Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Vouchers now required for ALL bus journeys - looks like no more free travel?

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Brighton & Hove Buses have today changed the wording on their website, it no longer says "You will also be able to show your smartcard season ticket to the driver for free travel to the match." as it had done up until today.

For Services P, R and S the wording has been changed to say "Brighton & Hove Buses is pleased to be providing a network of bus routes serving the Amex Stadium on match days. The Albion are selling travel vouchers with their season tickets. You show your travel voucher to each driver on your way to the Stadium"

For Park and Ride Buses the wording has been changed to say "Park & Ride services will only accept travel vouchers issued by the football club and national concessionary passes for travel. If you have any further queries regarding acceptance of tickets on the park and ride services, you can contact the club on tickets[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk or 01273 878288."

For Normal Route Buses the wording says "On normal bus routes, we will accept valid Bus ID holders for 20p per journey when they travel with an adult who possesses a match travel voucher on match days".

At last, the club and bus company have caught up and it looks like this is the end of free bus travel by just showing a season ticket on any bus service on the way to or from games with travel vouchers now required starting with the next game I assume.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was just one of the original teething troubles that they now seem to have organised. Mithras House have been collecting them for the last couple of games.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
It’s been good for some while they have been able to get away with it, but having paid the £30 was pleased to have to show my voucher for a change. Maybe will have more chance of getting on the ‘S’ bus now. Not asked to show it on the way back from the ground though

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
On page 20 of the current Bus Times it states that drivers will accept season tickets as well as travel vouchers and I phoned their customer services last week to check this out and was assured that this would apply for the rest of the season. As this appears in writing in Bus Times I wonder what the legal position is.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
What if you use two buses per journey? Are they still expecting you to use four vouchers per match? The wording on the voucher says you do ("if you need to use another bus hand over another voucher"), but obviously they haven't insisted on that yet. Seems to be contrary to the spirit of the scheme IMO.

And has the 'Bracknell question' ever been answered? (Namely if you turn up at a P&R site without a voucher can you buy one there?)

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
What if you use two buses per journey? Are they still expecting you to use four vouchers per match? The wording on the voucher says you do ("if you need to use another bus hand over another voucher"), but obviously they haven't insisted on that yet. Seems to be contrary to the spirit of the scheme IMO.

I asked Insider this question back in August and his reply regarding a two-bus homeward journey was "You should just show your voucher, and hand it in on the final leg of your journey."

So it would appear that the wording on the vouchers is suspect (probably written by Ken Brown then!) but apparently on the way to the ground you hand one half to the driver and flash the remaining half to the second driver, while on the home journey you flash your second half to the first driver and hand it in to the second driver!

In fact, now I've just written it down, it just confirms that whoever came up with the voucher idea really didn't think it through for where two buses per journey are required (definately Ken Brown then!).

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In fact, now I've just written it down, it just confirms that whoever came up with the voucher idea really didn't think it through for where two buses per journey are required (definately Ken Brown then!).

It is nothing new. The same applied on the old voucher scheme. It always involved a discussion on the occasions I took two buses (or a bus and a train) to Withdean.

It is nothing new. The same applied on the old voucher scheme. It always involved a discussion on the occasions I took two buses (or a bus and a train) to Withdean.

my understanding is that the voucher system is no different to the one we had in 1999, so why do bus drivers constantly look at them in the way they would if someone offered to pay their fare with a 3 Cuban Peso note? any discussion always results in a successful journey, however I question if anyone has ever had said discussion with one of the drivers without the phrase "dunno?" thrown in somewhere

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Hang on. As I understand it you only have to give up part of your voucher once. After that you can just show the stub even if you take two buses. Don't hand that in as well or the bus company will get two payments from the club when they present them back for cashing up.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Hang on. As I understand it you only have to give up part of your voucher once. After that you can just show the stub even if you take two buses. Don't hand that in as well or the bus company will get two payments from the club when they present them back for cashing up.
On the one-off vouchers I've bought (I'm not a STH) there IS no stub, it's just one piece of paper. You'd have to tear it in half and give half to each driver, which seems a bit mickey mouse. And the wording on the voucher quite clearly states that it's 'one per bus'.

And I don't think the vouchers are handed back to the club for 'cashing up', I believe the club just pay a flat fee regardless of use.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here