Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Songs that sound the same as each other

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
When Queens of the Stone Age 'came up with' the chorus to Little Sister

[yt]kyGZv_uBxMY[/yt]

They probably didn't reckon on anyone noticing it was stolen note for note from this relatively obscure gem, written 25 years earlier...:

[yt]wdrLarbWEMY[/yt]

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yep there was a lot of controversy about that at the time Harrison's song was released. Don't know if it went to the courts for plagiarism though..

I think it did. Harrison claimed he thought of the song while touring the US and the Chiffrons were #1. He took it in subconsciously.. I believe My Sweet Lord doesn't make any money for the Harrison estate as a result.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Yep there was a lot of controversy about that at the time Harrison's song was released. Don't know if it went to the courts for plagiarism though..

It most certainly did go to court, and Harrison lost.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Cat Stevens - Wide World (Stevens sued PSB and lost)
Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin

Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro
Labelle - Lady Marmalade

Procul Harem - Whiter Shade of Pale
Farm - All Together Now
Bach - Air on a G String

Black Grape - Shake your Money
Rolling Stones - Fool to Cry

Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Rolling Stones - Last Time

Radiohead - Creep
Hollies - Air that I Breathe (The song is so similar that Hollies share credits on Creep)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh...and one that I was listening to only this morning...

Molly Nilsson - Meanwhile in Berlin
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers

...if you like melancholic 80s electronica with incredible lyrics and simple yet infuriatingly catchy tunes then Molly Nilsson is a must-listen-to. She rarely tours because she rarely leaves Berlin but her music is very good.

I suppose if you move into the area of sampling other tunes then both Portishead - Glory Box and Tricky - Hell is Round the Corner are, of course, very similar. Oh , yeah...and Tone Loc's follow up to Funky Cold Medina was Wild Thing.....and, in my humble opinion, it's exactly the same tune recycled.

....and if we are going down hat road then Chubby Checker's entire catalogue is basically the same frigging tune re-worked.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Funny clip from a documentary about Deep Purple with the band explaining how they came to write Black Night.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here