Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
New series of Hanna is on Amazon, enjoyed it not sure its quite as good as the others but still a good watch.

Just watched the first episode of American Rust, not sure how goods its going to be, seems a bit boring tbh

I forgot about Dopesick! Wish I had signed up for that Disney+ deal, I was a day late :facepalm:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
New season of Narco's is out, it's got a bit more confusing but still great!

Religiously got through this and as cinematically enjoyable as it was, I kinda shrugged at the end. Probably after 5 or six or whatever seasons of it, the "wow there's not been anything this good for ages" factor has worn off for me.

Slap bang in the middle of the majestic Sopranos at the mo' (and yes to my quiet surprise, it is as wonderful as everyone's been banging on about for 20 years) before hitting season 2 of Yellowstone, a good old sprawler of a story. Oh, and the new Gomorra's been out for a few weeks.

But as far as anything new and obscure goes, I still pay mighty attention to here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched the first episode of YellowJackets (by other means)

It appears to be a mix of Deliverance, Animal Farm and Lost, all wrapped up in a girls soccer team.

It has all the hallmarks of a classic American expensive series, ie, stick around too long before disappearing up its own jacksie.

But all that comes after it an excellent first series.

There's certainly more than enough to have me going back.
Might be worth looking out for when it comes over to here.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Flight Attendant.
It’s good but as with most yank stuff the story could have been told in half the episodes. Well made and entertaining though

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Looking forward to watching 'Dopesick'.

Mini series about the US opioid crisis/ Sackler family.

I was going to sign up to Disney+ for a bit for the 'The Beatles' thing but am at least as interested in this.

Lots of stuff online about the xxxxs who made a fortune out of effectively getting 100s of thousands of Americans hooked on medical grade heroin derivatives.

HAHA ... I signed up to Disney+ to watch The Beatles 'thing' ''' which I got through very quickly (and enjoyed) ... so wondered what else might be worth having a look at. Stumbled across Dopesick ... currently watching episode 4. Quite fascinating ... hard-hitting ... and very well made.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I've just watched the first episode of YellowJackets (by other means)

It appears to be a mix of Deliverance, Animal Farm and Lost, all wrapped up in a girls soccer team.

It has all the hallmarks of a classic American expensive series, ie, stick around too long before disappearing up its own jacksie.

But all that comes after it an excellent first series.

There's certainly more than enough to have me going back.
Might be worth looking out for when it comes over to here.

Thanks so much for this...

Seen all 5 that have been aired so far and really enjoying it...

Wonder if Juliette Lewis is as potty in real life as almost every character she plays and....

worryingly quite drawn to Christina Riccis even more potty character :blush:

Blinding series though, just needed after Dopesicks brilliance

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks so much for this...

Seen all 5 that have been aired so far and really enjoying it...

Wonder if Juliette Lewis is as potty in real life as almost every character she plays and....

worryingly quite drawn to Christina Riccis even more potty character :blush:

Blinding series though, just needed after Dopesicks brilliance

The second episode certainly begins with a thwack!

Anyhoo I've also been put onto

I'm not entirely sure others will go with it, what with the premise being the wake of a global pandemic.

Anyhoo, so far at least, that's been seriously played down (obviously) and is just the devise used to start the story.
The series his huge, set over at least 20 years.
2 episodes in and it's still very much in the jigsaw stage, definitely one to watch, if you're prepared to concentrate on watching.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Just watched this on Disney+, absolutely brilliant, took me through every emotion I have.

This looks good - the trailer at least reminds me of Touching the Void, and Last Breath (which had a similar effect on me to yours). The drama/doc genre is superb isn't it, when done well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FHFCzyAVUAAWPNV.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry folks but my American touchstones are in a rich vein of form, at the moment.
If you know where to look, even after just one and a half episodes, I recommend looking here:-

Had a lot of actual lol's watching the first episode.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh my.

Now 4 episodes in and my mind is blown.

How to with John Wilson is the BEST.

How To Cover Your Furniture takes such a turn it would be impossible to guess and I absolutely NEED someone else to watch it, so we can talk around the episode.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just finished YellowJackets.

I recommend it but...

... You've gotta go with it.
Needed to have been all in on series 1 of Lost.
Fan of Lord of the Files.
Enjoy a pinch of Scooby Doo!

They threw everything at the first series.
It starts and ends completely bonkers.

Going forward it can go off in many different directions.
If it starts down the spooky path then I'm out.
But if they manage to keep it on the straight and narrow it should be fun to stay with.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well. We’ve just completed The Sopranos.

Bought the dvd’s a few months ago, it was a long haul and we loved it.

Managed to not cheat throughout and google later events, so that controversial ending was a genuine surprise. Loved that touch.

Next, we’ll give Succession another go. We half heartedly tried it a couple of years back, but a couple of episodes in, meekly lost interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here