Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not obscure on any level.

Yesterday I started watching Life on Mars, again, with Jnr, on I-player.

It's still jolly good fun.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Don't forget, they're showing S6 of Spiral (Engrenages) on BBC, prior to the much anticipated S7 starting at the weekend.

Imho the best non Scandi cop show around.

I've really enjoyed the last 2 series, unfortunately can't find anywhere to watch the first 4 without paying, they don't appear to be on Netflix or Amazon.

Also BBC4 at 9pm on Saturdays nights is excellent, they show foreign crime drama throughout the year, just finished Darkness, those that kill which was pretty good, but have watched loads of stuff from Scandanavia to Wales which I wouldn't normally watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh last night, for no apparent reason, I watched the first episode of Batwoman.

I doubt a programme has ever been more route one than that.
Really doesn't get more generic.
It did have a surprisingly nice nod to Lock Stock .... .

Although as proof of you can't have it both ways it's still better than Pennyworth which I continued with long past its sell by date purely because I couldn't believe the absolute bollox it was churning out.
That programme has no idea which century it should be based it, hopping across 3, sometimes in the same episode.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Something to get your Scandi juices flowing, basically a who’s who of Danish crime drama.

Ulrich Thomsen, Trine Dyrholm, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Lars Mikkelsen, David Dencik, Søren Malling and Lars Ranth are all pencilled in to star.

Forhøret (Face To Face). Looks great.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If it hasn't already been mentioned 'Unbelievable' on Netflix is a superb drama. It's allegedly based on a true story.

Great show, but your use of the word allegedly in connection to it, considering the shows content, is jarring.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Don't forget, they're showing S6 of Spiral (Engrenages) on BBC, prior to the much anticipated S7 starting at the weekend.

Imho the best non Scandi cop show around.

I watched the first one when it came out (pretty sure it was you who pointed me in its direction all those years ago) and loved it so much I got hold of the next five. Seeing this made me go.... ooops, I haven't watched them yet.

Well, at least I know what I'll be doing in the evenings for the next 6 months.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Oh good, I really liked the first season.

I've just started Succession and after a few Best Thing I've Seen This Year posts, this is the latest. Written by Jesse Armstrong (The Thick of It), Brian Cox is the aging scion of an American media empire, and as the title suggests, there are manoeuverings from the family about who should eventually take over. The writing is effing brilliant, it has TToI's backstabbing, public/private conversations, shenanighans, laugh out loud moments, but is 99% less obvious satire. Proper proper good.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...t-dissection-mega-rich-family-jesse-armstrong

I think the second series is about the best thing currently on HBO. Like many good series it took a while to get into its stride. As you say - a lot of backstabbing and plenty of humour (second series seems even funnier). And some of the dialogue - "I'm not in the right panic room" - is brilliant.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've recently worked my way through the first season of Umbrella Academy on netflix. Based on a comic book, a number of women around the world give birth at the same time - none of them were pregnant at the start of the day, a man adopts a group of them and trains them to be superheroes. Cut to years later when they've all gone their separate ways, they come back together when the man dies. Then one of them (who went missing earlier) returns (from the future) and tells them they have three days to save the world... I quite enjoyed it.

I'm also about 2/3rds of the way through Castle Rock. A Stephen King universe-type show. I'm enjoying it so far. It's on Starzplay - a subscription streaming channel that can be accessed through apple tv or amazon prime (probably others, I imagine). Or can be bought as a series on its own, which is what I did because I didn't want to subscribe to another streaming service.

I watched the first Criminal UK. I like stories like that, ones taking place in a single location, what Abed would call a 'bottle episode'. So I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.
I added Carnival Row to my watchlist, mainly out of morbid curiosity. I think when your show is hanging on Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevigne it doesn't exactly scream top quality acting, but it looks like amazon are getting behind it, so...

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I've recently worked my way through the first season of Umbrella Academy on netflix. Based on a comic book, a number of women around the world give birth at the same time - none of them were pregnant at the start of the day, a man adopts a group of them and trains them to be superheroes. Cut to years later when they've all gone their separate ways, they come back together when the man dies. Then one of them (who went missing earlier) returns (from the future) and tells them they have three days to save the world... I quite enjoyed it.

Lesser know fact about this is that the comic book on which it is based was co-created by Gerard Way, the former lead singer of My Chemical Romance.

This was introduced to me by my MCR-obsessed daughter. I quite enjoyed the show too.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watchmen starts in the US on Sunday night. Getting some good reviews - needs something to take over from Succession and Righteous Gemstones.

RG was really good - a piss take on the whole 'religion for profit' which is rife over here, and good to see John Goodman again (the closest thing America has to a National Treasure - well him and Joe Pesci)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just completed watching The Americans on Amazon Prime.

I had watched the first series or two on ITV1 years back, before they started mucking around with it in their scheduling.

Amazing imho, 10/10, up there with Breaking Bad and House of Cards. A unpredictable, poignant finale!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I watched Tell Me Who I Am recently, a Netflix documentary about twin brothers in Sussex dealing with a motorbike accident, a memory loss and subsequent revelations.

I grew up in that area and was familiar with the family in the 80s so admittedly searched it out with some sort of net curtain-twitching nosiness - but it's undeserving of that, indeed of anything other than a deep appreciation of the honesty on show, and the skill of the story-telling. It's an unpleasant story and as a documentary, excellent; extraordinarily well-handled. Do keep away from spoilers if you have 90 minutes spare and fancy a watch.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Watching the first season of the Sinner on Netflix, quite good as you find out the killer in the first episode but have to find out why they did it in the rest of the series.

There is a scene between the 2 sisters in episode 6 which is a little disturbing though.

started watching this on your recommendation, two episodes in and I am hooked.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I've watched the first 2 episodes, quite enjoying it, gorgeous to look at in a Tim Burton kind of way. The Burgh (ie victorian London) is splendidly realised and very Jack the Ripper-esque. Plus I'd never seen a fairy getting fvcked, let alone seeing them in a threesome.

I'll carry on with it for now.

loved Carnival row, although a little disappointed in the final episode. set up nicely for season 2.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
BBC's The Nest.

bbc-one-the-nest-cast-1572967988.jpg

Line of Duty's Martin Compston and Peaky Blinders' Sophie Rundle star in first official photo for new BBC drama The Nest.

Looking forward to this :thumbsup:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a2969...hie-rundle-bbc-one-the-nest-first-look-image/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Despite not being obscure on any level, it would be remiss of me not to mention that All 4 has all of 30 Rock on catch up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here