Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loxwood

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thought I might go over and watch the Dev squad next week but just looked on Google Maps to see general layout, parking etc and buggered if I can see any kind of football pitch there .. anyone know it?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm sure Phil Collins came from there. Very nice place.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

The sports field is right next to his old house. Played cricket there, years ago and a helicopter often used to go in or out.

You Turn off the main road before you get to the village (Plaistow road) The pitch is a little way down on the left.
OK Facilities but it is little more than a village football set up.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A mate of mine is involved with running the club, he tells me they have a bar there, and that they average a crowd of about 40. They have worked very hard to get the place up to scratch to get a home fixture in the SSC, so you can imagine, they are pretty excited about it. A real theatre of trees

Loxwood-view.jpg

This is where the pitch is RH14 0SX - Google Maps

Yes, the entrance to Loxwood SSC is on the Plaistow Road (LHS) about 150m down from the junction with the B2133. The B2133 links the the A272 between Billingshurst and Wisborough Green with the A281 (Horsham/Guildford road) at Alfold Crossways.
Nearest pub is the Onslow Arms by the canal in Loxwood village - about 3/4km further on the B2133 (RHS); it's a former K&B pub selling that Hall & Woodhouse shit now.
Hope everyone takes full advantage of the integrated transport links that us locals cope with, in reverse, on alternate saturdays. There's a bus up from Worthing that goes by the Loxwood SSC but that only runs early afternoon on a Tuesday; anyone bringing a tent and camping until Sunday is welcome to a free lift back to the Univ Car Park before the Barnsley game.
Or a four mile walk from Billingshurst station!
Or a canal barge from Pulborough/Guildford - sorry abandonment of the Wey & Arun Canal has just been announced in the County Times.

See you there.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Looking forward to this, the day after Watford away so perhaps a lot of the development squad wilkl be involved. The road to Falmer starts here. I see we were drawn at home, anyone know the news on us using Withdean for reserve games, I see the womens team are already playing there.

Sussex FAFixtures

Looks like a sloping pitch and the possibility of lost footballs or even stolen by a yeti....

He and Jills kids used to go to Plaistow Primary School - before he went completely mad and left her. Their former house is behind the trees at the junction between the B2133 and Skiff Lane.
Mike Rutherford still lives at Drungewick Manor that's just up the road towards Rudgwick.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and of course Tony Banks was born in East Hoathley

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, the entrance to Loxwood SSC is on the Plaistow Road (LHS) about 150m down from the junction with the B2133. The B2133 links the the A272 between Billingshurst and Wisborough Green with the A281 (Horsham/Guildford road) at Alfold Crossways.
Nearest pub is the Onslow Arms by the canal in Loxwood village - about 3/4km further on the B2133 (RHS); it's a former K&B pub selling that Hall & Woodhouse shit now.
Hope everyone takes full advantage of the integrated transport links that us locals cope with, in reverse, on alternate saturdays. There's a bus up from Worthing that goes by the Loxwood SSC but that only runs early afternoon on a Tuesday; anyone bringing a tent and camping until Sunday is welcome to a free lift back to the Univ Car Park before the Barnsley game.
Or a four mile walk from Billingshurst station!
Or a canal barge from Pulborough/Guildford - sorry abandonment of the Wey & Arun Canal has just been announced in the County Times.

See you there.
Haven't they just dredged that and re-opened it? I used to drive up and down the B2133 every day in the early 1980s between Lancing and Guildford (rather than going A24 / A281 all the way) and I think the canal was overgrown then. Also are the Roger Tichbourne and the Limeburners still going? Or have they suffered the same fate as the Leathern Bottle on the A281?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Prog rock country.

What song do they run out to with the high musical pedigree thats all around them.

Run out song.......

Match of the Day (from the Spot the Pigeon EP obviously)
thumbnail.aspx

Can you spot the ground and the teams???????

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Haven't they just dredged that and re-opened it? I used to drive up and down the B2133 every day in the early 1980s between Lancing and Guildford (rather than going A24 / A281 all the way) and I think the canal was overgrown then. Also are the Roger Tichbourne and the Limeburners still going? Or have they suffered the same fate as the Leathern Bottle on the A281?

Limeburners is still there, still in the same family it has been for over a hundred years, although it is a Gales (sic) pub nowadays. The Sir Roger Tichbourne was closed for many years, but has re-opened in the past couple of years as a Gastro Pub type thing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Run out song.......

Match of the Day (from the Spot the Pigeon EP obviously)
thumbnail.aspx

Can you spot the ground and the teams???????

Alegedly the video for the song was recorded at Loftus Road

The Limeburners is still going but now owned by Fullers, who've taken over George Gale & Co, although it still sells the HSB Rocket Fluid. The Tichbourne was closed for about 5/6 years after the Hall & Woodhouse takeover of K&B whilst the brewery was trying to get a change of use in order to build some houses - it's a big site. Chichester DC basically told them to FO throughout and eventually H&W decided to sell the freehold. Reopened a couple of years back - food's pretty good, nice rear terrace and garden with views to the South Downs and Chanctonbury Ring for lunch, early evening meal in the summer and eating in the bar area's OK. However the restaurant, an extension the new owners built, is very anaemic and cavernous and there's nowhere really to just sit and have a beer in the "pub". Decent selection of beer's (ie ales) normally; Arundel and Dark Star regularly.
The canal's now in water between Drungewick lock (about 2km east of the Onslow Arms) to the pub and beyond, the W&ACT runs two canal barges for public trips, charters etc from the Onslow. The level has been dropped under the B2133 via two new locks and a new road bridge (£1.6M) and then winds it's way up towards the back of Ifold, Alfold and Sydney Wood up to the Dunsfold Airfield. The next lock (Devil's Hole) is restored and the Trust has now started work on the next. Provided we can raise the money there should be another 2km of restored canal by early 2013.
Great walks in this area if anyone's interested.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Alegedly the video for the song was recorded at Loftus Road

There was a VIDEO?????????????????? In 1977?????????????????????????

But the ground on the cover is not Loftus Road. In fact, it doesn't exist anymore (I think)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Limeburners is still there, still in the same family it has been for over a hundred years, although it is a Gales (sic) pub nowadays. The Sir Roger Tichbourne was closed for many years, but has re-opened in the past couple of years as a Gastro Pub type thing.

The Limeburners is still going but now owned by Fullers, who've taken over George Gale & Co, although it still sells the HSB Rocket Fluid. The Tichbourne was closed for about 5/6 years after the Hall & Woodhouse takeover of K&B whilst the brewery was trying to get a change of use in order to build some houses - it's a big site. Chichester DC basically told them to FO throughout and eventually H&W decided to sell the freehold. Reopened a couple of years back - food's pretty good, nice rear terrace and garden with views to the South Downs and Chanctonbury Ring for lunch, early evening meal in the summer and eating in the bar area's OK. However the restaurant, an extension the new owners built, is very anaemic and cavernous and there's nowhere really to just sit and have a beer in the "pub". Decent selection of beer's (ie ales) normally; Arundel and Dark Star regularly.
The canal's now in water between Drungewick lock (about 2km east of the Onslow Arms) to the pub and beyond, the W&ACT runs two canal barges for public trips, charters etc from the Onslow. The level has been dropped under the B2133 via two new locks and a new road bridge (£1.6M) and then winds it's way up towards the back of Ifold, Alfold and Sydney Wood up to the Dunsfold Airfield. The next lock (Devil's Hole) is restored and the Trust has now started work on the next. Provided we can raise the money there should be another 2km of restored canal by early 2013.
Great walks in this area if anyone's interested.

Thank you both for your replies. Haven't been up that way in years, but it sounds like we should pay it a visit soon. Good news about the pubs.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
35781900.jpg
Thank you both for your replies. Haven't been up that way in years, but it sounds like we should pay it a visit soon. Good news about the pubs.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
i was also thinking about attending , where is the nearest train station ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
There was a VIDEO?????????????????? In 1977?????????????????????????

Apparently so, but Phil Collins claims he doesn't remember making it, and it has been lost over time. That said, Phil Collins wishes he had never recorded/written MOTD anyway, he regards it as thoroughly embarassing.

i was also thinking about attending , where is the nearest train station ?

Billingshurst

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here