Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pacemakers in athletics events

0 Not allowed!
    Why do they do it? Surely if you're good enough to run three quarters of a distance race at a fast pace, you might as well train a bit harder and actually compete?

I know they get paid for it, but do they have to sign a waiver promising they won't get to the last couple of laps and think "bollocks to this, I'm sticking it out and having a go at gold"?

Just seems a bit of an undignified existence for a professional runner, that's all.
    The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Why do they do it? Surely if you're good enough to run three quarters of a distance race at a fast pace, you might as well train a bit harder and actually compete?

I know they get paid for it, but do they have to sign a waiver promising they won't get to the last couple of laps and think "bollocks to this, I'm sticking it out and having a go at gold"?

Just seems a bit of an undignified existence for a professional runner, that's all.
      I thought you meant they were letting people with heat conditions into the Diamond league for a sec. - yes, slightly odd, but a pretty good living for your average Kenyan I would have thought. Presumably the ones that can step it up, are the actual competitors. I've always found it a bit artificial though.
      Tricky-Art for perusal at your leisure. Warning : No Albion content (yet - maybe sometime)

http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/TrickyDicky
      Members
      somewhere between Worcestershire, Somerset or Amsterdam

0 Not allowed!
      I seem to have a very hazy recall in a few of the early "big" marathons, pacemakers were used and actually did rather well (not sure if they won or not) much to the chagrin of the organisers. Even if it turned out out to be apochryphal I rather like the idea of the establishment shirts having to pay the winners' money to someone who was supposed to have moved over to make way for a celebrity
      1959/60 - 2018/19
      60 seasons following the Albion
      Aberystwyth Town FC ATFC Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Seems like a bit of an outdated idea. Couldn't they just chase a Big Mac on a rail a la greyhounds and rabbits?
      Founding member of the Brighton and Hove Albion - Republic of Ireland Supporter's Club: COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!
      "You can't talk to the sheep - he's a liar!"

0 Not allowed!

The pacemakers are clearly very good at shorter distances but dont have that extra talent that the elite have. Its fairly easy to maintain a pace for so long, but come the last bit of the race, they cant last the pace. Therefore at least they get to earn a living, and as far as the Africans are concerned, I think do look at long distance running as a team event.

Effectively the same in cycling as far as the Domestiques are concerned.

0 Not allowed!
      But if they're good at shorter distances, why don't they compete at shorter distances then?

On a vaguely related note, it's utterly RIDICULOUS the pace that top distance runners go at. Watching Mo Farah in Daegu, it occurred to me that he runs laps in the 10,000m faster than I'd do if I did a 400m or probably a 100m in fact...mind you, I am to sprinting what Nick Griffin is to community relations...but still!
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

0 Not allowed!
      It's all about the money in these events. Jenny Meadows has now got to run in a mixed event!!!
      Exiled amongst the red and white, at the wrong end of the A/M27. (P)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.........Time to die.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Sometimes.

0 Not allowed!
      On a vaguely related note, it's utterly RIDICULOUS the pace that top distance runners go at. Watching Mo Farah in Daegu, it occurred to me that he runs laps in the 10,000m faster than I'd do if I did a 400m or probably a 100m in fact...mind you, I am to sprinting what Nick Griffin is to community relations...but still!
      Even in my local running club, the faster runners are ridiculously quick. Last week on our training run, one guy ran up and down one of the hills three times while I was plodding up it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      But if they're good at shorter distances, why don't they compete at shorter distances then?

It makes me tired just thinking that after running 9600m at around 67seconds a lap he still managed to up it and run a 52 second last lap
      Elvis Get old, you can't even cuss someone and have it bother'em. Everything you do is worthless or sadly amusing.