as we are starting out early, or go with the summer gear (& just arm warmers) for when it heats up a bit by lunch time? ???

Booties.
3/4 length bibs.
Short sleeve base layer.
Long sleeve 'spring/autumn' top.
Skull cap.
Long fingered 'summer' gloves.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

I'm doing it a bit of commuting. I head off at 6.40ish and it is well chilly. This week I went without skull cap and buff tube and just about got away with it. T and arm warmers with a rain proof gilet to stop the breeze getting through over the long. Coming home the warmers and gilet go in the pockets. Full longs and half foot covers for the lower half.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Cheers chaps - it wasn't actually too bad by the time we got out, & it quickly warmed up, so was able to go with shorts - and just a L/S base-layer & buff.
Decided against the winter booties - but went with a thin pair of summer socks, a couple of crisp packets (empty! :lolol:), and a slightly thicker sock over the top. Toasty toes!

Super weekend for riding - apart from the howling wind!

Bloody freezing again this morning on the commute though.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Cheers chaps - it wasn't actually too bad by the time we got out, & it quickly warmed up, so was able to go with shorts - and just a L/S base-layer & buff.
Decided against the winter booties - but went with a thin pair of summer socks, a couple of crisp packets (empty! :lolol:), and a slightly thicker sock over the top. Toasty toes!

Super weekend for riding - apart from the howling wind!

Bloody freezing again this morning on the commute though.

On the ride to work on Friday I did short sleeve base layer which was fine at 1300 along the coast road. The return journey at 2200 along the coast road was not enjoyable in the slightest.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Started using the home built gravel bike more this week as the roads were stupidly busy on the bank holiday weekend...and loving the peace and quiet on the trails again.

I think I may have found the most beautiful lane in Sussex though on my last road ride at the weekend - Spronketts Lane (then going into Cross Colwood Lane) up near Bolney...absolutely gorgeous to ride along, but has to be the most unromantic name ever!

Anyway, whos looking forward to the Giro?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Me! I'm looking forward to giro time. Curiously I loved watching the US Masters, then the snooker, ignored most of the football, but the giro is gonna be a daily dose of happiness for 3 weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Started using the home built gravel bike more this week as the roads were stupidly busy on the bank holiday weekend...and loving the peace and quiet on the trails again.

I think I may have found the most beautiful lane in Sussex though on my last road ride at the weekend - Spronketts Lane (then going into Cross Colwood Lane) up near Bolney...absolutely gorgeous to ride along, but has to be the most unromantic name ever!

Gonna give that some thought but I know you're wrong. :lolol

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The cobbles in Lewes did for my rear rim which ‘pulls’ to one side for the length of 7 or 8 spokes. As a complete novice at straightening, I’ve watched YouTube videos where the issue is across 3 spokes so you adjust the central spoke and the two either side, but where do I start with 7 or 8? Any advice appreciated or it’ll be the bike shop tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here