Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official FOOTBALL MANAGER 2012 Career Thread

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
It's that time again folks! After the success of the last few years threads it is time to see what we can do in 2012.

Post your progress with the Albion (or whoever) in here - any recommended signings/tips are always welcome!

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
10 games left top by 2 points from Forest. On a bad run of form at the moment.

A few major signings:
Ben Amos Loan Man Utd
Federico Macheda loan Man Utd
Glen Loovens Celtic £400k
Miguel Castro £350k (mexican Right back)
Chris Wood loan West Brom.
Amdy Faye free

Team:
GK: Ankergren/Amos
RB: Castro/Calderon
CB: Greer/Elphick
CB: Loovens/Dunk
LB: Painter
DMC:Bridcutt/Faye
MR: LuaLua/Sparrow
ML: Noone/Vicente
AMC: Harley/Buckley
SC: CMS
SC: Macheda/Barnes/Wood/Hoskins

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Started a game with Genk:
Didnt qualify for Champions league, got knocked out of group stages of Europa.
2nd in the league behind Anderlecht moving into the 'Championship league' end of season playoff syste mand the final of the belgian cup.

But I'm bored of it.
Starting a Juventus game to muck around with some big-name signings and at some point will start a game in the Blue Square South or Premier....

Have a Championship network game on hiatus as Brighton, but that's on the back burner as flatmate is enjoying his Blackburn game too much :(

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
I had a good game going where I got Brighton to finish 8th in the 1st season, Won the league in the 2nd and in the 3rd was struggling at the bottom of the Premier League so i stupidly left :( for a spanish team, then i left there for Republic of Ireland but then also got the Chelsea job, got bored of playing so started a new game. the next manager of Brighton was none other than Emile Heskey...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
What kind of settings do you guys start the game on? Have just messed around for an hour or two getting a feel for the new features/setting it up the way I like it etc now I'm ready to go properly. I love that you can add/remove nations on the fly now, but unsure how it will work in terms of applying for jobs etc?

Was thinking about top leagues of Spain/Italy/Germany and then starting with the Albion with League 2 as lowest on a small database. I'd love to know what everyone else does nowadays! :)

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
What kind of settings do you guys start the game on? Have just messed around for an hour or two getting a feel for the new features/setting it up the way I like it etc now I'm ready to go properly. I love that you can add/remove nations on the fly now, but unsure how it will work in terms of applying for jobs etc?

Was thinking about top leagues of Spain/Italy/Germany and then starting with the Albion with League 2 as lowest on a small database. I'd love to know what everyone else does nowadays! :)

I do major leagues. England, Spain, Italy and Germany. Also do Scotland as Celtic follower. Tend to do 2 divisions on each but England BSS so got Eastbourne etc. I normally manage 4 or 5 teams tho.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I do major leagues. England, Spain, Italy and Germany. Also do Scotland as Celtic follower. Tend to do 2 divisions on each but England BSS so got Eastbourne etc. I normally manage 4 or 5 teams tho.

Cheers :) What does everyone else do?

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
As I said earlier on the Demo thread, I haven't had a FM game for a while, and have really enjoyed this one. I am doing just the English league from League 2 upwards for now. After my first season I won the league with the Albion, finishing with 96 points which I was delighted with. I am the GB Olympics manager and that is just about to start. I am still in pre-season for my second season but this is my team so far:

GK - Joe Lewis
DL - Patrick Van Aanholt
DR - Kyle Naugton
DC - Gordon Greer/Luke Chambers
DC - Arne Friedrich
ML - Vicente
MR - Craig Noone/Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (loan)
MC - Liam Bridcutt/Darron Gibson/Richard Smallwood
FC - Andrew Keogh
FC - CMS

Subs:
Lorid Karius
Greer/Chambers
Bridcutt/Gibson/Smallwood
Chris Wood (loan)/Ashley Barnes
Chris Herd
Kazenga LuaLua
Will Buckley

What do you think of my team so far. It's definitely not a finished article but I am working on it. Also, can anyone else who has bought any of these players let me know how it has gone for them, as a few of them are brand new unused signings. Last season CMS nearly scored 40 goals for me, I have so much love for that man.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Im still in my first season but have just gone 3 points clear at the top after beating Palace 1 nil away.

My team is as follows:

GK - Joe Lewis

LB - Stephen Jordan
CB - Gordon Greer
CB - Lewis Dunk
RB - Inigo Calderon

DM - Liam Bridcutt
CM - Tom Soares

AML - Vicente/ Craig Noone
AMR - Will Buckley

STR - Craig Mackail-Smith
STR - Ashley Barnes

Subs vary but mostly it's:

Adam El Abd
Ryan Harley
Roland Bergkamp
Will Hoskins
Noone or Vicente (whichever one doesn't start)

Lost 3-2 on agg in the semi final of the League Cup to Chelsea which was a bit of a downer especially after it being 3-2 after the 1st leg away.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
As I said earlier on the Demo thread, I haven't had a FM game for a while, and have really enjoyed this one. I am doing just the English league from League 2 upwards for now. After my first season I won the league with the Albion, finishing with 96 points which I was delighted with. I am the GB Olympics manager and that is just about to start. I am still in pre-season for my second season but this is my team so far:

GK - Joe Lewis
DL - Patrick Van Aanholt
DR - Kyle Naugton
DC - Gordon Greer/Luke Chambers
DC - Arne Friedrich
ML - Vicente
MR - Craig Noone/Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (loan)
FC - Andrew Keogh
FC - CMS

Subs:
Lorid Karius
Greer/Chambers
Bridcutt/Gibson/Smallwood
Chris Wood (loan)/Ashley Barnes
Chris Herd
Kazenga LuaLua
Will Buckley

What do you think of my team so far. It's definitely not a finished article but I am working on it. Also, can anyone else who has bought any of these players let me know how it has gone for them, as a few of them are brand new unused signings. Last season CMS nearly scored 40 goals for me, I have so much love for that man.

Ive also got Lorid Karius but he hasn't played yet. Lua Lua has now gone to West Ham on loan in my game as he didn't want to sign for either Brighton permenantly or Reading on loan. And as for CMS, he is a good player but has only managed about 15 games so far as he keeps getting injured!!

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
Ive also got Lorid Karius but he hasn't played yet. Lua Lua has now gone to West Ham on loan in my game as he didn't want to sign for either Brighton permenantly or Reading on loan. And as for CMS, he is a good player but has only managed about 15 games so far as he keeps getting injured!!

I haven't had that problem at all. Just checked his first season stats for me and he scored 29 in 44 games, all in the league and then another 3 goals in 4 games in the cups. He finished with a 7.36 average rating. Definitely helps to have a fit CMS.

It's funny actually, how similar my team in the Championship was to your current team. Parnaby is a great free transfer right back if you need cover for Calde, personally I played Parnaby ahead of him but whatever floats your boat eh?

I think I have just ruined BHA on my game by breaking the bank big time to sign Caulker, a youngster from Tottenham. All my scouts say he will be great so hopefully it will pay off, but for now I have the problem of reducing my wage bill massively.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cheers :) What does everyone else do?

Large database with all of the UK... anything else is either too big for my comp or feels too much like cheating.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Am half way through the first season with the Albion and top of the table by three points, in the semis of the League Cup (altho lost first leg 5-2 to Sunderland) and replaying with forest in the 3rd round of the FA. Up until Jan I had only bought in four or five players but our defence was porous so with an increased transfer budget (raised to 6.5 m) really shook up the squad. However in this version you really have to play with your budgets and vast majority of my money is on salaries

Current team is:

GK Heaton (250k) / Lewis (300k)
DR Spence (700k) / Calderon / Vincelot
DC Greer /Tim Sebastian (30k)
DC Jodlowiec (180k) / Dunk
DL Franchone (1.1m) / Painter / Sbai (free)
DM Bridcutt / Navarro (who has really been competitive) and now trying to get Emre Can (700k) in otherwise Vincelot has to play here
MC Harley / Raskaj (50k) /Vincente
AMR Buckley /Noone
AML Tulasne (free) / Vincente
SC Mouche (130k - 22 goals) / Hoskins (12 goals)
SC Velikonja (200k - 15 goals) / Barnes (4 goals) / CMS (2 goals and cant get in the side and well miffed)

Most expensive player Franchone overpriced at 1.1m but we were desperate

OUT - Anks, Brez, Dicker, Elf and Smith (total = 375k)
Sparrow and El Abd on the list but noone wants them even though both have had first team exp and scored goals

We have had a terrible time with injuries until the beginning of Jan - lost Lua Lua in Sept for the whole season

Staff completely different but much better

Ass Man - Tony Coton
Coaches - Charlie Oatway (tactics), Hans Jorristma (variety), Mark Sertori (variety), Steve Black (fitness), Joe Roach (technique)
Scouts - (all must have) Paul Montgomery, Ricky Sbragia, Jack Chapman, Alan Miller

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Decided to start a brand new Albion save for the purposes of this thread, and as such am just getting ready for my firsat competitive fixture (Palarse at The Amex!), followed by Gillingham paying us a visit in the League Cup, then a trip to Fratton Park for the first away game....seems a fairly familiar start!

I told the board I believe I could get a top-half finish, and was rewarded with a £2.5 million transfer budget, which I've used as follows:

IN:

- Andrew Davies (Stoke) £1.1 million
- Chris Herd (Aston Villa) 275k
- Pablo Mouche (Boca Juniors) 130k
- Yves Ma Kalambay (Free Agent)
- Stephen Jordan (Free Agent)

OUT:

- Peter Brezovan (Cardiff) 60k
- Michael Poke (Dirty Leeds United (40k)
- Ryan Simmonds (Hereford) 1 Month Loan
- Steve Cook (Southend) 1 Month Loan

I've also linked up with Manchester United as a feeder club (from a choice of them, Villa, Spurs and Everton) which will pay me 101k per season, and they'll send me some loan players, although nothing has turned up as yet.

Results wise, pre-season has gone as follows:

Sheff Wed (A) 4-1
Brechin (A) 8-0
Burgess Hill (A) 8-0

I cancelled a couple of other scheduled friendlies in order to concentrater on getting my squad sorted. Currently we've a clean bull of health, and my starting lineup for Palarse will be:

GK: Yves Ma Kalambay
DR: Chris Herd
DCR: Andrew Davies
DCL: Gordon Greer (C)
DL: Marcos Painter
DMC: Liam Bridcutt
MC: Ryan Harley
AMR: Kazenga Lua Lua
AML: Vicente
STR: Craig Mackail-Smith
STL: Pablo Mouche

Subs: Casper Ankergren, Stephen Jordan, Romain Vincelot, Will Buckley, Will Hoskins

In terms of leagues, I'm running England as far as League Two and the top two divisions in Spain.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I can't wait to get home and play the shit out of this.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Does anyone play this on PSP ? My son does and when he manages Brighton, it is very difficult to sign players. And when he manages a Premiership club, his goals for and goals against are always the lowest by a mile............any hints???

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Does anyone know if there's a way you can download this for free online :lolol:

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Usually get this for my birthday each year but it isnt for another 4 weeks. :angry: Cant get into the demo as I know I'll want to play more leagues or at least a bigger database when I finally do get the full version.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here