Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Road - Open Market

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Has the work begun yet on this redevelopment?

openmarket-artist's-impress.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jason the egg man is moving to Francis St next week in preparation for the move. It will be good to see the market back to its former glory, I remember when it used to be packed and you had to queue to get served.

We used to do loads of our shopping there and then stop to watch the blacksmith at work - kids were easily entertained in those days.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Does it still stink of piss? I can't remember ever visiting somewhere involved in the selling of food to people that stank of piss so badly.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Got taken there a lot as a kid in the early mid 80's,not been there in years until last year,amazed how small it seems now,but it reminds me of my childhood.....does it need replacing?

Among others it also serves a part of the community quite well,not being rude the less well off......why replace it with something clique'y or flats?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Jason the egg man is moving to Francis St next week in preparation for the move.

This looks to be phase 1 (movement of existing market to temporary location in Francis Street).

So is it inside existing buildings in Francis Street or have they knocked down buildings to make way?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Jason the egg man is moving to Francis St next week in preparation for the move. It will be good to see the market back to its former glory, I remember when it used to be packed and you had to queue to get served.

We used to do loads of our shopping there and then stop to watch the blacksmith at work - kids were easily entertained in those days.
My Grandparents had a greengrocery stall there when I was a kid. Whole place was buzzin and busy then. Still a few of the same families carrying it on - the Ovetts are still there I believe? Hope the development goes well - might cheer up the area and we could do with an alternative to the bloody supermarkets :clap2: :rock: :albion2:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
My dad had a butchers shop in Baker Street behind the open market opposite the Co-op - we were there for 30 years before the Council decided to pedestrianise the street and move the bus stop - they killed the street and we luckily just managed to sell the shop - its a bookies now I think.

Those were the days when there were decent shops in London Road - M & S, Woollies etc.

London Road and Baker Street used to be busy and vibrant - last time I drove along there it was awful

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
My dad had a butchers shop in Baker Street behind the open market opposite the Co-op - we were there for 30 years before the Council decided to pedestrianise the street and move the bus stop - they killed the street and we luckily just managed to sell the shop - its a bookies now I think.

Those were the days when there were decent shops in London Road - M & S, Woollies etc.

London Road and Baker Street used to be busy and vibrant - last time I drove along there it was awful

The wife and I have been wracking our brains to remember the name of that butchers. We remember the shop well.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

yep, sure is :annoyed: hope the market cheers it up a bit :rock: :albion2:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I used to work in a travel agency two doors up from dad's - right next door to dad was a jewellers I think - remember the pram shop Champions at the top of the street?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I used to work in a travel agency two doors up from dad's - right next door to dad was a jewellers I think - remember the pram shop Champions at the top of the street?

We bought the premises that was Skyline Travel and converted it to the beauty salon - small world.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Open Market is just an empty shell now. Same as about 90% of the rest of London Road. Shame on the council for not pedestrianising the whole area about 20 years ago.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
The Open Market is just an empty shell now. Same as about 90% of the rest of London Road. Shame on the council for not pedestrianising the whole area about 20 years ago.

and shame on them for allowing that old co-op building to become an empty old wreck, im sure there are laws in place the council can use to force property owners not to let buildings become derelict.

there is probably no money to do it or 100 other excuses why it cant happen but it seems like such an obvious move to regenerate the area by getting rid of the current owner who is obviously not able to do anything with the property and creating a load of apartments in there and give the shops down there some people to cater for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here