Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    This is also one thing that i've never understood. Is a pacemaker an actual competitor then as they have all the klobber and in that video the pacemaker won and they gave the win to him?!

Also do the pacemakers normally pull out once they're knackered 3/4s of the race gone?
    Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
    May 2016

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Banned

0 Not allowed!
      They are just they're to make sure they go a good gallop, so it's a truly run race and doesn't become a tactical affair.

0 Not allowed!
      Strange. I have a pacemaker but I still can't run any faster. Here is a picture of mine.

Exiled amongst the red and white, at the wrong end of the A/M27. (P)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.........Time to die.
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ATFC Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Seems like a bit of an outdated idea. Couldn't they just chase a Big Mac on a rail a la greyhounds and rabbits?
      have you seen many long distance runners recently? more likely to run faster if the big mac is chasing them.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls over Lewes View Post
      Sometimes.

Ha ha, that is brilliant
      What?

0 Not allowed!
      As others have said it's all about the money. Athletics is not particularly lucrative, even if you're world class. If you're not quite world class then you'll earn more by running for others than for yourself. It's a very short career. It's sort of similar to domestiques in cycling, but certainly isn't easy money!!

The film is like breakaways in cycling that don't get chased down - you let the 'unknown' racers go safe in the knowledge that if you get things right you'll be able to catch them before the end. Sometimes it doesn't work out as planned!
      "For 50 quid you're gonna want some ding & dong!!" - SB

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls over Lewes View Post
      Sometimes.

I knew there was a case of that during the Coe/Ovett years, was trying to scramble it through my brain til I got to this post.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      Why do they do it? Surely if you're good enough to run three quarters of a distance race at a fast pace, you might as well train a bit harder and actually compete?

I know they get paid for it, but do they have to sign a waiver promising they won't get to the last couple of laps and think "bollocks to this, I'm sticking it out and having a go at gold"?

Just seems a bit of an undignified existence for a professional runner, that's all.
      I know that Haile Gebrselassie's pace maker also runs Major marathons as a normal runner. I think he has won a few as well.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Grey bearded old man Cadiz Seagull's Avatar
      Between Bexhill and Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain

0 Not allowed!
      It's not only long distance races. When Roger Bannister ran the first sub-4 minute mile in 1954 he had two of them - Chris Brasher and Christopher Chataway.
      If history teaches us anything, it is that history teaches us nothing

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      But if they're good at shorter distances, why don't they compete at shorter distances then?
      But they wouldn't be though. A pacemaker for a 10,000 or 5,000 race runs fast for that type of distance - put him/her in a 1500 race and they'd be left behind.
      Tricky-Art for perusal at your leisure. Warning : No Albion content (yet - maybe sometime)

http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/TrickyDicky