Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is football / sport part of the entertainment business?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Posted a note on a mates Facebook saying the England where not entertaining last night and received the reply below:

"Its absolutely NOT an entertainment business , if you want that go to the flipping cinema"

I replied:

"Strange always go to watch sport to be entertained, for the social and for the occassion. If sports people are not entertainers why are they so highly paid. We only pay the addmission prices for 90 minutes of entertainment, agree it's not always entertaining but that's where the social / jolly comes in to play."

Should sport be looked upon as part of the entertainment business?

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Entertainment is only part of it and shouldn't be important when its your team

I'll go to games as a neutral if the football is going to be entertaining. I wouldn't stop going if my team/country was playing hideous football though.

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
In the case of football....

You support whatever club you choose (or chooses you) and you follow that club. The chairman of said club runs it as a business and makes business decisions such as employing a manager who sets the team up as they want them to play and invests in the team to get results in an attempt to get as many paying customers through the turnstiles. This, if works, can increase gates, and therefore revenue, and therefore potential to invest in the team.... and so on. The aim being to get the team as high up the ladder as possible to increase turnover... and profit.

In short, not entertainment but business. We as paying customers can choose at anytime to withdraw or enter our support, we all just have different thresholds at which we do this.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Professional sport is most certainly about entertainment. If it does not entertain it will not get support. To say it is part of "the entertainment business" (with all the tack that has associated with it) is another matter.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I totally agree that the entertainment is out of our (the fans) hands but we are making it sound that our attendance is a labour of love.

Sorry I still feel that sportsmen (and women) are there to entertain (or to try) me. The day I am no longer enjoying it and no longer being entertained will be the day I stop following sport.

Why do so many people subscrible to Sky Sports surely it's to be enterained in your front room.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Football is an expression of identity and tribalism way more than it's about entertainment.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Football is an expression of identity and tribalism way more than it's about entertainment.

To you, maybe, but if that's all it was it wouldn't exist the way it does today.

To me, football is "live, unscripted drama", and a social event.

But the theatre is part of the entertainment business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here