Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green's blocking Amex expansion plans? Steve Bassam

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Twitter

"I said last week that Greens were moving to block the Amex capacity increase by 8,000 seats.They have now blocked car parking places at BACA"

kano

Jun 17, 2011
the greens have been an utter disaster for brighton...i hope all the idiots who voted for them haven't completely forgot about local politics now its not in the headlines and dont make the same mistake again.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If that's true, it has the potential to close the stadium altogether.

Only once Bennett's Field becomes unavailable. Despite TLO's assurances I have a feeling that the Greens are out to prevent the expansion regardless. Of course they can only be measured on their actions.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On what grounds do they want to object to the capacity increase?

They don't, unless you count an unsustainable transport policy - and no parties would agree to expansion without that.

Like Southern Water, Brighton Aldridge Community Academy doesn't want Albion car parking on its site. BACA is a non-starter.

Bassam's tweet is a bit like saying 'Greens block car parking in Falmer Village'.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They don't, unless you count an unsustainable transport policy - and no parties would agree to expansion without that.

Like Southern Water, Brighton Aldridge Community Academy doesn't want Albion car parking on its site. BACA is a non-starter.

It's a bit like saying 'Greens block car parking in Falmer Village'.

Bassam seems pretty insistent that they do want to block it.

Were the Greens in favour of the stadium or in favour of a stadium, in the first place?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Does anyone have the contact details/twitter of Caroline Lucas by any chance.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Bassam's tweet is a bit like saying 'Greens block car parking in Falmer Village'.

How is Car Parking at BACA a non-starter?

I thought that it was always the intention to use it? (Long term?)

Last edited:

kano

Jun 17, 2011
In what way?

only council in the country refusing to accept money from central government thats being handed out to freeze council tax and deciding instead to put up council tax.

after refusing the money and deciding to put up CT, then deciding to reduce bin collections ....so the only council in the country putting up tax is also cutting public services.

increasing parking prices across the city....exactly what our local businesses need at the moment, dont come shopping or visit brighton if your going to drive!

various moron schemes like trying to make brighton 'the demonstration capital of the uk' ...ahhhh so thats where our council tax is going to go, policing various disruptions to the city and its residents....im sure glad my bins arent being collected now.

i could go on but i have reached maximum anger for typing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bassam seems pretty insistent that they do want to block it.

Bassam would. I would no more trust a comment on the Greens from Bassam than I would from Geoffrey Theobald. Nor a comment on Labour or the Tories from Bill Randall, and so on.

It makes no political sense for the Greens to block stadium expansion, and the councillors I have spoken to are not against it. They have, however, raised concerns about transport. As have many on here.

Were the Greens in favour of the stadium or in favour of a stadium, in the first place?

I don't what that has to do with anything, but their statement is that they were never against a stadium. They were never necessarily against a stadium at Falmer (though many raised concerns).

Their point at the time, and this is borne out by their statements then was that they didn't like the nuclear option of 'Falmer or nowhere'. They wanted a clear process to be shown that other places had been considered. When the second (or third - I lose count) inquiry took place, they came out and said that 'they would accept the findings of the Inquiry.' And they did.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Whether they admit to it or not, it's pretty obvious that the Green party is going to be against a stadium built on the downs. TLO trying to argue that THE GREEN PARTY isn't against the stadium or it's expansion is like me trying to argue that the Womans' Institute is supporting the relaxation of rape laws.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here