Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just finished all 3 series of fringe on Blinkx.com. Amazing series bit like x files but less aliens and more parellel universes and science with lovely Anna Torv as Agent Dunham and a crazy scientist who's always on drugs. The last few episodes of series 3 have blown my mind, simply stunning and very cleverly written. JJ Abrams has his paws all over this (Lost, Cloverfield). Though If you dont like needles dont watch it, it always seems to be someone getting injected. watch all 3 series and stick with it and i assure you, you will love it if you like a bit of sci fi.

JJ Abrams is a dead cert in my book. Fringe. Noted. Ta.

And he did Alias.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've heard Southland, another punchy cop series, is worth a look.... Anyone seen it?

Excellent programme. Were watching this On Demand recently and was it was taken off without warning.

One of the cast who plays a female investigator for the firm of Lawyers is the quaintly named Archie Panjabi, who for some reason or other I find very attractive.
She is English and was to be found previously in such stuff as East is East and Bend it Like Beckham.

And, bizarrely, is one of the voices in Postman Pat.

Am I allowed to say that Larry Sanders trumps this....?

This. One of the funniest shows ever. And, as far as I can see, not available in box-set. A tragedy.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
The league is meant to be very very funny not out here yet if ever? You don't need to enjoy American football just cruel male humour to each other apparently.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Of all those suggested, I would highly recommend Chuck (spy show with great balance of comedy and good storylines), Modern Family and The Walking Dead (zombie apocalypse show with British actor Andrew Lincoln).

True Blood (dark, adult vampire show) has been my summer favourite this year, absolutely brilliant.

ETA: Oh, and how could I forget Friday Night Lights, in my opinion the greatest American TV show I've ever watched. It's centres around a small town in Texas which revolves around American Football. Wasn't into the sport before watching this but am now, but even if you hate the sport, you can thoroughly enjoy and appreciate this marvellous bit of television. Incredibly realistic acting and excellent camera work. Nothing I've seen beats it so far.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Adventure Time
The Regular Show
Flapjack
The Amazing World of Gumball

Granted they're all animation on Cartoon Network....but they're all cracking.....especillaily Adventure Time.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh, and how could I forget Friday Night Lights, in my opinion the greatest American TV show I've ever watched. It's centres around a small town in Texas which revolves around American Football. Wasn't into the sport before watching this but am now, but even if you hate the sport, you can thoroughly enjoy and appreciate this marvellous bit of television. Incredibly realistic acting and excellent camera work. Nothing I've seen beats it so far.

This is a case of the tv series trumping the film? A la Buffy?!!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Life(aided by the gorgeous sarah shahi - the intern who had a crush on will in early episodes of alias)

I do believe she was a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader in a previous life! I remember Life, it didn't get a good reception and as always, I was foolish enough not to give it a try.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bloody hell, reading this lot I wonder how I've missed them. I've got Warehouse 13 ready to go too - starting with things I liked, on IMDb I clicked on producers and writers etc and ended up with it... OH YES I know, one of the actors was in The Shield. Following degrees of separation is a good way to uncover gems.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Friday Night Lights, 5 seasons. Its based in Texas and focuses on a High School American
football team.

I absolutely love it. Very critically acclaimed, but never got the audience it deserved

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here