Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Watching the first season of the Sinner on Netflix, quite good as you find out the killer in the first episode but have to find out why they did it in the rest of the series.

There is a scene between the 2 sisters in episode 6 which is a little disturbing though.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Recent ones on Netflix are GLOW, Gorgeous Women of Wrestling. Funny with plenty of tits.
True detective, ex cops reliving their biggest, worst cases.
Mindhunter. 70s fbi psychology series.

I think I will start on the Americans tonight.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Watching the first season of the Sinner on Netflix, quite good as you find out the killer in the first episode but have to find out why they did it in the rest of the series.

There is a scene between the 2 sisters in episode 6 which is a little disturbing though.

Stays with you, doesn't it :ohmy:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Lack of football, so getting stuck in to Borat's new adventure.

On Netflix this week starts something that looks really promising.

Criminal : Groundbreaking procedural crime drama comprising 12 stories set in four different countries: France, Spain, Germany and the UK. It takes place exclusively within the confines of a police interview suite. This stripped-down, cat-and-mouse drama focuses on the intense mental conflict between detectives and suspects.

Oooh. Any initial thoughts on either of these?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Just finished Top Boy on Netflix, watched series 1 and 2 in anticipation of series 3 having read about it on the BBC website. 1 and 2 were excellent however series 3 was simply stunning, a British version of the Wire. The best British series in the last 10 yrs, the acting and writing absolutely world class.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Oooh. Any initial thoughts on either of these?

The Spy was good, a true story about a Jewish Spy infiltrating the Syrian govt. A 6 parter well worth watching, although obviously done with a smallish budget as exterior scenes were quite restricted. Sacha was good, although I kept expecting him to burst into Borat.

Criminal starts this week, but looks right up my street.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I got through the first 6 minutes of Carnival Row.
Blimey the longest 6 minutes of my life which I'll never get back.

It was only the continuity errors that kept me with it for as long as I did.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Mindhunter (seasons 1 and 2) on Netflix is based on actual events between 1977 to 1981 when two agents in the FBI Behavioural Science Unit set up a database on serial killers to establish their motives, their thinking, their planning etc to help in future investigations of serial killings by building psychological profiles of the perpetrators.

To do this they visited prisons across the US and interviewed over thirty serial killers.

The two agents in the Netflix series are fictionalised versions of the two FBI agents who set up the programme, John Douglas and Robert Ressler and have been given different names for the series.

However the serial killers who are interviewed in the series are also based on real serial killers and retain their real names. The serial killers featured in interview include amongst others Ed Kemper ("The Co-Ed Killer"), David Berkowitz ("Son of Sam"), Jerry Brudos, Richard Speck and Charles Manson who wasn't actually a serial killer himself but was responsible as the motivator for a series of killings.

The series is also set during the time the Atlanta Child Murders (Wayne Williams) and also the BTK murders (Dennis Spader) were going on and features the FBI's investigations into both.

Because of the factual backdrop it's an interesting series to watch. It also led me to do a little more research into some of the killers featured and what I found out about David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) in particular was quite surprising and enlightening and he is now a long way from the "grinning loon" depicted in many of the photos of his arrest which I remember seeing as a teenager in 1977.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh I got through the first 6 minutes of Carnival Row.
Blimey the longest 6 minutes of my life which I'll never get back.

It was only the continuity errors that kept me with it for as long as I did.

I've watched the first 2 episodes, quite enjoying it, gorgeous to look at in a Tim Burton kind of way. The Burgh (ie victorian London) is splendidly realised and very Jack the Ripper-esque. Plus I'd never seen a fairy getting fvcked, let alone seeing them in a threesome.

I'll carry on with it for now.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If you ever come across Another Life on Netflix, scroll past it. It's like they're trying to set a record for the most sci-fi cliches to appear in a single show.

Some great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/another_life/s01

"If Another Life were a spoof called Instagrammers in Space, it would be a work of genius. Unfortunately, it takes itself deadly seriously, to the point of unwitting self-parody."

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here