Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Floodlights at The Amex

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Enjoyed last nights match - if only we had taken the game to them a bit more in the first half it could have been a different outcome. Vicente had some very classy touches - could be great things ahead if he develops a good understanding with CMS etc.

I haven't been able to get to an evening game at The Amex yet but have seen all of the Carling Cup games on telly and each time noted how uneven the lighting is from the floodlights on the East stand side of the pitch (ie opposite side of the ground to the main TV cameras).

Even with a big HD telly there were times when it was difficult to make out some of the players. Is this just the effect on telly - or is it the same in the ground?

Can the lights be adjusted to give a more even view? Before I ask the club does anyone else feel this is the case?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Looked fine on the mahoosive HDTV that I was sat right in front of at a random Wolverhampton old-man's pub. I haven't actually been to an evening game at the Amex yet, though, so not sure what the effect is like in real life.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
It may be me, but I think that we could do with some more lights, or the angle of the existing lights need adjusting. It just seems to be a little darker than other grounds at night.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Even with a big HD telly there were times when it was difficult to make out some of the players. Is this just the effect on telly - or is it the same in the ground?

Can the lights be adjusted to give a more even view? Before I ask the club does anyone else feel this is the case?

No, it's not just you. There have been several comments like this from previous night games... and for me, I would agree it looks pretty dim on the East side from our seats in WSU.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Didn't notice it at all from the WSU, but will deliberately look out for this on friday against Leeds but seems fine to me

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Why did the strip lights in the SE corner keep coming on at random times through out the game

The Sky Sports team were up in a make shift cabin in the corner by the disabled stand, this could have been the strip lighting you kept seeing.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The ten of us who go and sit in the WSL all commented on the fact that the lights weren't as bright as we thought they'd be at the Gillingham game, but put that down to some first night(time) issues. Last night just confirmed that from our WSL seats the East side looks a bit dark. It might be an optical illusion or they just need to turn the wick up.

No, it's not just you. There have been several comments like this from previous night games... and for me, I would agree it looks pretty dim on the East side from our seats in WSU.

This. We discussed the same point in wsu (F Block) last night. There was also a light pointing inwards to the crowd straight at my eye-line, which didn't help.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The lighting had been dimmed down due to council regulations governing night games. All the 400v fixtures had their voltages optimised and resulted in much lower light levels.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
Does it not appear dark as there are lights pointing at us in WSU from the roof? Could this be effecting how people eyes are responding to the darker pitch in comparison to the lights shining at us?

Might be complete bollocks though.

This

They are pointing straight at us

They need to be angled up a bit towards the roof

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here