Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
A few of us chatted through 'Dance' on this thread:-

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?367547-NBA-oh-god-no/page8&highlight=basketball

As I've said a few times, it's rekindled my enjoyment of ESPN's 30 for 30 series.

I've watched some great episodes, recently:-

Mike & The Mad Dog - The birth of Sports Radio.
John Daly - eye opening.
George Best - Nothing new to us, obviously, but still so well told.
Carter Football - The two extreme sides of High School 'celebrity'.
Jimmy The Greek - Sports betting with a John Mac OTT character.
Matt Hoffman - The birth of big air
Eddie Aikau - Surfer/Lifeguard, a very effecting watch.

Somewhat frustratingly I cannot find Alex Gibney's Catching Hell - Steve Bartman film.
Gonna have to look into paying for it. :down:

Oh man, mentioning the 30 for 30’s did you watch The Two Escobars? About Pablo and the killing of Andres after he scored an own goal against the US in the World Cup. About ten years old but my favorite 30 for 30.
MV5BMTYzNTMwODM3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQ5NzA3NTE@._V1_.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh man, mentioning the 30 for 30’s did you watch The Two Escobars? About Pablo and the killing of Andres after he scored an own goal against the US in the World Cup. About ten years old but my favorite 30 for 30.

Yes, agreed, superb. In fact that whole first season of 30 For 30s was excellent, wasn't it? I (still) pay no heed to basketball or baseball or their football, but without exception, each programme was superb. The Two Escobars, Without Bias, and The Guru of Go, all stick solidly in the mind.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Yes, agreed, superb. In fact that whole first season of 30 For 30s was excellent, wasn't it? I (still) pay no heed to basketball or baseball or their football, but without exception, each programme was superb. The Two Escobars, Without Bias, and The Guru of Go, all stick solidly in the mind.

Just seen there's a whole load of podcasts too...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched that back in the day and am heading in that direction from the other end.

As said I'm going through the 3rd series.

Like you but for the opposite reasons I'm steering clear of the main sports watching the niche episodes.

Rick Flair was as darkly fun as you'd expect.
I wasn't taken with the UFC film, although the whole origin of the sport was interesting.
Catholics v Convicts was great.

They are so enjoyable due to some of the great lines:-

"The first game was like running over a baby deer.
Only to reverse over twice, just to make sure it was dead". :lol:

and finally:-

Duke Lacrosse - oh man what a pre social media story that is.
I kind of knew it was a 'story' as it still gets mentioned in hushed tones, much like Len Bias -
'Don't go all Duke Lacrosse'
But I'd never actually bothered to investigate the context.

I'm so glad I didn't and went into the film cold, what a watch.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
View attachment 126130

Thanks for this...:thumbsup:

Wasn't sure where to find it but, as usual, shiver me timbers did the job

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for this...:thumbsup:

Wasn't sure where to find it but, as usual, shiver me timbers did the job

In all seriousness even if you think you have absolutely interest in the subject matter, but have an hour or so to kill, you could do a lot worse than picking any 30 for 30.

Obviously they don't make the film about any old shite, so its a great story.
Then added to that each film is put together so well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many months after starting Justified on Amazon Prime, with a big break in the middle distracted by CNN’s mockery of Trump amongst other things, I’ve just completed the lot.

Loved it so much, great performances, unique storylines. Now the grieving :cry: that’s it’s all over.

The yanks make these so well

Next up for me ... the new season of the brilliant Bosch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Season 2 of Doom Patrol has recently started on Starzplay. Three eps available immediately the rest will be released weekly. It is crazy, I love it. One of the characters is a transgender teleporting street. The first ep of season two involved robotman slaying a rat and wearing his hide as a trophy while they were all miniaturised. The first episode of the first season ended with a donkey farting and causing a blackhole to appear. It is out there.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Watchmen starts in the US on Sunday night. Getting some good reviews - needs something to take over from Succession and Righteous Gemstones.

Did you watch Watchmen? I'm on the last episode and I loved the first half of the series - the visuals are terrific, the humour, the characters (the FBI woman is a standout), the whole conspiracy-laden plotting of it, but the last few episodes have, as they moved into more superhero-logic and lore, bored me, I'm afraid to say. I loved the film, and without knowing much of anything about Alan Moore, suspect his story-telling is the one and only reason why adaptations of his stuff are so good.

So I end it disappointed. Am I the only one?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Many months after starting Justified on Amazon Prime, with a big break in the middle distracted by CNN’s mockery of Trump amongst other things, I’ve just completed the lot.

Loved it so much, great performances, unique storylines. Now the grieving :cry: that’s it’s all over.

Justified is excellent. Only one series in so far, but great balance of ' crime of the week' , long themes action, romance comedy

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

I feel your pain. The 2010s was a good moment for TV, as this list of 50 by Rolling Stone shows (Justified comes in at number 8!).

Boardwalk Empire, Halt and Catch Fire, The Shield (still and forever) are similarly good epics to get sucked into if that's what you're after after Bosch again. Or if the one season of Terriers sounds like your thing, then I might know someone who might have it on Dropbox.

Anyway, happy hunting!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

Justified is one of my favourite series of all time.

If you like that, check out Yellowstone which you can download on Sky if you type it in their search.

Its not as good as Justified but each episode has been getting better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQJpvU1nV4

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel your pain. The 2010s was a good moment for TV, as this list of 50 by Rolling Stone shows (Justified comes in at number 8!).

Boardwalk Empire, Halt and Catch Fire, The Shield (still and forever) are similarly good epics to get sucked into if that's what you're after after Bosch again. Or if the one season of Terriers sounds like your thing, then I might know someone who might have it on Dropbox.

Anyway, happy hunting!

Thanks so much.

That sets me up for a year or two :lolol:

Luckily I have very varied viewing tastes, ranging from the violent, political, historical, sci fi, romantic genre to Nordic Noir.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Big fan of Perry Mason and currently watching the first series from 1957 on CBS crime. Love all the old cars, buildings and the ways and attitudes of the 50's. Watched the first HBO one with eager anticipation, but sadly it's just a dull, barely intelligable bunch of decent actors with names from an old tv series. Violent tosh. I read the reviews and it turned out Mrs Earle and I missed whole swathes of the plot. Doesn't matter, we won't be going back.

And that great theme music!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Anyway, happy hunting!

Based on your recommendation, I’m watching Halt and Catch Fire.

9 episodes into season one, it’s amazing, the main characters are interesting and played brilliantly.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Based on your recommendation, I’m watching Halt and Catch Fire.

9 episodes into season one, it’s amazing, the main characters are interesting and played brilliantly.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Blimey, never thought someone would actually listen to me! Hope it works out for you, and if you get to the end, can we have a brief "wow, brilliant" exchange? Ta :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here