Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Following on from the French film thread in Other Stuff (which is where this one'll probably end up, sorry mods), I thought a similar thread of US television series would be useful.

Mainstream stuff doesn't count (24, West Wing etc), but if it was only shown late night on BBC2, Sky, Ch4 or Ch5 please include it. Equally, if it's never been shown over here but you've seen it and recommend it heartily, post it here.

On my computer I have Treme (from The Wire lot) about the New Orleans floods, Breaking Bad, a dark dark comedy(?), and Weeds, no idea but someone told me to watch it, ready to go. Oh, and Blue Bloods, from NSC.

I recommend Alias, light spy caper but great fun, The Shield, brilliantly involving cop drama, and, criminally cancelled by FX after just one series, Terriers, about a couple of middle-aged private eyes, which if you can get a look at it is superb.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Life was good, only survived for two series. - Damien Lewis plays a policeman who was framed for a crime, spent several years in prison, then got out and sued the city for an unannounced large sum of money, and his job back, and as he solves crimes in each episode (aided by the gorgeous sarah shahi - the intern who had a crush on will in early episodes of alias) while also investigating who in the police force set him up.
Harper's Island was a decent horror series. - A girl who was the daughter of one of 13 victims of a mad man's killing spree on the titular island, returns to the island for her childhood friend's wedding, and the killings start again...
Cult favourites, so not sure how obscure they are, Firefly (comedy adventure space western from Joss Whedon) and Arrested Development (spoof documentary about a dysfunctional family)

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There are two that I'd recommend that I've seen in the States.

Bored to Death - About a writer in Brooklyn that moonlights as a private detective. Ted Danson is in it and it's probably his best role since Cheers, it's aslo got Zach Galifianakis.

The Big C - Who'd have thought a show about cancer could be this good. I didn't know any of the cast apart from Oliver Platt. It's a real slow burner but worth sticking with.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Southland = very good, gritty, hand held kind of effect, shows the more realistic side of police work in troubled suburbs of LA, lots of personal threads for the main people with a nice element of dry humour and drama mixed together.

Modern family = more english in its writing, fast paced with some quality typecasting, very funny and as with most new US comedies, the complete dropping of the "canned laughter effect" and introduces some quality actors/actresses, have a search for images of Sofia Vergara...her attributes feature heavily, albiet hidden by clothing, but you get the idea..

Obviously Entourage, one of the all time best US shows.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Life was good, only survived for two series. - Damien Lewis plays a policeman who was framed for a crime, spent several years in prison, then got out and sued the city for an unannounced large sum of money, and his job back, and as he solves crimes in each episode (aided by the gorgeous sarah shahi - the intern who had a crush on will in early episodes of alias) while also investigating who in the police force set him up.
Harper's Island was a decent horror series. - A girl who was the daughter of one of 13 victims of a mad man's killing spree on the titular island, returns to the island for her childhood friend's wedding, and the killings start again...
Cult favourites, so not sure how obscure they are, Firefly (comedy adventure space western from Joss Whedon) and Arrested Development (spoof documentary about a dysfunctional family)

Arrested Development is my favourite comedy series ever. 3 cracking series and shame there weren't more.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
On More 4 every week day at 1.30pm there is a little gem. It's called The Good Wife. One of the cast who plays a female investigator for the firm of Lawyers is the quaintly named Archie Panjabi, who for some reason or other I find very attractive.
She is English and was to be found previously in such stuff as East is East and Bend it Like Beckham. It's produced by Scott Free as well which doesn't do any harm.

Archie+Panjabi+Heart+Truth+Red+Dress+Collection+t38Dc-3drful.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bored to Death - About a writer in Brooklyn that moonlights as a private detective. Ted Danson is in it and it's probably his best role since Cheers
Always very watchable - he's the new man in CSI next time around.

The Big C - Who'd have thought a show about cancer could be this good. I didn't know any of the cast apart from Oliver Platt. It's a real slow burner but worth sticking with.
He can be rather hit and miss but when he's good, he's good.

eastbound and down

Now that I like!!

On More 4 every week day at 1.30pm there is a little gem. It's called The Good Wife.
I've heard good things about this.

Ooo...

Can we include Murder One..?

Damn right sir - though I preferred the second series, they're both groundbreaking. Daniel Benzali got to marry Kim Cattrall...

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Just finished all 3 series of fringe on Blinkx.com. Amazing series bit like x files but less aliens and more parellel universes and science with lovely Anna Torv as Agent Dunham and a crazy scientist who's always on drugs. The last few episodes of series 3 have blown my mind, simply stunning and very cleverly written. JJ Abrams has his paws all over this (Lost, Cloverfield). Though If you dont like needles dont watch it, it always seems to be someone getting injected. watch all 3 series and stick with it and i assure you, you will love it if you like a bit of sci fi.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here