On the Beach
3 days until the Grand Depart.

Magnifique!!

ap-cycling-tour-de-france.jpg
REU-CYCLING-TOUR2.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Trundling down to watch the Tour of Sussex on the bike last night, I had an old lady shout out of her car window telling me to use the cycle lane along Seaford seafront instead of being on the (very wide, empty) road. Cycle lane was full of pedestrians and dog walkers so, when she parked a bit further on & started shouting at me again from the pavement as I went past, I stopped and asked what her problem was. Told her I was legally allowed to be there, that I actually do use cycle paths whenever I can, but if I wanted, or had to, ride on the road I would. Cue ranting from her about how all bloody cyclists complain about cars / no bike paths etc, but we are the first to moan if anything happens.
She was obviously very anti bikes the way she was going on about it, & had started the argument totally unprovoked - it was as if I had been in the middle swerving everywhere the way she was reacting. I was riding right on the double yellow lines, so was really close to the kerb, & she had tonnes of room to just pass me without needing to say anything tbh. Told her again it was my choice,it was safer on the road at that point because of the pedestrians (& then admittedly told her to "eff off" when she just would not stop moaning at me)....Then she finished up by saying she hoped I would get knocked off and DIE!!!

Simply said to her she was going to reach that time far quicker than me....which shut her up.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Normally have a few days off this time of year to celebrate the TdF but don't have much leave left this year, really only enough for one day.

So what do people think is the one week day to take off to watch live?

Stage 6, next Thursday looks good?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Normally have a few days off this time of year to celebrate the TdF but don't have much leave left this year, really only enough for one day.

Yeah, that'll be excellent.

I will be at stage 15, on the first categorised climb up Montsegur, with a few mates. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ha, lucky I crossed referenced first.

I'd have looked a bit of a wally if I'd just launched in with:-

'No you idiot you need to watch La Planche des Belles Filles stage'. :lolol: :facepalm:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ha, lucky I crossed referenced first.

I'd have looked a bit of a wally if I'd just launched in with:-

'No you idiot you need to watch La Planche des Belles Filles stage'. :lolol: :facepalm:

It does look like the best of the stages that occurs on a weekday, if not overall. Only thing is that it is relatively early on, so unlikely to be 'epic' in terms of the GC (got a bad feeling the whole thing will be a snoozefest this year though...).

I'll go for that then!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It does look like the best of the stages that occurs on a weekday, if not overall. Only thing is that it is relatively early on, so unlikely to be 'epic' in terms of the GC (got a bad feeling the whole thing will be a snoozefest this year though...).

I'll go for that then!

Nah, traditionally PdeBF is the stage to separate to the wheat from the chaff.
It's definitely the 'put down a marker' stage irrespective where it comes in the running order.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My weekend plans were turned upside down just before I left the house this morning.

I decided to put my flat ride over to tomorrow so took the chance to revisit a couple of the steepest climbs on my manor this morning 1 is the nasty one I framed my target/training around all those years ago and 2 is a remote sharp shock that I gave up on after doing a Zaha failing to clip back in on the vertical bit.

I felt a bit ill near the top of 1 so knew I was crossing the BPM line. Determined to make it though and did. I found 2 after a bit of memory work. A fukken state: very narrow and gravelly. 1/3 of the way up I had a car up my chuff, so stopped to let it go and went back down. Was a bit worried I had compromised my chances. Very reminiscent of Yorks. Determined to make it despite a couple of rear wheel slides and front wheel lifts and did.

Came home to find some pleasing PBs and that I'm basically in the top 30% (just) for these which shocks me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
€1.42 - ESSO in Brussels.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Question; if team members are on the same time, how is the yellow jersey calculated?

Eg, if ineos win the TTT by enough to put them in yellow, does Moscon take the Jersey as highest place finisher on stage 1, or does Thomas, as first across line in stage 2?

The cycling press and ITV4 commentary can't seem to agree on this.

With most riders on the same time after yesterday, I imagine this scenario will happen whichever team wins the TTT.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First across the line yesterday - but don't quote me on it.

Me and Stat Club Jnrs are on our way back from Brockenhurst.
Having ridden for a couple of hours on the gravel of the New Forest

They were ok on their mountain bikes, I was on my Cube Attain with 25mm Schwable Durano tyres.

I dropped the psi down to 75 and had absolutely no confidence for even a minute of the ride, but it seems to have made it in one piece

Result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here