Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish managers

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Watching match of the day tonight, it struck me how many Scottish accents there were in the post match interviews. I looked at the prem league table and worked out that out of the 20 teams, there are 8 scots. Considering the relative lack of success for the Scottish national team over the generations, what makes them such good managers.
And worryingly for England, we have 3 managers in the prem, Redknapp, who's a crook and up for tax evasion, Pardew's a joke and hodgeson who I once tipped to manage England but has hardly been a success in recent years.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is amazing, isn't it? Over the course of the last 25 seasons, the English league has been won by a team managed by an Englishman just two times, and by a Scotsman 17 times.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Blackburn fans would disagree on the idea of Steve Kean being a good manager, but I take your point :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They're not just all Scottish. They're pretty much all from Glasgow.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Trying to think who the 8 are now. Fergie, Moyes, Lambert, Kean. Owen Coyle was born in Scotland but played for Ireland so don't know what he classes himself as...are you counting him? McLeish. Dalglish. Who am I missing??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Trying to think who the 8 are now. Fergie, Moyes, Lambert, Kean. Owen Coyle was born in Scotland but played for Ireland so don't know what he classes himself as...are you counting him? McLeish. Dalglish. Who am I missing??

I think that's it. I reckon he's counting Brendan Rogers.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The other thing is: with the exception of Fergie whose already in situ, and Dalglish who got the Liverpool job because of his previous connections; how many of these Scottish managers would ever get a job with one of the top four or five clubs these days? They may be good, but you can't see a club like Chelsea or City going for a Scottish (or even English) name any time soon. They all want fashionable young continental coaches. I don't see United going for Paul Lambert or even Moyes when Fergie finally retires. Chelsea or Arsenal? No chance.

Yes, a Scottish manager has won a load of titles in recent years, but essentially that equates to Fergie, plus one from Dalglish at loaded Blackburn.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Was having a discussion about this the other day. I always thought Brendan Rodgers was Scottish as well, but he's actually Northern Irish - just has a very confusing accent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here