Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
After the critically acclaimed debut of Restaurant 2011, comes Restaurant 2012. A fresh slate for all concerned. A chance for the poorer places to redeem themselves, a chance for the best places to keep their well earned high marks, or maybe even let themselves down after rave reviews. With a New Year comes a new thread to keep our food reviews together.

So, what can we look forward to over the coming year? Would you put it in front of Michel?

Brighton, Hove, Sussex, London Village or wherever you maybe

Marks out of 10

masterchef1.jpg

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My first trip of the year was yesterday to the Grand Hotel, Brighton for Sunday roast.

Brilliant yorkshire pudding and beef, but for some reason they put a salad leaf side on my roast. No one needs to see that, so marks lost. Bit mean on the potatoes and parsnips, but dessert was pretty good. Service impeccable, and a bargain at £20 for 3 courses. Also get some nice freshly baked bread to start 7.5/10

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Street Thai, in the South Laines/The Lane/The Laine/The Laines/The Lanes/The South Lanes/South Lane (pedants delete as appropriate)

Went there for my burfday the other day. Fantastic starters. Properly nice main, slightly spicy for me but properly good flavours and presentation.

8.5/10

Oct 25, 2003
Chilli Pickle, Brighton

Went there for lunch, and was amazed by how busy it was, struggled to get a table for two. Service was brilliant, with friendly, well informed staff and they have some excellent Beer options. The food is superb, some of the best Indian food i've had......i wouldn't bother with a starter as their Thali's are easily enough. Oh, and their Ginger Chutney is out of this world, bought me a jar to take home, lovely stuff

8/10

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Chilli Pickle, Brighton

Went there for lunch, and was amazed by how busy it was, struggled to get a table for two. Service was brilliant, with friendly, well informed staff and they have some excellent Beer options. The food is superb, some of the best Indian food i've had......i wouldn't bother with a starter as their Thali's are easily enough. Oh, and their Ginger Chutney is out of this world, bought me a jar to take home, lovely stuff

8/10

This. I had an oxtail madras in there last year that was out of this world, the best curry I have ever eaten.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Casa Don Carlos

Never been in there before, despite it's longevity. Fantastic food and very reasonably priced, but the best thing was the service. The waiter told me he was rapidly falling in love with the Albion and was looking forward to the Bristol City game.

9/10

PS Brett, I didnt read this thread at all last year as I thought it was about some TV show that if missed, sort it out!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Casa Don Carlos

Never been in there before, despite it's longevity. Fantastic food and very reasonably priced, but the best thing was the service. The waiter told me he was rapidly falling in love with the Albion and was looking forward to the Bristol City game.

9/10

This.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Curry Place - Shoreham

diabolical service, stingy portions, very poor toilets and overpriced so don't go there

2/10

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Kushboo, Albert Road, Horley, best indian restuaraunt ever! even better than the one that used to be in Newick(does anyone know what thats like nowdays not been for years)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Curry Place - Shoreham

diabolical service, stingy portions, very poor toilets and overpriced so don't go there

2/10

So, it's gone uphill since it was closed for health reasons then. Given you have the cottage round the corner, although that's not as good as it used to be, surely has to be a better bet than The Curry Place, no ?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Casa Don Carlos

9/10

PS Brett, I didnt read this thread at all last year as I thought it was about some TV show that if missed, sort it out!

Apologies, you missed out on a wealth of knowledge there. I need to try Casa again. It was way below my expectations after reading the 2011 version of this thread. I will give it a chance to redeem itself and try and take the crown off my number 1 Tapas place in Brighton, Solera D Tapa/Cala & Arrobas in Sydney Street

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Casa Don Carlos

9/10

Shit I lied! I meant all of the above for AguaDulce!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Casa Don Carlos

9/10

This too, get the rum flambe'd* chorizo sausage, then watch everyone around you ask what it was and order it too. It literally spread like wildfire last time I was there.

* flambeed? whatever the spelling is, don't want to upset anyone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here