Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
What's your opinion on Ashley Barnes? Few of the people I go with think he's 'shit' but I think he's under rated and has alot of potential, he's only 21 and got us 20 goals last season and has already started to prove his doubters wrong this season by scoring 4 already. What do you think of him?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Think he has improved a lot since last year. His hold up/link up and strength are so much better. Not sure how effective he will be out on the right like he was on Saturday though. Never likely to beat a man or anything.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Can't say he's a procen goalscorer at this level yet - 2 of his goals have been penalties and one was a tap in. However I think that given time he could become a good player at this level but does not have the pace/strength/touch to go any further.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You cant really fault the lad as long as he keeps scoring, struggles against a strong back line but holds his own more times then not.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
He is better than I was lead to believe.
2 of the 4 have been pens. however pens were a problem last season
As the season goes on I assume he will be good cover for CMS and Hoskins

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Can't say he's a procen goalscorer at this level yet - 2 of his goals have been penalties and one was a tap in. However I think that given time he could become a good player at this level but does not have the pace/strength/touch to go any further.

Goals a goal at the end of the day, it may have been a tap in but it's all about getting into them positions which he is good at.

He's still young and he can adapt on his pace and strength if need be.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
Is his Albion games to goals ratio something like 2:1?

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I see Barnes as being a strong squad player. Last year he had a knack of getting himself into goalscoring positions. This is no ineffective thing - look at kevin phillips. I think hoskins has more rounded qualities, but Barnes will prove to be an effective super-sub.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Think he has improved a lot since last year. His hold up/link up and strength are so much better. Not sure how effective he will be out on the right like he was on Saturday though. Never likely to beat a man or anything.

Kind of agree, think his movement is great generally, the one thing he really lacked or needed to work on from last year was composure in front of goal. He seems to be taking his chances this year, lets hope he can eradicate a few howlers in front of goal because he certainly gets in position to put a good number away.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He scores goals, which is obviously great, and he has done well to continue scoring at this level, because I had doubted whether he would be able to. However, I really don't see much to speak of besides his goal scoring attributes, especially when he is played next to people like Murray (prick) and CMS, who do so much for the team besides just netting goals.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
His goal scoring record is impressive but i see him as our version of Bendtner, He fades out of games and doesn't get on the ball as much as he should.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal

And the goal against Cardiff? What more does the boy need to do? People complained he didn't score enough, but now he scoring but they're the wrong type of goals. I assume you missed all of our penalty misses last season? The lad has improved no end and deserves a lot of credit for his hard work.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Was outstanding on Saturday- was consistently winning headers at the back to relieve the pressure and got into some great positions.

One of my favourite players as he'll always give 100%

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
He's OK, still young though, get's in the right positions and his record this looks impressive but take away the 2 pens, and you get a more accurate look, misses too many chances. Fully expect him too be a benchwarming when Hoskins is fit.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
always feel when there's a 50 / 50 ball in the air he's not going to win anything ,always jumps like he's scared to get hurt or something ??

when murray went for the ball you always felt he was going to win it most of the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here