Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Very different coming from a manager than the head of world football. He also says he believes Suarez so is only accusing Evra of crying like a baby, not to accept the racist comments and "forget" them at the end of the game.

No doubt it will be blown out of proportion though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oooooh dear Gus. That really was not very smart.

Would he expect any of our black players to put up with vile racial abuse on the pitch without complaining, and just get on with it ? Unfortunately, it would seem that yes, yes he would.

Looks like the mouth was ahead of the brain for that interview. Not good.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm trying to think of something to say in his defence, but have failed miserably. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Kick it out campaign. :nono:

Aside from that, I'm amazed that someone might be tempted to pay £37 for a lifesize cardboard cutout of Evra. Although, I guess Suarez has a bit of spare time on his hands.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Just completely the wrong timing. He isnt saying racism is good, he seems to be more upset at players grassing up, as so much happens and goes unreported

A silly thing to say, but not entirely wrong. Just wrong timing on a massive scale

Looking forward to hearing Alex Fergusons response tomorrow

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Dissapointed in Gus, seems he just loves the attention too much sometimes. I'm sure he just wants to stay by his friend but it's totally wrong what he has said.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Errr....why ?

Blatter is there to, supposedly, set and maintain rules within world football.

As I said, this will get blown put of proportion. Gus hasn't said he accepts racism on the pitch, he's backing Suarez's stance that nothing was said.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
i suspect he has been called for an interview and has been stitched. mind you... "I respect him as Fifa president but I don't listen to him when he talks about football" is a genius quote

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I suppose he was asked the question and was in a compromising position, being as Suarez is a personal friend of his. His natural response has been to back Suarez.

But in belittling Evra in this way, he is advocating players on the receiving end of racist abuse just taking it and covering it up. That is simply an unbackable position in this day and age.

Wish he'd just ducked the question and said something boring like "its an ongoing investigation so I can't really comment". But thats not his style is it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Blatter is there to, supposedly, set and maintain rules within world football.

As I said, this will get blown put of proportion. Gus hasn't said he accepts racism on the pitch, he's backing Suarez's stance that nothing was said.

In saying that he took 7 years of abuse in Spain without becoming a "cry baby", he IS saying that he accepts racism on the pitch.

And putting himself in Blatters sinking dinghy is not a good place for a high profile manager to be.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Gus normally talks a lot of sense but on this occasion he hasn't.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
In saying that he took 7 years of abuse in Spain without becoming a "cry baby", he IS saying that he accepts racism on the pitch.

And putting himself in Blatters sinking dinghy is not a good place for a high profile manager to be.

Perhaps. I am well against what Blatter has said recently and I agree Gus sounds as though he is siding with him but really don't think that's the case. He does try to distance himself from Blatter in the same interview. I'll wait to see the whole interview before tarring him with Blatter's brush.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What the debate hinges on is whether the word 'negrito' is racist. Rough translation: 'Little black man.' Gus Poyet and Luis Suarez are from Uruguay where the word is supposedly a term of endearment, a word used when you are identifying someone fitting that description as a friend. Hardly surprising, then, that Poyet is backing Suarez.

What is missing is any taking of responsibility by either Poyet or Suarez for how a word lands with someone who has experienced being at the receiving end of similar-sounding racial terms intended as abuse. (I wonder if Gus calls Liam Bridcutt 'negrito.')

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Having read the article, Gus is saying he believes Suarez(who said he didn't racially abuse Evra). Can't see anywhere in the article that he condones racism.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
For the sake of his reputation and our club, Gus should never have passed comment on this. It's got nothing to do with him/us. This isn't good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here