Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Halfway through six-parter 'The Spy', Sacha Baron Cohen as a Mossad-recruited spy in 1960s. As far away from not being as ropey as it sounds like it should be, as it's possible to be. Based on true events and I wasn't going to say anything here 'til I'd finished it, but have woken up with it pinging about in my head.

He's really very good in it.

download.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got back into watching Discovery Channel docusoaps.

Idiots diving for gold.
Lunatics fishing for crab, etc.

There's something a little comforting that these programmes haven't changed in the slightest, over the last 10 years.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
You don't get much more obscure than this:-

[tweet]1257767702678122503[/tweet]

I can't imagine what Ricky, Craig & Ralph must be feeling listening to that.

Affirmation baby

That is up there with Chuck Norris referencing BHA. Fantastic and he really knows his stuff. Never watched Sopranos, but isn't that James Gandolfinii speaking though? Confused.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Halfway through six-parter 'The Spy', Sacha Baron Cohen as a Mossad-recruited spy in 1960s. As far away from not being as ropey as it sounds like it should be, as it's possible to be. Based on true events and I wasn't going to say anything here 'til I'd finished it, but have woken up with it pinging about in my head.

He's really very good in it.

View attachment 124003

Yes, I thought he was really good in that.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?214257-Obscure-quot-US-TV-choices-recommendations-please&p=9063347&viewfull=1#post9063347

Just started Hightown which is only 2 episodes in but pretty good so far.

Today marks the final :tantrum: episosde of S2 of Mystery Road which includes Sofia Helin from The Bridge. Very good it has been too,

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Yes, I thought he was really good in that.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?214257-Obscure-quot-US-TV-choices-recommendations-please&p=9063347&viewfull=1#post9063347

Just started Hightown which is only 2 episodes in but pretty good so far.

Today marks the final :tantrum: episosde of S2 of Mystery Road which includes Sofia Helin from The Bridge. Very good it has been too,

Ah yes, a very belated thumbs up for that - I saw that post and added it to my mental list. You have yet to fail me friend, keep up the good work!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've recently seen a couple of people in the industry (I think James Gunn - director of Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Slither and Danny Zuker - EP/writer on Modern Family) include Patriot in their list of shows to binge watch during the lockdown. It has a couple of seasons on Amazon Prime so it may have been mentioned in the thread before. I've added it to my watchlist, anyone know if it's any good?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
More 'blast from the past' than Obscure, by virtue of the fact it's anything but obscure.

Last night I introduced Stat Club Jnrs to:-

Moonlighting-Seasons-1-2-DVD-2005-6-Disc.jpg

They fudging loved it.

TBH they weren't the only ones.

Maybe because I thought the passing 35 years :ohmy: wouldn't have been kind so having incredibly low expectations helped elevate it, but I enjoyed it too.

Sure Cybill is an absolute fox, a RoboBabe, Baberaham Lincoln but, in this case at least, good scripts and good acting still made for good TV.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
More 'blast from the past' than Obscure, by virtue of the fact it's anything but obscure.

View attachment 124042

They fudging loved it.

Maybe because I thought the passing 35 years :ohmy: wouldn't have been kind and I had incredibly low expectations helped elevate it, but I enjoyed it too.

Sure Cybill is an absolute fox, a RoboBabe, Baberaham Lincoln but, in this case at least, good scripts and good acting still made for good TV.

One of my favorite tv shows all time. Its timeless in the sense that it is completely unique. Its not as awfully slow and ugly like a lot of 80s shows.

Was a huge fan of the series like ten years ago, got all the DVD:s and the extra material and even bought Cybills self-biography "Cybill Disobedience" (very fun read).

Season 1 is great but a bit slow at times, season 2 is great, season 3 good... and then it pretty rapidly goes downwards and the last season is unwatchable as it is painfully obvious that all of the cast and the writers etc hate eachother.

The script is what makes it great but it would just have been silly and embarrasing if Bruce Willis wasnt absolutely phenomenal as David Addison. The character would have been unbearable in the wrong hands.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

View attachment 124042

They fudging loved it.

Maybe because I thought the passing 35 years :ohmy: wouldn't have been kind so having incredibly low expectations helped elevate it, but I enjoyed it too.

Your kids must be made of sterner stuff! My daughter won’t watch anything featuring a mobile phone model more than a couple of years old or someone wearing an outdated cut of jeans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your kids must be made of sterner stuff! My daughter won’t watch anything featuring a mobile phone model more than a couple of years old or someone wearing an outdated cut of jeans.
I didn't realise the pilot episode was feature length.
The fact that they still stuck it out is testament to the show.

They were even oohhhhing and aahhing through the denouement.

That said if it's on TV they'll watch.

We got to Moonlighting because I had to watch Armageddon, honest I had to watch it due to a very enjoyable podcast.
The same podcast had us Back To The Future, last week, so today I filled 30 minutes with Spin City.

They laughed their way through that too, even though they had no idea what was going on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I didn't realise the pilot episode was feature length.
The fact that they still stuck it out is testament to the show.

They were even oohhhhing and aahhing through the denouement.

That said if it's on TV they'll watch.

We got to Moonlighting because I had to watch Armageddon, honest I had to watch it due to a very enjoyable podcast.
The same podcast had us Back To The Future, last week, so today I filled 30 minutes with Spin City.

They laughed their way through that too, even though they had no idea what was going on.

How you getting on with White Lines, just finished here, very good :thumbsup:

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I've got back into watching Discovery Channel docusoaps.

Idiots diving for gold.
Lunatics fishing for crab, etc.

There's something a little comforting that these programmes haven't changed in the slightest, over the last 10 years.

SKY Documentaries new channel starts Wednesday (channel 114).
Includes McMillion$ about an ex-cop who managed to rig the Monopoly game which McDonald's ran as a promotion about 20 years ago.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Just binged “Into the badlands” by AMC, not bad if your into a medieval post apocalypse, martial arts gore fest with a story....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Top news in these times, S8 and the FINAL series of Engrenages (Spiral) is being promoted.

Up there with the best: The Killing, The Bridge, Borgen, Wallander and Beck.

Top TV.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are there any fans of The History Channel's Oak Island here, as I like I'd like a question answered:-

'its all bollox right?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here