Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A word of warning about live streaming.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
As I keep seeing people asking about live streams I thought i'd post this for your info.

It may seem like every match has a live stream but in truth they just advertise it to get you on their sites.
Many will promise you a live feed for which ever game you want to watch if you download something.
The truth is you end up downloading a virus, Conduit Engine or Babylon Engine to name two will take over your pc and I've been told although I can't be sure that this gives hackers easy access to your pc. I tried to download a stream site and it took me 3 hrs to get rid of Conduit Engine and let me tell you it wasn't straight forward.
If it's not listed on MYP2P then don't bother because MYP2P will give you all the live feeds
Sky, Fox Sports, B365, JustinTV, Veetle and many more that I can't remember.
You can pay for live streams safley on some sites but why would you bother when you can watch for free on MYP2P

Read this link for more info What is conduit engine

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Not trying to be smart here but I use Ubuntu so I will be fine. The same goes for Mac users too I hope. But yes the amount of rubbish harvesting in the URLs is evil.
Next thing you know Barclays Fraud Department telephones you to say that someone has been using your card.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Thanks Adrian
I usually dont bother if they want me to download anything, i mean if you can normally watch without a download and suddenly some site wants you to download something then suspicion has to be raised surely.

But, can anyone explain Sopcast to me?, I tried to open a link to watch a game on sopcast and it just wouldn't open, do you have to download something for this? is it safe? what is the difference between a normal stream and sopcast?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Thanks Adrian
I usually dont bother if they want me to download anything, i mean if you can normally watch without a download and suddenly some site wants you to download something then suspicion has to be raised surely.

But, can anyone explain Sopcast to me?, I tried to open a link to watch a game on sopcast and it just wouldn't open, do you have to download something for this? is it safe? what is the difference between a normal stream and sopcast?

For Windows XP
Goto SopCast - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com and install sopcast
Once installed look for the sopcast stream on myp2p.eu and just click the link and it will automatically open in Sopcast

For Ubuntu
You need to open a terminal and enter the following command
sudo apt-get install sopcast-player

Once installed you launch sopcast from the terminal by entering sopcast-player if it does not open from the Applications >> Sound & Video menu.
Then goto myp2p.eu and just copy and paste the link in to Sopcast

For Mac
I am unsure. PLenty of people have a mac here and can tell you.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Thanks for the links Adrian

But i still dont understand what is the difference with Sopcast? I mean i normally click on one of the other links on my p2p and it opens a seperate window showing the game, so why download Sopcast player? Is it better quality? does it buffer better?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
All you need is Sopcast and veetle - most streams are one or t'other - and just stick to myp2p to find links as if it's not on there it's probably not available. One of the mods from myp2p has his own site, magictv.co which is very reliable and usually very good quality, streaming sky sports/espn for games and SSN when there is no sport on.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Sopcast isn't available for Mac. There are ways to get it running, but it looks like a massive ballache and I doubt it's worth it.

Nine times out of ten you can find another stream that doesn't need it anyway so I'd avoid Sopcast streams if your'e a Mac user

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for the links Adrian

But i still dont understand what is the difference with Sopcast? I mean i normally click on one of the other links on my p2p and it opens a seperate window showing the game, so why download Sopcast player? Is it better quality? does it buffer better?

Sopcast does not need flash installed or web browser to play the stream. Its a standalone player, I suppose like Windows Media Player. This also means you don't get annoying popups which slows your browser or crash the complete browser. Secondly I have always found the streams to be a lot smoother with SopCast.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Sopcast does not need flash installed or web browser to play the stream. Its a standalone player, I suppose like Windows Media Player. This also means you don't get annoying popups which slows your browser or crash the complete browser. Secondly I have always found the streams to be a lot smoother with SopCast.

Cheers mate, will give it a try :thumbsup:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sopcast and veetle I've used for years to watch American sports and never a problem. Other ones do indeed show in a browser. Anything else and I would avoid it like the plague personally. If you go to google there will be a link to a rogue site for every match but they are not streams just ways to get advertising clicks and viruses spread. Myp2p is proper streams again with years and years of good history.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
good man! I have moved to linux mint for the last few months as the list of changes i needed to make to a vanilla install were getting longer with each release

Re Sopcast, I understood it is a P2P network, using lots of people's bandwidth to stream stuff, like skype does

Reason why I love Linux, so simple to set up a LAMP server. Even better when your doing web development because you can run the site locally.
And as per usual no worries about viruses, malware. If I do need to check a site looks ok in IE I just start up a virtual machine running XP.

I heard Linux Mint is actually better than Ubuntu these days. Ubuntu has messed up a bit with the Unity interface, but I just use Ubuntu classic.

DanielT

Reason why I love Linux, so simple to set up a LAMP server. Even better when your doing web development because you can run the site locally.
And as per usual no worries about viruses, malware. If I do need to check a site looks ok in IE I just start up a virtual machine running XP.

I heard Linux Mint is actually better than Ubuntu these days. Ubuntu has messed up a bit with the Unity interface, but I just use Ubuntu classic.

mint uses a menu button instead of the 'applications - places - system' panel bar at the top, and that is basically the one major thing I do immediately, i love that top panel!

unity is awful. i never thought i'd stop using ubuntu, and even suffered through the buttons on the left, but finally had enough!

i ran a drupal photo gallery on a LAMP stack on spare pc a few years ago. very easy to set up. and for speed it really beat ftp'ing files to a remote system!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here