Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3Mobile- any good?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Contemplating switching my mobile deal after being with 02 for years. Anyone on here use 3Mobile? What's the coverage like? According to their website it's pretty good all around Sussex, but I'd rather hear it from an actual user.

So, would anyone recommend them?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Always found the coverage bad and Somalian pirates have a better customer service.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Personally from both sides of the fence (customer, through mobile data at work and at a retailer) they are pretty awful. However if you just want mobile internet, I'd consider them

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just out of interest, why you looking to change? If you have a phone and just want a cheap plan, giffgaff (uses o2) or o2 simplicity are pretty decent

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just signed up for a sim from GiffGaff to try it out. Does sound like there are very few negatives. There is a decent thread already:

GIFFGAFF THREAD

I had a 3mobile about 5 years ago, so can't give you any relevant advice. My deal was very good, but the coverage is really frustrating.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm on 3 and I think their coverage is really poor compared with other networks. Sometimes at home (Lewes) I loose the signal for no reason. I started using them 2 years ago because of their cheap deal but I'm going to look for a more reliable supplier that hopefully is not any more costly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Just looking around really, the tie-in period of my O2 contract expired a few months back so I was looking at the cost of an upgrade. My existing phone (iPhone 3GS) is starting to get a bit temperamental after two and a half years. 3Mobile seemed to have some reasonable deals for the 4S, hence the question. 02 haven't announced their 4S prices yet, and T-Mobile and Orange are both the same.

I'm not going to take the 4S bait for the sake of it if the network provider is rubbish, though, so I'd happily look at other phones. Alternatively, I'll just phone the O2 upgrades department, go through the usual charade of them quoting ridiculous prices or offering rubbish old phones, ask to be put through to Disconnections, and then hopefully negotiate the same deal off them that 3Mobile are offering.

They're all bastards really, aren't they?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm on 3 and I think their coverage is really poor compared with other networks. Sometimes at home (Lewes) I loose the signal for no reason. I started using them 2 years ago because of their cheap deal but I'm going to look for a more reliable supplier that hopefully is not any more costly.

This is what I was wondering: a friend of mine is on 3Mobile, and every time he goes upstairs in his house, the coverage disappears for some reason. Mind you, I've been finding O2's coverage getting worse and worse recently (when I'm at home). Nobody else I know has this problem- could it be down to the phone??

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just looking around really, the tie-in period of my O2 contract expired a few months back so I was looking at the cost of an upgrade. My existing phone (iPhone 3GS) is starting to get a bit temperamental after two and a half years. 3Mobile seemed to have some reasonable deals for the 4S, hence the question. 02 haven't announced their 4S prices yet, and T-Mobile and Orange are both the same.

I'm not going to take the 4S bait for the sake of it if the network provider is rubbish, though, so I'd happily look at other phones. Alternatively, I'll just phone the O2 upgrades department, go through the usual charade of them quoting ridiculous prices or offering rubbish old phones, ask to be put through to Disconnections, and then hopefully negotiate the same deal off them that 3Mobile are offering.

They're all bastards really, aren't they?

I'm in the same boat with my iPhone 3G, but it's already looking cheaper to buy the new 4S phone unlocked and with no contract (painful first payment I know), then use a GiffGaff sim. Within a year / 18months I've worked out I'll be better off (if the network iPhone 4S prices are similar to they are for iphone 4).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you have the cash, it may be better to get an iPhone 4S direct from Apple and put it on o2 simplicity for £15 a month? Over 18 months or so, you'll be better off than £200~ + £30~ a month for 18 months, just need the £500 or so upfront to do it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm with 3 but I'm looking to change. Voice signal disappears from time to time - I can use it in my office but not the kitchen downstairs. And there's virtually no 3G coverage between Brighton and London which is limiting if I want to work.

Mind you, I switched to 3 from Vodafone as they were shocking, looks like it's time to switch again. I might try Virgin this time.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you have the cash, it may be better to get an iPhone 4S direct from Apple and put it on o2 simplicity for £15 a month? Over 18 months or so, you'll be better off than £200~ + £30~ a month for 18 months, just need the £500 or so upfront to do it.

I've been on the Simplicity for the last 12 months, and it can't touch GiffGaff (as I've discovered today!!). The GiffGaff £10 goodybag gives you 250mins, unlimited texts and internet data, and on the O2 network. To get that Simplicity deal you also have to sign up for 12 months, whereas no contract on GG, you can stop using it whenever you want.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I've recently signed up with an iPhone 4 with Three. £35 per month with 5000 calls, 5000 texts and all you can eat data. Have only used between coast and London, and good. Also good reception in the Family Stand!!

Happy with mine.....so far.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I've had no complaints, but they are just about the only network to properly cover Hurstpierpoint, in Brighton my signal does vary a bit, but I've not had that issue in other places in the UK wierdly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I use them - not for phones, but for my MiFi - and data coverage seems pretty decent. Rarely get nothing at all and speeds are often surprisingly quick.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Vodafone undoubtedly has the best coverage overall, but you pay for it.

I recently tried to rejoin them but Orange gave me an offer to good to refuse.

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I Got an iphone4 with 3 and all you can eat data at £35pm. The coverage is pretty good and the net is fast. check with the coverage checker first though. I found the Customer service ok, although I was talking to Dehli, it was a clear line and the problem I had was sorted plus half off my bill for the trouble. Not Bad.
Topcashback did an offer of £110 cashback if you took the one plan. It takes 3 months to get it but it pays out!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Vodafone undoubtedly has the best coverage overall, but you pay for it.

I recently tried to rejoin them but Orange gave me an offer to good to refuse.

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

Vodafone used to be the best network - they're still charging as though they are. Having suffered their shit network over the lalst two years on a work contract I'd suggest don't touch. Unless you enjoy getting voicemais a week late.

Orange - data connectivity is shite

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
GiffGaff don't do the mini sims you need for Iphones though do they?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
GiffGaff don't do the mini sims you need for Iphones though do they?

They give you instructions on how to cut down a normal sim to micro size, or you can take into a shop and they charge £1 or similar. Also, because of the way GG works, it looks like many members get the sim cards to send out (which they get rewarded for) and cut them down themselves. It sounds a bit hatchet, but is apparently very straight forward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here