Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgic memories of floodlights

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not even that common in Scotland any more, of the Scottish Premier grounds only Tannadice has pylons like we had at the Goldstone, though several other grounds do still have angled heads.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
3174958209_36cb729906_z.jpg

Hove station in 1962 - dead steam locomotives in the foreground

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The lighting at the Amex has a high nostalgia factor. Like the Goldstone's, the lights don't quite cut it. The far side of the pitch is dimly lit from the WSU, so I don't know how bad one end must be from the other ...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's probably a load of bullshit, but I was once told the floodlights at the Goldstone were if not the tallest, then the second tallest in the country...When I was a nipper I always remember approaching the ground along the Old Shoreham Road, from Brighton end and the excitement of approaching the traffic lights and not being able to see a thing. Then suddenly there it was, what an amazing feeling. Also the programme seller standing on the corner. And that smell in the air, the smell that you could only ever get at football....Seeing the old tv tower on the chicken run, when the Big Match/Match of the Day cameras were there......never forget.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The players always appeared to move faster un der lights and cast shadows as well.
I always liked night games at the Golstone. The atmosphere sizzled and crackled when there was a big crowd in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here