Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Oh. I've just started Deep State and was going to recommend it on here. Bit of American gloss on the initial exposition but there seems to be enough ends that are going to stay untied to hold my interest.

Season 2 is incoming. I hear Walton Goggins is in it, which was the only reason I thought I'd get up to speed with season 1.

I'll have a gander at Sharp Objects at some point though. It rings a 'might be good' bell.

Well don’t let me put you off Deep State. It’s a decent enough show generally and every opinion is valid. I thought that it started well, but most of the second half of the series felt a bit routine for me.

On other shows lately I’m finding that even the shows that had good first seasons are failing to maintain standard.

Billions season 4 is full of cliches and gratuitous soundtracks in some scenes.

Tin Star season 2 doesn’t have a strong enough plot (for my liking).

Thank God for Chernobyl (if that isn’t too much of an Oxymoron).

I’m occasionally watching The OA season 2 as well. It has an intriguing ‘what random concept will they show next’ factor and it is very well acted and directed.

Planning to take a look at Brockmire soon as one or two have mentioned it on here.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Just finished "The Hot Zone" - Based on actual events. Set over two periods (the African story is told in flash back) about the emergence of Ebola and how unprepared the USA (and probably everyone else was) when the virus is discovered in Monkeys at a US Lab in 1989. Really well acted, with lots of well known faces. Only 6 episodes, well worth a watch- quite frightening as to the complacency of some officials and politicians.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
That'll be it then.

Let me know how you get on with the second series, I might pick it up again if you go with it.

I see what you mean about Series 2, it calmed down a bit by the end and the 3rd series got me back into laugh out loud territory.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see what you mean about Series 2, it calmed down a bit by the end and the 3rd series got me back into laugh out loud territory.

If ep 1 of series 3 is anything to go by, I thank you.

Brockmire certainly seems to be back on track.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Well don’t let me put you off Deep State. It’s a decent enough show generally and every opinion is valid. I thought that it started well, but most of the second half of the series felt a bit routine for me.

On other shows lately I’m finding that even the shows that had good first seasons are failing to maintain standard.

Billions season 4 is full of cliches and gratuitous soundtracks in some scenes.

Tin Star season 2 doesn’t have a strong enough plot (for my liking).

Thank God for Chernobyl (if that isn’t too much of an Oxymoron).

I’m occasionally watching The OA season 2 as well. It has an intriguing ‘what random concept will they show next’ factor and it is very well acted and directed.

Planning to take a look at Brockmire soon as one or two have mentioned it on here.

I think I've reached that halfway point, so yes, I know what you mean. I do think this routine of US tv having lengthy seasons is marvellous when it works, but it can be painful when it doesn't. You mention Billions... so much wrong with season 4; Sneaky Pete has seemingly suffered the same "we've got to fill our 13 episode slots" syndrome. With Tin Star, I suppose you've got to give its second outing the benefit of the doubt; I'm gutted that Counterpart has definitely finished after 2, but even then I'm glad that what there is is pretty perfect.

Chernobyl is the only show in recent memory that I haven't heard a negative comment about anywhere, in fact it's been practically lauded to the skies. That and The Looming Tower. So I'm recording both for a long couple of weekends when they're over. But like you say, it's all just opinions. There's so much stuff out there, one hopes the icky shows get filtered out (and to be fair, I probably would have given Deep State 1 a miss if I'd read what was posted here).

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm near the end of series 3 of Schitts Creek now. It's got better and better. I can't wait to watch a few episodes a night now.

Love Schitt's Creek - it's our family mealtime treat these days. Just got to the end of Series 4 and 5 has now appeared so happy days. It's got better and better as the series roll through - laugh out loud funny at times - and increasingly emotional depth to the characters, which you don't see coming at the start.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Love Schitt's Creek - it's our family mealtime treat these days. Just got to the end of Series 4 and 5 has now appeared so happy days. It's got better and better as the series roll through - laugh out loud funny at times - and increasingly emotional depth to the characters, which you don't see coming at the start.

Just finished series 5 tonight, which is a shame as I did look forward to starting it each night.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just what the first episode of Catch 22, which I believe is coming to Chl 4 at the end of the month.

I don't have any affiliation for the book, I can't even remember if I've read it or not, so this recommendation might not be for aficionados.

I rather enjoyed it.
George Clooney couldn't eat any more scenery if he tried.
The Dr is very well played, and there's a lot of humour.

I'll definitely carry on watching and recommend it to others who don't have the book in their 'top 100 reads'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just what the first episode of Catch 22, which I believe is coming to Chl 4 at the end of the month.

I don't have any affiliation for the book, I can't even remember if I've read it or not, so this recommendation might not be for aficionados.

I rather enjoyed it.
George Clooney couldn't eat any more scenery if he tried.
The Dr is very well played, and there's a lot of humour.

I'll definitely carry on watching and recommend it to others who don't have the book in their 'top 100 reads'.
Second episode in and I have one addendum:-

Boobies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The pair in the first episode belonging to Julie Ann Emery are quite spectacular, so I did wonder if that was just a one off.

The second episode is very good (again with the non book reading caveat) and other boobies do appear.

I'm so so sorry ladies, honest to god every day I do try and be a better man, but not being a filthy creep is harder than you think.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I think I've reached that halfway point, so yes, I know what you mean. I do think this routine of US tv having lengthy seasons is marvellous when it works, but it can be painful when it doesn't. You mention Billions... so much wrong with season 4; Sneaky Pete has seemingly suffered the same "we've got to fill our 13 episode slots" syndrome. With Tin Star, I suppose you've got to give its second outing the benefit of the doubt; I'm gutted that Counterpart has definitely finished after 2, but even then I'm glad that what there is is pretty perfect.

Chernobyl is the only show in recent memory that I haven't heard a negative comment about anywhere, in fact it's been practically lauded to the skies. That and The Looming Tower. So I'm recording both for a long couple of weekends when they're over. But like you say, it's all just opinions. There's so much stuff out there, one hopes the icky shows get filtered out (and to be fair, I probably would have given Deep State 1 a miss if I'd read what was posted here).

Will be glad to finish Billions Season 4 this week. It’s basically turned into Grey’s Monotony and I won’t bother watching another season.

Tin Star 2 is starting to recover around episode 7, so I’ll agree with you there.

Running out of quality stuff at the moment.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Excellent new 10 parter for lovers of Scandi Noir (Finnish). Bit of politics/family/spy thrown in for good measure, and rather good it is too.

Cover.jpg

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Netflix. When they see us. 4 episodes. True story. Funking brilliant!!

Yes fu*king depressing, I watched a documentary years back about this, glad its been made into a series so the world can find about the case. I think I saw prosecutor Elizabeth Lederer has been fired from her job at Columbia Law School over the last couple days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even the search function couldn't find it! Only thread that came up before I posted was in the baseball thread. I'll probably finish the first series tonight so I'll get on to the second soon.

I breezed through the third series of Brockmire and it was very funny with some proper laugh out loud moments.

I highly recommend the 1st and 3rd series, some of the best comedy around.
The 2nd series just wasn't for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here