Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I take my DSA taxi driving test tomorrow, any tips?

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Figured they'd be some taxi drivers amongst our ranks, I have my taxi test tomorrow and wondered if anyone had taken it? What's it like compared to your normal driving test?

Obviously I can only have 9 minors, no majors etc and I can't pull up near trees, lamposts, double yellows etc, but was wondering if you had any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance gents!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From experience, the key factors to becoming a success in the trade are:

-Never, ever indicate.

-Don't wear your seatbelt under any circumstances.

-Park wherever you like so long as you put your hazard lights on. I believe you get extra marks for parking on zebra crossings.

-Wherever possible, steer with one hand and rest the other arm on the window ledge.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Don't forget to go on at length about bloody immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs, and how much you love the royal family, Gawd bless 'em, and what about that Gadaffi bloke? He had it coming eh? And don't get me started on those overpaid football players, bloody ponces the lot of 'em...

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I drove a taxi for 14 years, I left about a year ago because it became so quiet. I didn't have to do the DSA thing back then but I hear it's no walk in the park. Do yourself a favor though and go and do something more worthwhile with your time. It's a shit job and you will end up hating everyone.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I have an Adur Hackney licence.
When I took my test, it was just a 10 minute drive around town.
Nothing like the DSA test.

Hope that helps.

you will end up hating everyone.
just as well he's registered on here then.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009

-Never, ever indicate.

-Park wherever you like so long as you put your hazard lights on. I believe you get extra marks for parking on zebra crossings.

-Wherever possible, steer with one hand and rest the other arm on the window ledge.

Taxi drivers don't have to wear their seat belts though?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Absolutely wrong Edna.
You steer with the arm that you are resting by the window.
The left hand is used for picking nose/scratching scrotum etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ah, you see that's a common misconception.

Hackney carriage drivers don't have to wear them all the time they have a fare. They are supposed to wear them the rest of the time. Private hire drivers are subject to the same laws on seatbelts as everyone else is.

Frankly, wouldn't you just wear one anyway??

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely wrong Edna.
You steer with the arm that you are resting by the window.
The left hand is used for picking nose/scratching scrotum etc.

:facepalm: Sorry, my bad!

kip

Aug 2, 2011

Most of the time they don't. You are exempt all the time you have a customer on board and when you are plying for hire. This is most of the time for a Hackney carriage (green and white ones in Brighton) but private hire divers have to wear them in between jobs. You can't claim to be plying for hire when you are outside the city boundary either so they have to wear them when coming back from Gatwick say.

kip

Aug 2, 2011

Hackney carriage drivers don't have to wear them all the time they have a fare. They are supposed to wear them the rest of the time. Private hire drivers are subject to the same laws on seatbelts as everyone else is.

Not true see my above post

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hackney carriage drivers don't have to wear them all the time they have a fare. They are supposed to wear them the rest of the time. Private hire drivers are subject to the same laws on seatbelts as everyone else is. *Craftily edited here* to reflect the fact that doesn't include when they have a fare. Obviously as they're not plying for hire then they have to slap one on the rest of the time. It's supposed to allow them to escape if someone tries to batter them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Oh dear.

The OB getting the law wrong! :facepalm:

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Oh dear.

The OB getting the law wrong! :facepalm:
Not unusual for the police to get this wrong, made me laugh one night in Brighton station a traffic cop gave out about 20 tickets for drivers not wearing seat belts. I bet he got some stick

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not unusual for the police to get this wrong, made me laugh one night in Brighton station a traffic cop gave out about 20 tickets for drivers not wearing seat belts. I bet he got some stick

I was stopped by a check point once.
The policeman asked me if I was Hack or Private Hire as I didn't have my belt on. He only had to look at the rooflight that had "TAXI" in big letters on it.
I suppose that should have given him a clue.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
It's an Adur private hire licence i'm going for... hopefully it's alright to be fair. Just constant checking of the mirrors and blind spot is obviously of paramount importance!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

-Never, ever indicate.

You are slipping Edna it is compulsory for them to be using a mobile phone usually playing with the earpiece of their bluetooth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here