Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus Letters re Parking in Coldean

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As a resident of Coldean I would like to complain about the parking situation in this and other residential areas close to the American Express Community Stadium.

In fact, whenever there is a football match or other bigger events at the Amex, every single road in Coldean is filled with vehicles – parked on pedestrian walkways, blocking drives, blocking views in junctions, blocking ways for emergency vehicles like ambulances or fire brigade.

The situation is unbearable – residents in Coldean cannot park their own cars and yet you can see empty park and ride buses.

The comment from the police seems to be: “We can’t do anything about it.” The residents of Coldean feel left alone with this problem.

The council should apply the same action as it does for the London to Brighton bicycle ride and block all roads leading into Coldean with barriers, so that only residents can enter the area. And it should keep this strict enforcement in place until the council and the management team at the Amex provide proper parking facilities close to it.

It was the council’s mistake to grant permission for the construction of the stadium by accepting the park and ride system leading from the race- course to the stadium as sufficient. It is clearly not.

Sufficient action needs to be taken immediately.

Michael Inkpin-Leissner, Ridge View, Brighton

Since August I have been in contact with the Albion about the need to deal with match-day parking problems in Coldean, which I represent on the council.

Therefore, I welcome the news that the club’s new agreement with the council could include such a scheme (The Argus, December 16). It is much needed by residents and bus-users in Coldean.

Thanks to The Argus for highlighting this issue since the start of the season (“Fans urged to park responsibly” (The Argus, August 15).

Councillor Jeane Lepper, Labour and Co-operative Party, Hollingdean and Stanmer ward

Comments(1)

Busterblister says...
1:33pm Thu 29 Dec 11

Why is anyone surprised? In the politically motivated planning permission letter the SoS stated that TOO MANY parking spaces were being allowed even then. Why the need for more now? Planning permission was granted on the basis that the stadium was accessed via sustainable transport.

Where are the Greens and their "principles" in all this?

PS - Coldean residents - good luck, you have no chance, unless laws are passed and heavily enforced, the council and the paper are too scared of upsetting the club's customers to do anything about the parking.”

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Improve P&R for motorists coming from west and north and the problem will soon disappear.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The quote 'every single road in Coldean is filled with vehicles – parked on pedestrian walkways, blocking drives, blocking views in junctions, blocking ways for emergency vehicles like ambulances or fire brigade' has applied whenever I have been there - admittedly not often. Though each time that has been when there hasn't been a game on at the Amex.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'In fact, whenever there is a football match or other bigger events at the Amex, every single road in Coldean is filled with vehicles – parked on pedestrian walkways, blocking drives, blocking views in junctions, blocking ways for emergency vehicles like ambulances or fire brigade.'

Bullshit pure and simple. Not worth the oxygen.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not about the spaces on the buses though is it? It's about frequency, capacity at the P&Rs, the ability to pre-book a P&R space so you don't risk driving 200 miles and because of a hold up on the motorways etc you find you can't park in the P&R etc etc

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
'In fact, whenever there is a football match or other bigger events at the Amex, every single road in Coldean is filled with vehicles – parked on pedestrian walkways, blocking drives, blocking views in junctions, blocking ways for emergency vehicles like ambulances or fire brigade.'

Bullshit pure and simple. Not worth the oxygen.

It's what the politicians will believe though. Since when do they get out and see the situation for themselves? Perception is everything to these goons.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Improve P&R for motorists coming from west and north and the problem will soon disappear.

Are they still using Mill Road? If so what's wrong with that for the people from the west (and north I guess if you are coming down the 23)?

Nothing for people from the East unless you use the unofficial one at Kingston, hence why lots of people are parking in Lewes.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I wonder sometimes if a solution might be to make the car park free but only available to cars with at least four people inside whether they're staff, 1901, home or away fans. That would help ease the general congestion and incentivise greener use of cars.

horshamseagull11

seagullshorsham
Dec 11, 2010
Eastbourne
I dont park in Coldean anymore. I must admit i used to but it is not the best way and its not fair on the residents and may effect our expansion application. get the bus its quicker warmer less hassle.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i park near half way up coldean lane and never have i parked illiegally, in fact I make a point of not up setting any resident. This will continue until yellow lines are put in place. it happens in 92 clubs and more in the country every single saturday.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I gather most residents are none too bothered but a loud few will complain about anything. If a vehicle is causing a blockage then call the authorities, take pics etc.

Personally, I'd lilke to see it go back to a transport levy on tickets, like at Withers, so people will use the P&R without the worry of vouchers/booking etc. I'm sure they could also look into P&R from Crowhurst Road & Moulsecoomb Way as additional sites.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I can never park in my road because other people use it, unfortunately no-one has a god-given right to the space outside their house. At least this only happens to them 2t times a year. No sympathy at all.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I do agree that at least for away fans, you should get a travel voucher with your ticket like it or not that enables you to get P&R etc without worrying. I also am a little miffed that I bought a book of travel vouchers and have never been challenged for one.

I used to live in Coldean and that letter describes Coldean on most days of the week.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely the P&R from the Racecourse was granted after the permission to build the stadium? I don't think the letter writer has got that right. Has anyone seen empty P&R buses? It thought Mill Road was chockablock, and he wouldn't be able to see the Mithras House buses from Coldean.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally, I'd lilke to see it go back to a transport levy on tickets, like at Withers, so people will use the P&R without the worry of vouchers/booking etc. I'm sure they could also look into P&R from Crowhurst Road & Moulsecoomb Way as additional sites.

There's no way that a measure that penalises people for walking or cycling to the ground will get passed by a Green-led council. I think the club should be doing the exact opposite and start offering people incentives to cycle to the ground - in fact, they've started doing this.

I used to live in Coldean and that letter describes Coldean on most days of the week.

I still live there and it's still like that. Most Coldean residents don't want any parking restrictions for that very reason - the people who complain are a very small minority.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The serial moaners wont be too happy forking out for a residents parking permit (no guarantee of a space though) if the council decide to introduce parking zones. They should keep their mouths shut and not ruin it for the other 99.5%

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The empty Park & Ride buses are presumably before the match when fans are all arriving at different times and being shuttled regularly to keep them moving. Unfortunately several fans on this site have freely admitted to parking at Coldean and encouraged visiting fans to do the same. We all know it is unhelpful to the club but we seem to have a minority who always do what they are politely requested not to do.

For 'do not park at Coldean' you could substitute 'do not stand', 'do not swear excessively', 'do not run on pitch' and probably a few others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here