Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice hotel in the Sussex sticks......

....oh come on, it is quiet on here this morning, nothing about early leavers or anything we're not allowed to sing, anyhoo my question, anywhere I can take Mrs Doc for a nice little break early part of the year? not too far (say, within 40 miles of Brighton), just nice n clean, in the country, good restaurant, nice little walk in the morning, pub lunch then back to the realities of 'The Boy'...any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
....oh come on, it is quiet on here this morning, nothing about early leavers or anything we're not allowed to sing, anyhoo my question, anywhere I can take Mrs Doc for a nice little break early part of the year? not too far (say, within 40 miles of Brighton), just nice n clean, in the country, good restaurant, nice little walk in the morning, pub lunch then back to the realities of 'The Boy'...any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Try Ockenden Manor at Cuckfield. Lovely little village with a nice pub. The hotel has a Michelin Star restaurant and fantastic grounds. The place is hundreds of years old with lovely open fires - perfect for a winter break. If you do the Sunday night special then you get Dinner, bed and Breakfast ( and it's a GREAT breakfast - try the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs ! ) for £70 per head - fantastic value.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Try Ockenden Manor at Cuckfield. Lovely little village with a nice pub. The hotel has a Michelin Star restaurant and fantastic grounds. The place is hundreds of years old with lovely open fires - perfect for a winter break. If you do the Sunday night special then you get Dinner, bed and Breakfast ( and it's a GREAT breakfast - try the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs ! ) for £70 per head - fantastic value.

This. It's a lovely place and the food is top notch.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Deans Place Hotel - Ardingly.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Bailiffscourt Hotel, Climping very very good and historic, spa on site for the Mrs, excellent restaurant. Same owner as Ockenden Park. Not cheap but look out on their website for offers. Historic Sussex Hotels - Bailiffscourt Luxury Hotel & Spa - Climping, West Sussex
The restaurant do a lunch voucher offer (not Sundays or Bank Holidays) although the current one only goes up to 30 November this is regularly updated. There is a nice looking country pub in the same lane, the Black Horse, but as I haven't eaten there myself and the comments on Beer In The Evening seem to have degenerated into a verbal spat between supporters and detractors it's difficult to advise on that one. Or if you are driving further afield during the day then the Sportsman at Cross Gate outside Amberley is well worth dining at.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Can I recommend the Ship Hotel in Brighton.
You arrive on a Friday, manager gives you the penthouse suite. Free bar, free breakfast,free food all day and free evening meal and champagne. Then on Monday morning the manager personally checks you out and gives you £150 in tenners.

Fantastic hotel.

I haven't stayed there myself but my Sister has!

TNBA

TTF

p.s. Courtesy of the great Max Miller

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011

I'll second that. Never stayed there but had a whole day long works 'event' there. Very nice place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here