Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I'm currently watching The Blacklist on Amazon Prime, available at a not too pricey additional cost. It's an FBI story with a difference.

It's excellent, James Spader is great.

Each episode is a standalone story, but there's a couple of unresolved themes bubbling under the surface throughout.

[Great news for me ..... I'm only in season 1 and have just discovered that there are 9 seasons :) ].

First 3 or 4 (maybe couple more) seasons are brilliant then it goes badly down hill, the last couple seasons are dreadful but I stuck it out because I was so invested.

It turns from a great series into a typical weekly soap.

James Spader is brilliant throughout though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First 3 or 4 (maybe couple more) seasons are brilliant then it goes badly down hill, the last couple seasons are dreadful but I stuck it out because I was so invested.

It turns from a great series into a typical weekly soap.

James Spader is brilliant throughout though.

That's not unusual, I've kind of abandoned Mr Robot.

At present I'll carry on, I'm in season 2 and loving it, yes JS's great in it. The cerebral assasin!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
That's not unusual, I've kind of abandoned Mr Robot.

At present I'll carry on, I'm in season 2 and loving it, yes JS's great in it. The cerebral assasin!

Yeah keep going, mate.

It's absolute quality whilst it's at its best but infuriating the way it went from a quality series with stories, plot, sub plots etc to a mishmash weekly soap oprah.

I genuinely think the writers ended making it up as they went along every week lol

Sorry to put a downer on it, it just bought back how p!ssed off about the series :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah keep going, mate.

It's absolute quality whilst it's at its best but infuriating the way it went from a quality series with stories, plot, sub plots etc to a mishmash weekly soap oprah.

I genuinely think the writers ended making it up as they went along every week lol

Sorry to put a downer on it, it just bought back how p!ssed off about the series :lol:

Don’t worry, @Stat already put in a huge hint.

Only a few very long series are brilliant from start to finish lasting many years. The Americans, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Bosch ….. .

I’ll live in the TV moment and just enjoy for now.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Don’t worry, @Stat already put in a huge hint.

Only a few very long series are brilliant from start to finish lasting many years. The Americans, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Bosch ….. .

I’ll live in the TV moment and just enjoy for now.

Have you seen 'Halt and Catch Fire'? I thought that was quality from start to finish.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I'm currently watching The Blacklist on Amazon Prime, available at a not too pricey additional cost. It's an FBI story with a difference.

It's excellent, James Spader is great.

Each episode is a standalone story, but there's a couple of unresolved themes bubbling under the surface throughout.

[Great news for me ..... I'm only in season 1 and have just discovered that there are 9 seasons :) ].

The best thing about Blacklist is that it helped Ryan Eggold, who played Tom Keen, husband of Elizabeth Keen, get a new show called New Amsterdam. It's about a hospital in New York City that deals with many, many issues including the Covid-19 pandemic. Ryan Eggold is brilliant as the head of this hospital which happens to be the closest hospital to the United Nations and also deals with many international patients that have business with the UN.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The best thing about Blacklist is that it helped Ryan Eggold, who played Tom Keen, husband of Elizabeth Keen, get a new show called New Amsterdam. It's about a hospital in New York City that deals with many, many issues including the Covid-19 pandemic. Ryan Eggold is brilliant as the head of this hospital which happens to be the closest hospital to the United Nations and also deals with many international patients that have business with the UN.

Thanks, I’ll pencil that in once I’ve finished The Sopranos and The Blacklist.

I’ve just finished Season 1 of The Blacklist, I really like it. If it goes downhill or crashes later on, so be it, I’ll drop it at that time. James Spader is immense in what I’ve seen so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've slipped back into bad habits.

Bearing Sea Gold

Weapons grade lunatics suction dredge diving for gold from under the Ice of the Bearing Sea.

American Pickers.
Weapons grade lunatics living on unfeasibly big plots of land, off-loading scrap onto Frank and Mike.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

New Amsterdam is brilliant, though I had to stop watching the latest season as (understandably) it's all about COVID and is a bit too depressing to unwind down in the evening.

After having to hear and deal with COVID sh*t all day I just couldn't deal with a whole season of COVID hospital series!

Ryan Eggold is great though, I feel like he took a piece of Raymond Reddington into the series too.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
What we do in the shadows - series 3. Still as funny as ever and interesting to see that the 3 main characters in an American TV series are Brits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What we do in the shadows - series 3. Still as funny as ever and interesting to see that the 3 main characters in an American TV series are Brits.

I had the film on 'in the background' just the other day, still making me laugh.

Plus a Top 10 theme tune.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Looking forward to watching 'Dopesick'.

Mini series about the US opioid crisis/ Sackler family.

I was going to sign up to Disney+ for a bit for the 'The Beatles' thing but am at least as interested in this.

Lots of stuff online about the xxxxs who made a fortune out of effectively getting 100s of thousands of Americans hooked on medical grade heroin derivatives.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Looking forward to watching 'Dopesick'.

Mini series about the US opioid crisis/ Sackler family.

I was going to sign up to Disney+ for a bit for the 'The Beatles' thing but am at least as interested in this.

Lots of stuff online about the xxxxs who made a fortune out of effectively getting 100s of thousands of Americans hooked on medical grade heroin derivatives.

Current deal on Disney+ in celebration of their Disney+ day (I think it's the two year anniversary of their launch). 1.99 for your first month.

[tweet]1457618896479866881[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here