Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Do those Average Speed cameras work at night?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Can they read number plates at night? If not we can presumably drive at whatever speed we like after dark?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Aren't there usually floodlights at each camera?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
For years I was of the opinion these cameras were just there as a deterrent and didn't actually record your average speed............That was until I got caught out this year on the Hertfordshire stretch of the M25. Averaging 66mph in a 50. Whooops!! Luckily had the option of attending a 'Speed Awareness Course' rather than taking the points.

So watch out!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea but someone will be along soon, riding their high horse, telling you that you wouldn't have to worry if you stuck to the speed limit. There, I've saved them from a self righteous post.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As they stick them on roadworks where the bulk of the work happens at night, you'd have to assume they do.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Average speed cameras are the thing of the devil

No idea but someone will be along soon, riding their high horse, telling you that you wouldn't have to worry if you stuck to the speed limit. There, I've saved them from a self righteous post.
There are lots of good reasons to discourage speeding past road works. Some of them don't involve getting all self-righteous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To the best of my knowledge they have their own infrared lighting.

which you can normally see along side the cameras. i certainly stick to them, for one thing they are usually with very good reason, along side roadworks, narrow lanes.

the variable cameras round teh M25 i've concluded are only active when theres a reduced speed limit in force. ive seen cars go down there at considerable speed at night without any flashes.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
which you can normally see along side the cameras. i certainly stick to them, for one thing they are usually with very good reason, along side roadworks, narrow lanes.

the variable cameras round teh M25 i've concluded are only active when theres a reduced speed limit in force. ive seen cars go down there at considerable speed at night without any flashes.

I drove along the M25 yesterday circa 2130 and the variable speed limit was on set at 60. The road was empty but thought ok ill stick to 60. Next minute, it was 40 for literally no reason. I went through it at around 50 by the time i realised it was 40 - no doubt Ill get a ticket but why on earth was the limit on with no roadworks, no traffic..... very confusing!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
A mate just got three points and £60 fine for doing 48 in a 40 zone at 3am in Worthing off of a speed camera so that indicates they can spot your reg at night. Another mate told me a good tip, the cameras record your speed going away from the camera on rear plates and towards it on front plates, so if you drive in reverse you can go whatever speed you like.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Get a motorbike. The average speed Cameras photograph the front of your car.

No plates on the front of a bike. Go as fast as you like :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here