Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Alias I loved. JJ Abrams just having fun. It picks up steam as it goes along and after episode 7 or 8 it just rattles along at great pace and Series 2 and 3 are brilliant. There is no obvious logic to most of the plot, so don't worry about it and enjoy the flow, and remember that you're not a true agent unless you're a double agent :thumbsup:

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Enjoyed all of the following but not sure how 'obscure' they are:

Fringe
Walking Dead
True Blood
Southland
V (new series)
Falling Skies

Of the less well known, Jericho was good (mentioned above) but had a rather hurried ending as they tried to wrap up the story as the show was cancelled, and I thoroughly enjoyed Invasion, about a small town in the everglades gradually being taken over by Aliens - only lasted one series but was top drawer in my book.

---
I am here: Google Maps
Sent from my iPhone during a rare moment of 3G signal

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
One that has started recently, Black Dynamite, an animated version of the Film from a couple of years back, which in itself was a spoof of blaxploitation films. Its on Adultswim, but the first episode atleast is on youtube.
I guess if you dont like blaxploitation humour and hearing muthafucka every other word its not for you, but its still rather amusing.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
True Blood (dark, adult vampire show) has been my summer favourite this year, absolutely brilliant.

Really good series, has anyone managed to extract the 'naughty bits' that very quickly flash throughout the opening title sequence ?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
This is a case of the tv series trumping the film? A la Buffy?!!

By a mile, the film is good but the TV series is outstanding.

Really good series, has anyone managed to extract the 'naughty bits' that very quickly flash throughout the opening title sequence ?

I'll have a look on YouTube! Love the title sequence, brilliantly original and sets the theme of the show really well.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Breaking Bad

Incredible work. Now watching Series 3 which I have had specically imported from the US. Superb acting, scripts and the backing music works well.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Does Californication count as "obscure"?

Anyone know if it's coming back?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Other than you Horsham, I can't believe there isn't loads if others saying a very big THIS.
It's an amazing program and the best America series I've seen in years. But then I am a big zombie film fan.

You're right. And how Egg out of This Life managed to wangle an audition and get the job is terrific news. Maybe noone thought it'd end up being this much fun.

I bought my first ever graphic novel last Christmas - The Walking Dead book the series is based on. Ridiculous but it's jolly if you've seen the programme first.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
:lol:

Does Californication count as "obscure"? Anyone know if it's coming back?
Good call, don't know if it is. Is that the one with the sex-mad character and the sex-mad David Duchovny? Was it good?

Oz (TV Series 19972003) - IMDb

OZ used to be on on C4 late at night probably around 10 years ago now. I have the box sets and it hasnt dated too much at all. Brilliant TV, proper gritty!
I like it when someone says things haven't dated, always makes it worth a go. I love St Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues and though the emotional content absolutely stands up, you do tend to view them as 'period' pieces in a small way. Weird, and a bit sad!

Thoroughly enjoyed RUBICON.
That was excellent wasn't it? I heard too that it had been cancelled but then again, I didn't think there was a series in it. Kind of like Damages, which got more and more preposterous after the first, absolutely brilliant, series.

Always Sunny in Philidephia is a funny show.
That's new to me. Added.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'll have a look on YouTube! Love the title sequence, brilliantly original and sets the theme of the show really well.

I usually fast forward through title sequences, but True Blood is so good I have to watch it, and the theme music is brilliantly matched to the programme.

There are several 'naughty bits' that are probably the shortest time that is allowed before it becomes subliminal.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
On the scifi front throughly reccoemend the wacky Warehouse 13 and the very clever Haven.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Dexter. Fantastically dark comedy. Michael C Hall from Six Feet Under plays a Miami police blood expert who is also a vigilante serial killer who takes out villains that the police can't pin crimes on. It's just finished its fifth series on FX. Not for the squeamish ...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
These are all great to watch with the family, we all sit down together to watch them:

Modern Family - Father with younger gorgeous wife, his gorgeous daughter and her family, his gay son and his partner.
Malcolm in the Middle - Genius schoolboy in a chaotic family
The Middle - Another chaotic family with the freaky tall guy from Scrubs (the cleaner).
My Name is Earl - Ex-con who rights all his wrongs.
Raising Hope - Single guy looking after his daughter from a previous girlfried who was a murderer and is now dead.

All of the above, very funny and Sky+ (well V+) them all. Seen all episodes and series but still watch all the repeats that have been recorded!

Fringe - Very good, a little frustrating like Lost but well worth watching.
Prison Break - Far fetched prison break outs and ins but good.

I think I will look up that Friday Night Lights, sounds good.

Oh yeah, I have all of the 1st series of Hawaii-5-O on my laptop but never got around to watching any of them yet. Any good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here