Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This week I recalled two more hills that needed purging. One was sorted yesterday. The other (Sundridge) was scheduled for today.

Spare a thought for Sir Julian. He was informed that today would be hilly yet he still did a long run yesterday as training for a marathon or something. Today, straight up a hill and he was nowhere which I put down to not being warmed up. I then did a PB up Ide with him lagging. I then introduced him to Brasted where I did another PB but with a nice wait/rest at the top. I then dispensed with Sundridge and had another wait/rest. He had a proper work out today.

[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], your speed thing. I have noticed with my analysis that nearly a year into roller training, I can do some consistent rates whether up hill or on flat but I'm not sure it makes a difference to an average mph.

I reckon every other ride set a few 'peg it' sections. The more you do the better. Eventually, it will fall into place. It is the ascending pace that will 'up' an average mph.

Anyway, this really needs a review by our speed king [MENTION=16679]Hangullton[/MENTION].

Good to hear you're smashing those hills :thumbsup:

I beg to differ on how to up average speed. The exact opposite is true. It's descending like a loon that will bring the quickest results for upping avg speed. Even just pedalling down hills rather than freewheeling will bring results.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ventured a little further West than normal on Saturday when I turned left at Steyning instead of right, and found myself on the Bostal.

Wont be doing that again for a while....

About 2/3rds of the way up, on the left hand side, there's a metal gate, that's my marker as to how good a day it is, normally very very bad.
If I'm comfortable when passing that, all is good.
If I'm already riding further across, than up, the road I need to be ready to dig deep.

Steyning Bostal was the last climb of my 'epic' '5 Top 100 Climbs In One Ride' day and it damn near killed me.
(although as climb #3 was The Wall, so it should have only been 4)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
About 2/3rds of the way up, on the left hand side, there's a metal gate, that's my marker as to how good a day it is, normally very very bad.
If I'm comfortable when passing that, all is good.
If I'm already riding further across, than up, the road I need to be ready to dig deep.

Steyning Bostal was the last climb of my 'epic' '5 Top 100 Climbs In One Ride' day and it damn near killed me.
(although as climb #3 was The Wall, so it should have only been 4)

I honestly thought I would have to get off and walk that last bit - brutal. The first parts were fine, but the legs decided to go on strike as soon as they felt the top section go upwards. Still fairly happy with less than 10 mins from start to finish though.

When the legs were feeling really rubbish anyway, it probably wasn't the best day to take on the Bostal, the climb from Preston Park all the way to the top of Ditchling Road, and Elm Grove.

Stupid Boy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
freewheeling

Are you calling me a poof? I pretty much hit 98% pedaling every ride.

As I went out twice this weekend, I decided to ride at a milder pace and enjoy it. The purpose was getting the hills done. That I PBed them was most unexpected.

I think I've worked out what makes a hill worth talking about in terms of challenge. Its whether you hit the vinegar stokes and if so for how long. If you pace yourself up Kidds, you won't. If you go for it, at some point you will. I will never be comfortable going up Brasted or Warren (near Rochester) because of the level of self doubt when in vinegar.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I got out on the bike on Sunday for the first time in 6 weeks. Only done 3km around a local loop, got home and decided my hand may not be quite ready yet.

Going to cycle to work Friday and see how it goes. Something I'll probably regret on Saturday.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Whoops, nearly missed Monday's vuelta stage as I thought the riders deserved a rest. Oh no, 3 hills to race up is much a nicer way to spend the day.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Listen to your doctor [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION].

I am. I got discharged from physio on Monday, and she said to go about life as usual, and if I fall off make sure I don't land on that hand.

Went out again tonight. Done about my regular commute distance. My hand is sore now, but nothing significant. May well say *** it and ride in tomorrow it depending on how I feel in an hour.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hello all.

So in the last couple of summers I've done Brighton-Paris and a triangular route round Brussels/Ghent/Antwerp.

Any recommendations for next summer? I'm looking for:

- No mountains or anything too extreme hill-wise
- Pretty/Interesting sights
- Not a pain in the arse to get to/from

Belgium was perfect, due to the beer and the ubiquitous Flemish penchant for Croques Bologneses. So anything like that would be tickety-boo x

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hello all.

So in the last couple of summers I've done Brighton-Paris and a triangular route round Brussels/Ghent/Antwerp.

Belgium was perfect, due to the beer and the ubiquitous Flemish penchant for Croques Bologneses. So anything like that would be tickety-boo x

Normandy?

Easy to get to, flat riding, lovely during the Summer...and full of history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello all.

I could just live my life vicariously through you.

I have a hankering to do a Brittany Ferries loop.

You can probably do Portsmouth - La Harve - St Malo - Portsmouth.(or t'other way for the tailwind)

Plenty of WWII history to take in along the way, not to mention the food and beer.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I fell in love with 5800 groupsets a few years ago. Spot on performance and not too costly. Well, my Oreo is now 21 months old and has 5,500 miles on the clock. It's had a reasonable cleaning regime with a scrub and some squirt lube. I've been impressed with its longevity, but now it needs new bits as it is all original.

I've ordered a r7000 chain and cassette bundle from vanilla bikes for £40. I've also gone for the r7000 chainset and hope it works with my existing shifters and front der. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if I should change my chain a bit more often, but I'm happy enough with my regime. Thoughts anyone?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fell in love with 5800 groupsets a few years ago. Spot on performance and not too costly. Well, my Oreo is now 21 months old and has 5,500 miles on the clock. It's had a reasonable cleaning regime with a scrub and some squirt lube. I've been impressed with its longevity, but now it needs new bits as it is all original.

I've ordered a r7000 chain and cassette bundle from vanilla bikes for £40. I've also gone for the r7000 chainset and hope it works with my existing shifters and front der. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if I should change my chain a bit more often, but I'm happy enough with my regime. Thoughts anyone?

Assuming you don't intend to change your chain at stupidly short intervals you shouldn't really ever change your chain without also changing the cassette.
With 5k miles on the clock you're definitely doing the right thing.

Further advise required - Reflective Clothing.

Despite leaving for work at 04:45 I'm still in shorts and t-shirt (I just can't subject my colleagues to Lycra Stat)
Despite riding in a well illuminated bubble I know I can do more and don't have the layers for night riding.

Any recommendations for good reflective clothing, on a budget, will be appreciated.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Gotta hand it to Sir Julian. Second Sunday on the bounce he has agreed to ride having done an 18 mile run the day before. Neither time did he tell me. Today was flat but he still lagged.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], fair play for that clothing. I've been using arm warmers or a long shirt and knee warmers at 6.30. I have a reflective stripe thing for the proper rare night stuff. If you can stomach it, Halfords do reflective.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A momentous morning today.

I've just moved down another notch on my belt. :clap:

Sure I now can't feel my legs and breathing is difficult but the point still stands!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here