Page 2224 of 2228 FirstFirst ... 122417242124217422142221222222232224222522262227 ... LastLast
Results 22,231 to 22,240 of 22276

Thread: Cycling geeks

It's all about the bikes Woodchip's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    @Stat Brother I've got a pair of horrid overshoes like these. They seem to work for visibility as it's a moving reflective/glowing colour instead of just a static yellow/reflective object. Also, warmer tootsies in the winter is a great bonus
    https://www.wiggle.co.nz/bbb-heavydu...viz-overshoes/

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Anyone done John O’G to Lands End before? (or ‘Jogle’ as its apparently known). Have been roped into doing it next year (2 weeks x 60 miles per day apparently). My main bike is a Giant Rapid (essentially a road bike with straight bars) and I’m fairly sure that’s not going to cut it. Any bike advice/general advice appreciated. One of us is doing it on an old, steel framed Dawes road bike/touring racer on which he’s insisting on fitting a Brooks saddle to ‘save his arse’ although I’m not sure it will. Thanks in advance.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Palacefinder General View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Anyone done John O’G to Lands End before? (or ‘Jogle’ as its apparently known). Have been roped into doing it next year (2 weeks x 60 miles per day apparently). My main bike is a Giant Rapid (essentially a road bike with straight bars) and I’m fairly sure that’s not going to cut it. Any bike advice/general advice appreciated. One of us is doing it on an old, steel framed Dawes road bike/touring racer on which he’s insisting on fitting a Brooks saddle to ‘save his arse’ although I’m not sure it will. Thanks in advance.
      LeJoG.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      LeJoG.
      Easier coming downhill from Scotland as you can roll/freewheel most of the way

0 Not allowed!
      Easier coming downhill from Scotland as you can roll/freewheel most of the way
      Sounds like a plan.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

1 Not allowed!
      I did LEJOG in 2012. We did it in ten days, a total of 976 miles.

When I did it, it was a charity event for Marie Curie Cancer Care - we had full support (so didn't need to carry anything on our bikes) with accommodation organised each night. Is this similar to your trip, or are you going fully laden?

It was one of the best things I have ever done - I had never ventured up north (except for football) before, and it was great to see what a beautiful country Britain is.

Everyone on our trip did it on a road bike, most on carbon frames. Mine was a Specialized Roubaix, which is designed with comfort on long days in the saddle in mind - and as many on here will know, I am quite evangelical about the Roubaix. Your Giant will probably be fine for 60 mile days, but you could make yourself so much more comfortable (and make it easier, relatively) if you have the budget for a good road bike. Britain is NOT flat anywhere on the route, so make sure that you have adequate gearing to cope with the hills.

A normal road bike saddle is the most comfortable, much more so than a Brooks to my mind. Much more important is your shorts - bibs with a very comfortable pad are a must.

It is a fantastic experience, and I envy you. Make sure you take it all in. There is no hurry - it was great to know that all we had to do was get to the next stopping point. None of the normal pressures of 'things I have to do' that I feel when cycling from home. Take loads of photos. Do lots of stretching. Drink huge amounts of water.

And enjoy the evenings - we had a few pints each night (having promised myself I wouldn't before I left). Good for carbohydrate intake!

I made some great friends back then that I still see, still keep in contact with. It was a truly 'together' experience.

Feel free to PM etc. if you need more in depth advice!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodchip View Post
      @Stat Brother I've got a pair of horrid overshoes like these. They seem to work for visibility as it's a moving reflective/glowing colour instead of just a static yellow/reflective object. Also, warmer tootsies in the winter is a great bonus
      https://www.wiggle.co.nz/bbb-heavydu...viz-overshoes/
      I see your BBBs, and raise you the SealSkinz waterproof & windproof over-socks. Wore mine last winter and they kept my feet totally dry and warm in some pretty horrible conditions.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog...Jwb3MiOjEyfQ==

Looks like they only have orange at the moment, but I bought bright pink ones that really stand out!
      "We are not footballers....we are cyclists."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignon's Ponytail View Post
      I see your BBBs, and raise you the SealSkinz waterproof & windproof over-socks. Wore mine last winter and they kept my feet totally dry and warm in some pretty horrible conditions.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog...Jwb3MiOjEyfQ==

Looks like they only have orange at the moment, but I bought bright pink ones that really stand out!
      Can’t get the link to work? Asking for account details.
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
      Can’t get the link to work? Asking for account details.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sealskinz-oversock.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	115409
      "We are not footballers....we are cyclists."

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      I did LEJOG in 2012. We did it in ten days, a total of 976 miles.

When I did it, it was a charity event for Marie Curie Cancer Care - we had full support (so didn't need to carry anything on our bikes) with accommodation organised each night. Is this similar to your trip, or are you going fully laden?

It was one of the best things I have ever done - I had never ventured up north (except for football) before, and it was great to see what a beautiful country Britain is.

Everyone on our trip did it on a road bike, most on carbon frames. Mine was a Specialized Roubaix, which is designed with comfort on long days in the saddle in mind - and as many on here will know, I am quite evangelical about the Roubaix. Your Giant will probably be fine for 60 mile days, but you could make yourself so much more comfortable (and make it easier, relatively) if you have the budget for a good road bike. Britain is NOT flat anywhere on the route, so make sure that you have adequate gearing to cope with the hills.

A normal road bike saddle is the most comfortable, much more so than a Brooks to my mind. Much more important is your shorts - bibs with a very comfortable pad are a must.

It is a fantastic experience, and I envy you. Make sure you take it all in. There is no hurry - it was great to know that all we had to do was get to the next stopping point. None of the normal pressures of 'things I have to do' that I feel when cycling from home. Take loads of photos. Do lots of stretching. Drink huge amounts of water.

And enjoy the evenings - we had a few pints each night (having promised myself I wouldn't before I left). Good for carbohydrate intake!

I made some great friends back then that I still see, still keep in contact with. It was a truly 'together' experience.

Feel free to PM etc. if you need more in depth advice!
      Many thanks for posting that and some serious food for thought there, we’re still in the early stages of planning and your post is very helpful, not to mention a serious reality check! (having done a 600 mile round trip yesterday driving my daughter to Manchester Uni it puts cycling it and much further into cold perspective!) . As for the Roubaix, I might have to speak to my bank manager, the Giant definitely won’t cut it. Thanks again and will keep you posted/PM.